Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Here's a thought: When Davante Adams returns, the trio of Rodgers, Jones, and Adams could be an all-time great QB/RB/WR trio, a la Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin--at least if all of them could avoid injury and stay on the field together for any length of time (a big IF, unfortunately). Another great trio was Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, and Isaac Bruce. 

42 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Here's a thought: When Davante Adams returns, the trio of Rodgers, Jones, and Adams could be an all-time great QB/RB/WR trio, a la Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin--at least if all of them could avoid injury and stay on the field together for any length of time (a big IF, unfortunately). Another great trio was Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, and Isaac Bruce. 

Davante has a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ways before he is Ike Bruce

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg C. said:

Good examples, except Bruce was the second best WR on that team.  He was the possession guy, Torry Holt was the man.  We have no one to fill the 'other' WR slot right now.  but we do have the triplet effect going.

39 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

He's already there. His numbers last year were Bruce-like, and he was on pace for a similar season before his injury this year. 

30 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Good examples, except Bruce was the second best WR on that team.  He was the possession guy, Torry Holt was the man.  We have no one to fill the 'other' WR slot right now.  but we do have the triplet effect going.

Bruce was way more than just a possession guy.  Both Bruce and Holt are HOF candidates, I don't think Adams will be close.  The only thing that Adams does a lot better is in the redzone.  Also stats don't always tell everything.  Bruce had amazing years without a HOF QB as the #1 WR before he played for the greatest show on turf.  Davante has played with a HOF QB his entire career.  This was also back when mugging was legal in the NFL, back when a 90 QB rating put you in the pro bowl easy.  Now if you have a 90 QB rating you're average.

We do have 3 real good players like triplets, but Adams has to do more for me to put him at Ike Bruce level.

Edited by waterfish_21
  • Like 1

Also for the comment on calling Ike Bruce a possession receiver,  from 1999-2003, when the greatest show on turf was on, or around then he averaged 15.1, 16.9, 17.3, 13.6,  and 14.2 yards per catch.  Ike Bruce was a freaking rocket ready to launch.  For comparison DA has averaged 11.7, 9.7, 13.3, 12.0, 12.5, and 15.1 in 4 games this year.  If Ike Bruce was a possession WR than what do we call DA?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Way back in my fantasy football days my greatest pick was Isaac Bruce with my final pick his rookie year.  This is back when you actually had to do work and your only resource was the newspaper box scores or a 3 month old magazine. Back when men were men.

Didn't start playing until 1998 or so.  I still remember having both Ed Mccaffrey and Rod Smith one of my teams at one point.  It was a lot easier than using magazines by that point.

2 hours ago, waterfish_21 said:

Davante has a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ways before he is Ike Bruce

I agree. As much as Davante has progressed, I'm not even sure he's better than peak Jordy or peak Jennings. He is the beneficiary of being funneled the ball in this incarnation of the offense, due to the lack of viable options. Just last year alone, Adams had compiled 169 targets. 

Edited by Howler

10 minutes ago, Howler said:

I agree. As much as Davante has progressed, I'm not even sure he's better than peak Jordy or peak Jennings. He is the beneficiary of being funneled the ball in this incarnation of the offense, due to the lack of viable options.

Eh.

I've seen a lot of "franchise" WR's in GB.  Sharpe.  Brooks (fringe). Freeman.  Walker.  Driver.  Jennings.  Nelson.  Now Adams.

Their games are all different.  But all were elite.  Eh.  Brooks was borderline due to that injury.