Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Perhaps you didn't really read my post.  I was referring to Bucky, the dude who wrote the article that I was referencing, and a few other writers who've referred to Love as a "franchise QB".  

I THINK the idea is, when you take a QB R1, that's what your plan is, not that anyone thinks that's exactly what he is right now, I'm sure Bucky would say the same thing

18 minutes ago, Norm said:

I THINK the idea is, when you take a QB R1, that's what your plan is, not that anyone thinks that's exactly what he is right now, I'm sure Bucky would say the same thing

No doubt.  I agree.  It’s just one of those things that bugs me. Love has “potential”, and until otherwise proven, that’s it at this point.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

No doubt.  I agree.  It’s just one of those things that bugs me. Love has “potential”, and until otherwise proven, that’s it at this point.

I dunno, he is a franchise QB. Doesn't mean he will be a good one, but the franchise (front office) effectively staked their careers on him (with the understanding he could bust and our FO finds another solution at the position and survive, but they're all-in on him now).

That's how Ive always defined it internally. If a QB busts and his coaches and GM get fired, that's a significant effect on the franchise ha.

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I dunno, he is a franchise QB. Doesn't mean he will be a good one, but the franchise (front office) effectively staked their careers on him (with the understanding he could bust and our FO finds another solution at the position and survive, but they're all-in on him now).

That's how Ive always defined it internally. If a QB busts and his coaches and GM get fired, that's a significant effect on the franchise ha.

I’m not sure I agree (yet) but you make a damn good point.  It’ll be interesting to see if Pace and Nagy are canned over the Trubisky deal.  I suppose their fate may well rest on whether Foles can step in and bail them out.

Perhaps my reticence with calling Love a franchise QB “now” rests with my feelings about his potential - I watched quite a bit of footage from both 2018 and 2019 to know he has talent, but I’m honestly unable to see a strong correlation with him and Mahomes, or other Blue Chip QB’s I’ve seen.

It’s all good - it’s just my personal opinion.  I’ll get fully on board with the franchise deal if and when he passes the clipboard to someone else and succeeds Rodgers as our legit starter.

Edited by Sasquatch

Jaire Alexander had a game sealing interception with 16 seconds left.  Packers were ahead 28-23 and had to punt with 1:38 left.  Ravens marched downfield and got it to the 23 yard line.  This time my Madden season will come true.

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Perhaps you didn't really read my post.  I was referring to Bucky, the dude who wrote the article that I was referencing, and a few other writers who've referred to Love as a "franchise QB".  

I did read the post and Bucky's comments. He said he 'could be' not that he would be, so no-one is ordaining anything........which is my point.

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I did read the post and Bucky's comments. He said he 'could be' not that he would be, so no-one is ordaining anything........which is my point.

Huh, how was that the point of your post?  All you said was you hadn’t seen anyone on this forum call Love a “franchise QB”.  You never referenced Bucky’s post - I did.  And Incognito just called Love a Franchise QB a few comments up, so I guess we DO have folks here that believe that.  Which I’m cool with.

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Huh, how was that the point of your post?  All you said was you hadn’t seen anyone on this forum call Love a “franchise QB”.  You never referenced Bucky’s post - I did.  And Incognito just called Love a Franchise QB a few comments up, so I guess we DO have folks here that believe that.  Which I’m cool with.

I think it depends on the nebulous definition of Franchise QB. Some view it as a stud QB. Others view it as a guy that the franchise is tethered to for a significant number of years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think it depends on the nebulous definition of Franchise QB. Some view it as a stud QB. Others view it as a guy that the franchise is tethered to for a significant number of years. 

Wholeheartedly agree - it is nebulous - nobody is right or wrong to call a QB selected in the first round a franchise QB.  I just find it premature, and even a bit cringe-worthy, but I admit that’s just my take.  I’m more of the ilk that it’s a guy that’s proven in the NFL to earn the starting role for the GB Packers, right, wrong or indifferent.

guys i'd like to sign 

wr paul richardson
wr taylor gabriel
wr jarius wright
te luke stocker
t jared veldheer
t laadrian waddle
dl damion square
dl damon harrison
lb nigel bradham
lb clay matthews
lb wesley woodyard
cb logan ryan
cb tramon williams
cb prince amukamara
cb dre kirkpatrick
cb darqueze dennard
cb ross cockrell
cb javien elliott
s tavon wilson

9 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

It’ll be interesting to see if Pace and Nagy are canned over the Trubisky deal.

Why? Because they made a bad talent eval and drafted the wrong guy? Drafted this guy when they should have (or could have) drafted this other guy (?) - which just so happens to happen all the time...or alot. The Bears havent fared terribly. It's not like they turned the organization into bottom feeders. I think their fate should be decided by the bulk of the organizational / individual decisions/moves and results. Not a single talent (mis)judgement / decision - which happens all the time.

Trubisky's not a bum. He's just not developed into the player they thought he'd become - or was capable of becoming. He didnt turn into Patrick or Deshaun - but the draft is *loaded* with those player to player: "Why'd we draft this guy when this guy was still on the board?" possibilities. 

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Wholeheartedly agree - it is nebulous - nobody is right or wrong to call a QB selected in the first round a franchise QB.  I just find it premature, and even a bit cringe-worthy, but I admit that’s just my take.  I’m more of the ilk that it’s a guy that’s proven in the NFL to earn the starting role for the GB Packers, right, wrong or indifferent.

I'll say this about Gute drafting Love, even if he turns out to be a "decent" qb down the road, it was worth the choice.  Look at the teams struggling to find their qb around the league that drafted much much higher over the years.  A team to the south is a good example and a team to the west is paying $30 for one that who knows.  Down the road, if he learns and "proven" to earn the job ... what a pick.  If he doesn't, Rodgers will probably still be there flinging it around.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

Why? Because they made a bad talent eval and drafted the wrong guy? Drafted this guy when they should have (or could have) drafted this other guy (?) - which just so happens to happen all the time...or alot. The Bears havent fared terribly. It's not like they turned the organization into bottom feeders. I think their fate should be decided by the bulk of the organizational / individual decisions/moves and results. Not a single talent (mis)judgement / decision - which happens all the time.

Trubisky's not a bum. He's just not developed into the player they thought he'd become - or was capable of becoming. He didnt turn into Patrick or Deshaun - but the draft is *loaded* with those player to player: "Why'd we draft this guy when this guy was still on the board?" possibilities. 

Absolutely.  This was a huge mistake on their part drafting somebody so high (moving up besides) for an unproven qb commodity.  Then they traded for Mack betting on the come that Trubisky was their qb of the future.  One can argue that trade too but the draft choices lost and monies spent elsewhere hasn't produced much of anything for them.  One guy maybe doesn't get anybody fired but it sure puts them on notice if other personnel problems arise. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Absolutely.  This was a huge mistake on their part drafting somebody so high (moving up besides) for an unproven qb commodity.  Then they traded for Mack betting on the come that Trubisky was their qb of the future.  One can argue that trade too but the draft choices lost and monies spent elsewhere hasn't produced much of anything for them.  One guy maybe doesn't get anybody fired but it sure puts them on notice if other personnel problems arise. 

I've not made it a practice to study the CHI roster moves, but as said previously - they've not become bottom feeders. The Trubisky decision hasnt panned out the way they envisioned - but the roster has some talent on it and the W+L's havent been atrocious. Was the roster constructed with good financial (or value) considerations? A subjective matter for others to haggle over - but I'd posit that if Trubisky was just a notch better.....or consistent than he's shown he's capable of too date...it would put the Mack trade (and its outlay of draft talent/expense) in an entirely different light.

In other words the primary thing holding CHI back has been Trubisky IMO - so does that one decision and the failure of it to live up to hopes and dreams equate into a firing offense? I dont think so myself. 

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

Eh

• Like 1