Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

46 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Yeah. He’s just doing that thing that goofball athletes do where they write posts that can be interpreted multiple ways. For some reason they get off on this. 

Maybe he's retiring?  He's kind of an odd duck.  Figure he will be back, but who knows with him. 

52 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

So this could be me projecting my own views here, but my bet is that Gute extends Love with a pretty flat contract in terms of spending. I doubt there's two years of low cap hits followed by a huge cap number at the end. If I were Gute I'd make it a percentage of the projected cap. Why have large fluctuations in the spending of the most important asset in the franchise?

My bet is that Gute doesn't do anything too different to what other GM's around the league have done with their QB's

Edited by OzPackfan

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Because the cap goes up every year? You're closing the most valuable window a football team can have. Elite QB on modest/rookie cap hits.

I guess that's kinda my point. Love is basically done with his rookie deal, so any modest/lower cap hits are going to come at the expense of other future/higher cap hits.

11 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

My bet is that Gute doesn't do anything too different to what other GM's around the league have done with their QB's

This is something I find fascinating. When you look at the top QB contracts in the NFL, it's full of wild fluctuations.

Mahomes' cap hit goes from $37m this year to $57m next year.

Lamar's goes $22m (2023) - $32m (2024) - $44m (2025) - $75m (2026)

Josh Allen goes from $19m this year to $47m next year.

Burrows goes $20m (2023) - $30m (2024) - $46m (2025)

Herbert goes $8m (2023) - $19m (2024) - $37m (2025)

I guess the more I look into this, a lot of the low cap hits in 2023 were restructures to free up cap space for a championship run (Mahomes, Allen) or the end of the rookie deal (2023). So most GMs are crafting the contract with pretty steady cap hits, but then trying to maximize spending now and pushing the cap hits to later. But I spent too much time researching the post, so I'm not going to delete it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I guess that's kinda my point. Love is basically done with his rookie deal, so any modest/lower cap hits are going to come at the expense of other future/higher cap hits.

The day of signing a player to a contract and letting it sit is over, embrace the new era of restructure/void/extend. The Packers will do to Love like they've done to every other recent extension, he'll have some monster hits the last 2 years of his deal.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The day of signing a player to a contract and letting it sit is over, embrace the new era of restructure/void/extend. The Packers will do to Love like they've done to every other recent extension, he'll have some monster hits the last 2 years of his deal.

So this is my theory. The restructure/void/extend era started with the 2019 free agent class, as way to maximize Rodgers last few years. 2019, 2020, 2021 were the window. 2022 was the last gasp. 2023 was the start of cap repair (4th in the league dead cap). 2024 will be the final part of cap repair.

I guess I'm too old fashioned. This season the cap was $225m. The Packers carried $67m in dead cap. The median team carried $33m. Basically a third of the league carries 25% of their payroll as dead cap hits. It just seems absurd to me to waste that much of your limited cap space.

Would I do it if I had a HOF QB with 3-5 years left? Yes, for sure. Would I do it if I had a QB who has 15 years left and could be a top 3 player in the league? I would not. But like I said, I'm frugal. 

Edited by pgwingman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

This is something I find fascinating. When you look at the top QB contracts in the NFL, it's full of wild fluctuations.

Mahomes' cap hit goes from $37m this year to $57m next year.

Lamar's goes $22m (2023) - $32m (2024) - $44m (2025) - $75m (2026)

Josh Allen goes from $19m this year to $47m next year.

Burrows goes $20m (2023) - $30m (2024) - $46m (2025)

Herbert goes $8m (2023) - $19m (2024) - $37m (2025)

I guess the more I look into this, a lot of the low cap hits in 2023 were restructures to free up cap space for a championship run (Mahomes, Allen) or the end of the rookie deal (2023). So most GMs are crafting the contract with pretty steady cap hits, but then trying to maximize spending now and pushing the cap hits to later. But I spent too much time researching the post, so I'm not going to delete it.

Now look at how much of those cap hits are flexible to be pushed further out.  Yes you will be taking a big hit eventually, but having the flexibility has been a better route

On 1/21/2024 at 7:45 PM, OzPackfan said:

I'd argue the knee works because he was able to play 1 game at a high level this year. The issue was that the cartilage near the femur is causing fluid to build up which needs to be fixed. This was also noted during the initial reconstruction but wasn't fixed because they weren't certain it would cause an issue.

It's not like he took the year off for a full reconstruction again. Both he and the Packers were in agreement that the issue he has could be fixed hence why he had surgery.

The Green Bay Packers are legally obligated to pay to fix his knee. Obviously, they failed to get him right last offseason.. He didn’t make it past week 1. And while he may have played the best game of all time for that 1 game, that’s a clear sign his knee still isn’t correct. This time, we’re going to cut him a few moments after he’s declared healthy enough to play because we do not trust that knee. Business of football. We have to get him healthy to get him off our books without a major injury settlement. He isn’t 19 million dollars better than Walker. Not even if you assume he doesn’t miss time. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Now look at how much of those cap hits are flexible to be pushed further out.  Yes you will be taking a big hit eventually, but having the flexibility has been a better route

Yeah I'm not opposed to having flexibility, but in general I think there's 8 teams a year who end up using that flexibility to make their run. Seven of these teams end up not winning, and then they're stuck trying to figure out what to do next. For example, the Bills  will be in a position where they have to start cap repair right as their QB's cap hit rises. The Cowboys the same. Now you're stuck with a QB in his prime and you have to spend a couple years repairing the cap.

17 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

The Green Bay Packers are legally obligated to pay to fix his knee. Obviously, they failed to get him right last offseason.. He didn’t make it past week 1. And while he may have played the best game of all time for that 1 game, that’s a clear sign his knee still isn’t correct. This time, we’re going to cut him a few moments after he’s declared healthy enough to play because we do not trust that knee. Business of football. We have to get him healthy to get him off our books without a major injury settlement. He isn’t 19 million dollars better than Walker. Not even if you assume he doesn’t miss time. 

Yeah, it's a little more nuanced than just cutting him loose.  I think we are going to have to wait it out a while.  We might have to bring him back, and it would probably be worth it if the knee is right and financials can be worked out.  I just don't trust the knee at this point.  

• Like 1