Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

29 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

5th I'd say.  In this case GB ACTUALLY has little leverage if they aren't willing to just hold him

Kadarius Toney fetched a 3rd round pick despite being less productive (albeit with an extra year of team control) than Doubs.  If a 5th is all we're getting, I'd hold onto him and let him sit himself on the bench.

• Like 4

Doubs imo is our best WR. With Watson showing inconsistency due to his injuries Doubs on the other hand took advantage of this by showcasing his importance to our offence by keeping our passing game humming with his reliability on 3rd/4th down, his crisp route running and excellent jump ball skills. He is the most all-rounded of our WRs. You would've thought his performances last year and in this year's training camp helped solidify his #1/#2 status. You can tell he is a serious dude and an extremely hard worker.

I expected him to greatly expand his role this season. I'm sure he did too.

Throughout the entirety of last season and training camp Reed was always seen as the #3 WR in the team.

Instead Reed who as been used as a slot/gadget guy up to this point has seen an uptick in usage instead of Doubs. I can understand his frustrations, he's getting closer to contract year and he's not being given the opportunities to show the NFL he's the #1 guy. The games where Love played he was not made the focal point. Reed went off against the Eagles and when Love came back Reed went off again against the Vikings.

It's understandable that Doubs got a bit antsy and i can imagine seeing the game plan for this week got him even more antsy. It was probably a fixture he has circled in his diary, a source of motivation and the game plan had him doing standard WR stuff instead of big play WR stuff. However the way he reacted was not the way to go. He should've kept his head down and expressed his frustrations privately whilst still turning up to practices. Sometimes standard WR stuff can unexpectedly lead to big plays. The season is long and he will no doubtly get his opportunities. Doubs only hurt himself with his reaction.

I'm not too worried about this drama. It will sort itself out. He's clearly better than Reed and Wicks. He has 100+ catches potential in him.

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Doubs imo is our best WR. With Watson showing inconsistency due to his injuries Doubs on the other hand took advantage of this by showcasing his importance to our offence by keeping our passing game humming with his reliability on 3rd/4th down, his crisp route running and excellent jump ball skills. He is the most all-rounded of our WRs. You would've thought his performances last year and in this year's training camp helped solidify his #1/#2 status. You can tell he is a serious dude and an extremely hard worker.

I expected him to greatly expand his role this season. I'm sure he did too.

Throughout the entirety of last season and training camp Reed was always seen as the #3 WR in the team.

Instead Reed who as been used as a slot/gadget guy up to this point has seen an uptick in usage instead of Doubs. I can understand his frustrations, he's getting closer to contract year and he's not being given the opportunities to show the NFL he's the #1 guy. The games where Love played he was not made the focal point. Reed went off against the Eagles and when Love came back Reed went off again against the Vikings.

It's understandable that Doubs got a bit antsy and i can imagine seeing the game plan for this week got him even more antsy. It was probably a fixture he has circled in his diary, a source of motivation and the game plan had him doing standard WR stuff instead of big play WR stuff. However the way he reacted was not the way to go. He should've kept his head down and expressed his frustrations privately whilst still turning up to practices. Sometimes standard WR stuff can unexpectedly lead to big plays. The season is long and he will no doubtly get his opportunities. Doubs only hurt himself with his reaction.

I'm not too worried about this drama. It will sort itself out. He's clearly better than Reed and Wicks. He has 100+ catches potential in him.

Doubs better than Reed is......a take. Not sure you'll get a single agreement there.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Doubs better than Reed is......a take. Not sure you'll get a single agreement there.

The whole of last season, the whole of training camp, wherever I read comments about our WRs whether its on here, reddit, youtube, twitter, articles, blogs, they all had Watson and Doubs as our best WRs.

So yes....people would agree with me.

A couple of good Reed performances does not change that....yet.

Edited by Chili

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You have anything to  support this?

Reed was on par or better than Doubs in 2023

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

The whole of last season, the whole of training camp, wherever I read comments about our WRs whether its on here, reddit, youtube, twitter, articles, blogs, they all had Watson and Doubs as our best WRs.

Well I believed Doubs would lead the Packers in receiving yards and catches.  Doesn't mean I believe he's the best WR.  Right now as it stands Reed is clearly #1, followed by Watson and then Doubs.  Wicks #4.  

If Doubs goal is to get a big contract this was a horrible miscalculation.  Potential suitors will view him as a potential head case and that will drop his market value.  Dude should just do his job and be a professional.  The money will take care of itself.  

On the bright side if we choose to resign him it won't be as expensive.  Really dumb move.  He'll have to keep his mouth shut and be a team guy if he wants a payday.  

It's in Doubs court now.  Either he gets his head straight and fast or he'll likely be traded.  No decent trade offers and he remains inactive.  Then he is really screwed. 

Still shocked  Doubs was the last guy I thought would pull something like this. 

I'll say this, Doubs isn't the threat Reed is. You need to account for Reed where he's on the field. Doubs is a solid possession receiver, but he's not as versatile or better with the ball in his hands than Reed. I'd say Reed is just as good at running routes or catching the ball as Doubs too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chili said:

People quickly changed their minds once they saw we built the offense around him

Edited by Gopackgonerd

2023 ( from pro football reference)

Doubs:  845 snaps, 96 targets, 59 receptions for 674 yards, 8 TD and 41 first downs with 6 drops

Reed: 578 snaps, 94 targets, 64 receptions for 793 yards, 8 TD and 32 first downs with 3 drops

Doubs played more snaps, so maybe he was the "#1" WR in snap usage.   But Reed clearly did as much or more with his snaps vs Doubs.  And other advanced metrics also show this.

• Like 1