Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I saw him drop once in a zone blitz.  It was funny.  He was chopping those feet, head on swivel and he was really checking out that hook zone on the left hash!  That one stood out to me, because I hadn't seen us do a zone blitz like that in a long time.  I'm sure he had, but I just didn't see it like I saw that one with Kenny.

Just wait until Kenny, Preston and LVN all drop at once.  SF will probably just give up and concede the game.

• Like 2

Looking at the list of Packers free agents after this season I am guessing they probably won't sign any of them outside of maybe a few veteran minimum deals. This is not a popular opinion I'm sure, but I would like to see them re-sign Savage. He has a Casey Hayward type career feel to me, the potential is there, some guys take a little longer than other as we seen with Hayward. Also think the defenses improvement lately coincides with the return of Savage to the lineup. Thinking he could be had on a very reasonable deal.    

• Like 2

Just now, R T said:

Looking at the list of Packers free agents after this season I am guessing they probably won't sign any of them outside of maybe a few veteran minimum deals. This is not a popular opinion I'm sure, but I would like to see them re-sign Savage. He has a Casey Hayward type career feel to me, the potential is there, some guys take a little longer than other as we seen with Hayward. Also think the defenses improvement lately coincides with the return of Savage to the lineup. Thinking he could be had on a very reasonable deal.    

First off, I have had little use for Savage.  I think I've made that clear.  I think I've always been clear that I thought his best role is the slot corner.  Near the LOS and the ball.

But....it could very well be that I haven't noticed him much (outside of the obvious) because he's doing his job deep.  He may be better at defending deep space than I give him credit for.

Zero issues bringing him back at the right number.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Oddball question... why is marcus peters unsigned?  I would think the Ravens would pick him up given his background there.

If Jaire doesn't go, would it make sense for GB?

Because he is a horrible person, not sure why anyone would want to bring that into the Packers young locker room. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

First off, I have had little use for Savage.  I think I've made that clear.  I think I've always been clear that I thought his best role is the slot corner.  Near the LOS and the ball.

But....it could very well be that I haven't noticed him much (outside of the obvious) because he's doing his job deep.  He may be better at defending deep space than I give him credit for.

Zero issues bringing him back at the right number.

No clue what it will cost, but I won't be surprised at all if he's back. He's good in the locker room and Gute obviously valued him highly in the draft. I could see him a Nick Perry type situation where he signs a modest 1-year deal to return, and then if he plays well in 2024, he cashes in with something longer term (just hope for a different result).

22 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

No clue what it will cost, but I won't be surprised at all if he's back. He's good in the locker room and Gute obviously valued him highly in the draft. I could see him a Nick Perry type situation where he signs a modest 1-year deal to return, and then if he plays well in 2024, he cashes in with something longer term (just hope for a different result).

A few notes: 

Due to his void year contract, Savage already costs us $5m in 2024. So if we retain him for say, $6m, his net cost to the Packers is only $1m. And depending on how the deal is structured, you could probably push his cap hits out farther. I'm sure Gute wants to quit the cap gymnastics, but it's a move I'd make.

My other note. At what point has Savage played well enough to demand more than a 1-year prove it type deal? He's PFF's 18th highest rated safety in the league, with the 24th highest coverage grade. I'm not sure I have an answer to the topic, but it seems like he's much closer to a 4 year extension than a 1 year prove it deal.

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

A few notes: 

Due to his void year contract, Savage already costs us $5m in 2024. So if we retain him for say, $6m, his net cost to the Packers is only $1m. And depending on how the deal is structured, you could probably push his cap hits out farther. I'm sure Gute wants to quit the cap gymnastics, but it's a move I'd make.

My other note. At what point has Savage played well enough to demand more than a 1-year prove it type deal? He's PFF's 18th highest rated safety in the league, with the 24th highest coverage grade. I'm not sure I have an answer to the topic, but it seems like he's much closer to a 4 year extension than a 1 year prove it deal.

Totally agree on that last part.

I see him very likely to get either a 2 or 3 year extension from the Packers worth between 15-25m

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

that's not how this works.  Packers owe that 6M no matter what, and it doesn't offset whatever contract he signs with GB.  Any money he signs counts against the cap on top of the 5M in dead money from the void year.

Reason being, he was supposed to cost 11M cap hit this year.  But they decided to spread some of that into next year so half this year half next.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

that's not how this works.  Packers owe that 6M no matter what, and it doesn't offset whatever contract he signs with GB.  Any money he signs counts against the cap on top of the 5M in dead money from the void year.

Reason being, he was supposed to cost 11M cap hit this year.  But they decided to spread some of that into next year so half this year half next.

I don't think this is true, last year there was numerous posts on Twitter by the beat writers one the guys we had void contracts with, and how that money would not count against the cap if the Packers signed them to an extension.

Usually a voided contract hit means a hit given to a player whose contract expires. If the contract does not expire, the void penalty is not charged. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, R T said:

? Hayward was a good young player in GB right away. He just couldn't stay healthy.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think this is true, last year there was numerous posts on Twitter by the beat writers one the guys we had void contracts with, and how that money would not count against the cap if the Packers signed them to an extension.

Usually a voided contract hit means a hit given to a player whose contract expires. If the contract does not expire, the void penalty is not charged. 

it is true in the sense that the bill will come due later.  They would have to re-sign him (extend him) before his contract expires.  The money would then be due at the end of the new deal. 

No matter what, that money is a topper to whatever deal we sign, not an either or proposition, or something that has offsets.