Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

And how you can find solid to very good NFL RBs in round 4-7. 

Yes.

One of the biggest issues with team-building right now is the rookie wage scale.  It used to be that if you spent a 1st on a QB you were gonna pay through the nose for Matt Stafford et al.  Now you basically get punished if you don't take a highly paid position in the first because all positions earn the same contract.

I wonder if there wouldn't be more appetite for RBs in the first if their rookie deals were 4/32 and the QBs rookie deals were 4/120

15 minutes ago, Striker said:

Folks also just need to look at the upcoming draft class. Yes, nothing is guaranteed, but you can find very good RBs round 2 and later because of how teams are valuing RBs. Hell, Javonte Williams, Breece Hall, and Kenneth Walker all fell to round 2.

I'd rather spend that 2nd round pick on OL or defense. 

The contract JT demands is the biggest factor. 10-12m/yr, I jump all over that. If he wants 15m+/yr with high guarantees, I'd pass.  

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Some money into the RB position. The cost to sign Taylor would blow our RB budget WAY higher than it's been in like 30 years. 

1. Why would we spend that kind of capital to upgrade our #2 Running Back? Dillon is fine as a #2 Running Back. I hate the pick and agree he's a disappointment. But that's no reason to throw good money after bad?

2. Smart teams are looking to move on from their backs in years 4 and 5. Not too bring them in. 

Look.  I'm with you.  I don't want another expensive RB on the roster.  But, if I'm seeing the other side....

Our WR's are all on rookie deals for a few more years.  Our QB cost is lower now than it will be in the future.

If you wanted Taylor, now is a great time to add a higher priced RB to the team, if you can figure out how to use him and Jones at the same time.  And maybe that would mean more Jones as a WR.

I would think you could extend Taylor for 3 years and have a deal that works.  By the time he's near the end, we will be re-upping Wr's and can move the money elsewhere.

I can see that as a scenario that would work, even though I do not agree with it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

AJ Dillon is terrible and if Aaron Jones is out for any extended period of time, our offense will be average at best. Better to spend money on RBs now when our WR room is dirt cheap. Sign JT to a 3 year extension, by the time his contract is up, Watson and Doubs will be up for new contracts.

And now I re-learned the lesson of reading the entire thread before I comment.  Sigh.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Look.  I'm with you.  I don't want another expensive RB on the roster.  But, if I'm seeing the other side....

Our WR's are all on rookie deals for a few more years.  Our QB cost is lower now than it will be in the future.

If you wanted Taylor, now is a great time to add a higher priced RB to the team, if you can figure out how to use him and Jones at the same time.  And maybe that would mean more Jones as a WR.

I would think you could extend Taylor for 3 years and have a deal that works.  By the time he's near the end, we will be re-upping Wr's and can move the money elsewhere.

I can see that as a scenario that would work, even though I do not agree with it.

There isn't ever a "Good time to add a high priced Running Back."

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 15412 said:

We all saw what Bak tweeted after the Rodgers injury.

Is it possible to require all NFL teams to use grass?  How many full domes are there and would they have to roll out new turf a few times a year?  Is the newest forms of turf grass like the Packer use as safe as grass or close to it?

Is there validity to what Bak is demanding?  

The short answer is no.

The longer answer;

1. As of right now, there are ten out of thirty(two have double tennants) stadiums that are full dome or partially retractable(Mercedez-Benz in Atlanta has a hole that opens up- and looks like a butthole from above). Only Allegiant in Las Vegas and State Farm in Arizona have a retractable grass field that can be moved outdoors for maintenance outside of games. They were also fairly new stadiums built on outskirts with the space needed for that retractable field. None of the other eight domed venues has such a luxury, not without spending a titanic amount of money in deconstruction and rebuilding surrounding the venue, not to mention the renovations needed to make those stadiums capable of holding the apparatus needed to move a grass field inside, making it titanic times two. And for that matter, who pays? NFL and the teams in question will duck as much of the bill as they can, and will screw over the cities. (and this is the cheaper option, the 'rolling out new turf' question you had might be even more expensive then this, as it's a perpetual cost)

2. Of the remaining twenty outdoor venues, only eight have a field that is artificial. The primary reasons tend to be either the weather(most of whom are in the northern half of the country and thus get fierce winters) or price, because maintaining a grass field can also be expensive in the long-term. The cost would not be as monumental as it would for the domed venues, but it would be extensive and perpetual. Less of an excuse, but still a bit too much of a wall to climb over.

3. Lambeau Field's turf is a bit unique; it's still majorly regular grass but interlaced with artificial turf fibers. From wiki; "From 2007 until 2018, the playing surface used the Desso GrassMaster system, which has synthetic fibers woven into the traditional Kentucky bluegrass sod.[62][63][64] In 2018, the Grassmaster surface was replaced with polyethylene-based SIS Grass."
For a more in-depth article, click here;

https://www.packers.com/news/new-turf-ready-to-welcome-packers-into-2018-season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I have read nothing but bad things about Michael Jordan. Quite frankly he isn't a very good player.

An absolute turnstile. He's the guy who ended Burrow's rookie season after landing on him.

Can't Guard Mike.

That's what they call him.. because he can't guard

Edited by Chili

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

I have read nothing but bad things about Michael Jordan. Quite frankly he isn't a very good player.

An absolute turnstile.

If he was good, he would have been on someone's 53. He is a late in the season emergency body, nothing more. 

8 hours ago, Leader said:

One benefit and hopefully the redemption of having an OLine coach as your OC. He wants that unit to be the engine of everything and with the talent we have there, it could really get rolling assuming 10 keeps progressing and the skill guys take big steps. 

6 hours ago, Refugee said:

One benefit and hopefully the redemption of having an OLine coach as your OC. He wants that unit to be the engine of everything and with the talent we have there, it could really get rolling assuming 10 keeps progressing and the skill guys take big steps. 

Lots on film when plays are called and those plays get run.  Hopefully MLF has extensions off the stuff on film that can be used later in the season.

18 hours ago, 15412 said:

We all saw what Bak tweeted after the Rodgers injury.

Is it possible to require all NFL teams to use grass?  How many full domes are there and would they have to roll out new turf a few times a year?  Is the newest forms of turf grass like the Packer use as safe as grass or close to it?

Is there validity to what Bak is demanding?  

I'm pretty sure the seams in the natural grass from, "rolling it out twice a year," would be as or more dangerous than turf itself.