Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Old Guy said:

Yep, sitting in that draft room did some permanent damage to him. He was pretty shocked when SF didn't take him. As 'smart' as he is, one would think he would realize that going to San Francisco was the best thing that never happened to him. 

I actually meant after leaving GB. I think he BADLY wanted to be in SF in 2022 and 2023

• Like 1

In the past, I've been critical of Packers GM Brian Gutekunst for not aggressively surrounding an alltime great QB with more talent. Last night I filled out a ballot and wrote in his name for Executive of the Year. For 2023, he was right and I was wrong. Respect.

It would be fantastic if the league collected votes for major awards both before and after the season, just to see how wildly different expectations can be.  I'd bet Douglass would have been the runaway winner of a pre-season poll, with Gute probably not getting a single vote.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It would be fantastic if the league collected votes for major awards both before and after the season, just to see how wildly different expectations can be.  I'd bet Douglass would have been the runaway winner of a pre-season poll, with Gute probably not getting a single vote.

Lol Silver hedging that he was always right about him before this year though

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

That was one of the most inspiring articles I have ever read.

I haven’t bought a jersey for myself in twenty years. I might get Romeo’s now!

Edit: After some time to think, his story isn’t inspiring because he’s had hard times. And he did face painful loss of family support in an environment where default social support comes from gangs instead of families anyway. The fact that Romeo understands this shows constant reflection. He somehow, against all odds, adopted a survival strategy of choosing the right pathways that were presented to him—and this in an environment where almost every influence other than his brother and coaches pulled the opposite way.

And then he has this Chauncy Gardner take on his own success. He doesn’t trust success. He trusts making the right decisions every day. He doesn’t set crazy goals. He just works. Work is what he trusts. And he trusts a very small circle of people.

I don’t know if I’m talking Maslow’s hierarchy or Buddha, but Romeo is way above the rest of us in the search for meaning.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Loved reading Doubs' story, but damn is Tyler Dunne taking LSD while writing these?

I think sitting with Romeo made him trippy and he went all beat poetry by eliminating journalistic transitions and chronological order.

Or gummies. How close does he live to Upper Michigan?

• Like 1

Don't really see any reason to restructure Rashan Gary.  His cap hit ($15.9M) isn't outrageous, the Packers aren't hurting for cap space, and the savings aren't insane ($5.3M).  I'd only restructure him fi the Packers needed a bit of extra cap space.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Don't really see any reason to restructure Rashan Gary.  His cap hit ($15.9M) isn't outrageous, the Packers aren't hurting for cap space, and the savings aren't insane ($5.3M).  I'd only restructure him fi the Packers needed a bit of extra cap space.

We need the cap space.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

We need the cap space.

Unless you think the Packers are going to go spend a lot of money in FA, I don't think the Packers are going to be needing a ton of cap space.  Releasing Bakhtiari and Campbell open another ~$24M.  Aaron Jones is probably going to get a paycut, so figure another ~$6M there.  Jaire Alexander probably has some (if not all) restructuring going on there.  Jordan Love is really the only "big deal" the Packers have going into the offseason.  And as much as I tossed around the idea of front loading Jordan Love's new deal, it just doesn't seem like something the Packers would do.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Unless you think the Packers are going to go spend a lot of money in FA, I don't think the Packers are going to be needing a ton of cap space.  Releasing Bakhtiari and Campbell open another ~$24M.  Aaron Jones is probably going to get a paycut, so figure another ~$6M there.  Jaire Alexander probably has some (if not all) restructuring going on there.  Jordan Love is really the only "big deal" the Packers have going into the offseason.  And as much as I tossed around the idea of front loading Jordan Love's new deal, it just doesn't seem like something the Packers would do.

I don't have the Packers releasing Bakhtiari in my projections. They'll do a re-worked deal to keep him.