Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I have no expectations whatsoever for EQ.  Good or bad.  On this roster I can imagine him quickly moving into the WR2 spot opposite Adams, and I can just as easily imagine him being among the final cuts.  I would be equally unsurprised by either outcome. 

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting scenario......

Two years from now the GBPs decide to release AR.  Designating JL as the starter for 2022.

Figuring ARs not gonna retire, what team would you most NOT want him to go to?

:)

tumblr_msxp2mgemv1qafbqjo6_2501.gif

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting scenario......

Two years from now the GBPs decide to release AR.  Designating JL as the starter for 2022.

Figuring ARs not gonna retire, what team would you most NOT want him to go to?

:)

There is no release in Aaron’s future.  He’s getting traded or we are going down with that ship.  We’re not letting him go immediately to the Bears.  It’s the same thing we did with Favre.  I’m pretty sure we even put a no trade clause in the trade so the Jets couldn’t trade him right back to the Vikings.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

There is no release in Aaron’s future.  He’s getting traded or we are going down with that ship.  We’re not letting him go immediately to the Bears.  It’s the same thing we did with Favre.  I’m pretty sure we even put a no trade clause in the trade so the Jets couldn’t trade him right back to the Vikings.

Okay...since this all hypothetical, there can be no wrong answer.....

Lets say AR's game doesnt decline any further.....gets a bit better in fact (which is entirely possible IMO if he plays within the system).

So how much do feel another team will be would be willing to trade for him/his contract at that stage? According to Spotrac, ARs cap hit in 2022 would be 39.8M.

Is GB looking for a return (certainly....but how stringent would they be for one versus.....) or looking to control his destination more? 

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why do you believe that? 6th round pick , missing a whole year. Highly probable to be behind the top 4, with maybe only one spot left. Not Jake Kumerow ( that was a joke) . It wouldn’t knock me off my feet if he didn’t make it. 

Because he's that good IMO. I think really highly of him. He's a breakout candidate this year.

47 minutes ago, Leader said:

Lets say AR's game doesnt decline any further.....gets a bit better in fact (which is entirely possible IMO if he plays within the system).

So how much do feel another team will be would be willing to trade for him/his contract at that stage? According to Spotrac, ARs cap hit in 2022 would be 39.8M.

Is GB looking for a return (certainly....but how stringent would they be for one versus.....) or looking to control his destination more? 

We'd eat 17m of his hit via trade.

If he's playing at that level you try and get a 1st. If you can't, go the conditional route like we did with Favre. Rodgers plays well enough we get a future 1st, he doesn't, it's a 3-4 round pick.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think where he is dealt to would matter a bit more.  Naturally, they're not going to trade him within the division.  Probably not to any NFC teams if they can help it.  I think they'd be able to get a SRP and maybe a conditional pick a year later.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Leader said:

First round pick to a bad team.

Second round pick to a good team.

That is what I’m expecting at this point in his career.  A bad team with say lots of weapons who knows they’re not a QB away would be willing to part with that first for ticket sales and hype alone.  Just hypothetically a team like the Falcons if they didn’t have Ryan.  Brain farting on an example.

But a good franchise?  That’s run their team right?  That might be a QB away but knows the importance of draft capital?  Probably only a second.

I think a possible spot is Pittsburgh as a team that might trade a second.  A team like the Colts might trade a first.  

Ideally, Rodgers has a great year and we win the Super Bowl and he decides he wants out.  That way we’re spoiled with one Super Bowl win now, then we can get a first round pick and start the rebuild with some damn good pieces and a promising QB and only be 2/3 years away from our next one.

• Like 1

The minimum we are getting for Rodgers is a high second round pick in value I think.  That’s if we trade him after this coming season.

Favre got us a third round pick when he bounced out of retirement a decade ago when quarterbacks didn’t last as long as he did.

We actually probably want Brady and Brees to both do really well this year, too.  At least statistically.

We have to remember Clinton-Dix got a 4th round pick for us.  Randall got us Kizer.  A lot of times trades in the NFL are weird.  That’s why I’m setting low expectations.  For all I know we could get a 3rd round pick for him or two first round picks.

Thanks for the insights.

One things for certain, we're entering an interesting period.
I sincerely hope AR and the offense click much better this season - well wait, let me start that off with..... - I sincerely hope there is a 2020 season and that AR and the offense click much better in it.

Tell ya true - and the variables involved are too numerous to go there - but - IF - GB can pull off a successful and borderline painless transition to a third QB - in the height of the cap system - and that third QB can take the reins and deliver a modicum of success w/o the "requisite" crash and burn that so many organizations experience - we as fans should take a measure of pride in the team we support. 

Its far from a happening thing and its certainly far from a realized goal - but it it happens?

Kudos to the Packers for pulling it off.

Packers History -  Since the NFC Central became the NFC North in 2002 the Green Bay Packers have won the division 10 times.

In that same time period the Bears, Vikings and Lions have won a combined 8 division titles.

Chicago could win The North for the next 5 years and they’d still be behind GB.

////

Dominance that matters.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

The minimum we are getting for Rodgers is a high second round pick in value I think.  That’s if we trade him after this coming season.

Favre got us a third round pick when he bounced out of retirement a decade ago when quarterbacks didn’t last as long as he did.

We actually probably want Brady and Brees to both do really well this year, too.  At least statistically.

We're not trading him after this season. In 2021 we can pay Rodgers $35m to play here or $31m to play elsewhere. It would be idiotic to trade him. At minimum, he's here 2 more years, then you have to make a tough decision in 2022 assuming Love has shown he's capable of being the replacement.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

In 2021 we can pay Rodgers $35m to play here or $31m to play elsewhere. 

It's different then that... The $31M is only an accelerated cap hit for monies already paid- it's just accounting.

If the Packers trade him before the roster bonus is due in 2021, the Packers pay him nothing in 2021 and accelerate the amortized bonuses into 2021. Without factoring in a replacement value (player), the Packers would save in and around $22M in actual salary expenditures and save in and around $4.6M in cap space

Edited by Donzo
  • Like 2