Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell -   Was it possible Matt LaFleur had even more offensive personnel groups to deploy?! Without Davante, Allen Lazard, Marcedes Lewis, he got creative! A new 3 RB Pony grouping & some 6 OL packages with Wagner.

I told all y'all after the draft that there would be 6 OL run-packages and you all said I was full of it! 

How are you now???

Edited by Joe

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Ok, but Lewis probably won't be back next year because he's old so....

Lewis, the last tight end on earth confirmed

Did people really argue with you about that though? I wouldn't have. Seemed pretty reasonable.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Ok, but Lewis probably won't be back next year because he's old so....

That might be why we recently took at look at Jerell Adams. I posted their sizes yesterday - and while Adams isnt quite as big as Lewis (few are....) he's awfully close. I've no clue how they match up "talent-wise."

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

The argument had to be about frequency id imagine... Running 6 OL in this scheme isnt a wild theory.

I didn't think it was either until three people chastised me for the suggestion and I foolishly argued with one. Of course, we'd have to dig back 7 months and a few threads to find it, but it happened. I won't mention names but I remember a couple people that I believe had argued it against me; of course, I challenged the individual who lightly rebuked me in this thread...

3 hours ago, Norm said:

Lewis, the last tight end on earth confirmed

Did people really argue with you about that though? I wouldn't have. Seemed pretty reasonable.

I thought it was too until apparently it wasn't...

3 hours ago, Leader said:

That might be why we recently took at look at Jerell Adams. I posted their sizes yesterday - and while Adams isnt quite as big as Lewis (few are....) he's awfully close. I've no clue how they match up "talent-wise."

I caught that and thank you. Personally, I think Adams is much more athletic than someone with his measureables would normally be. He was essentially a blocking TE that could be easily used as a move TE and had the speed to carry over.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

I didn't think it was either until three people chastised me for the suggestion and I foolishly argued with one. Of course, we'd have to dig back 7 months and a few threads to find it, but it happened. I won't mention names but I remember a couple people that I believe had argued it against me; of course, I challenged the individual who lightly rebuked me in this thread...

I thought it was too until apparently it wasn't...

I caught that and thank you. Personally, I think Adams is much more athletic than someone with his measureables would normally be. He was essentially a blocking TE that could be easily used as a move TE and had the speed to carry over.

Were you team Adams? I wanted to take him 2nd round then he kept falling and I was convinced but someone that he was a moron or something. Then again I thought ebron was one of the best TE prospects I ever saw. **** I was huge huge on the bears patterson. I'm not a sucker for the timed **** but guys that can just freak out on the field, even if it's super inconsistent...

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Were you team Adams? I wanted to take him 2nd round then he kept falling and I was convinced but someone that he was a moron or something. Then again I thought ebron was one of the best TE prospects I ever saw. **** I was huge huge on the bears patterson. I'm not a sucker for the timed **** but guys that can just freak out on the field, even if it's super inconsistent...

I was team Adams in regards of drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd so he could be that quiet pick that breaks out. At that point, it was pretty clear that MM and TT could not have cared less about the TE position...

Bill Huber -  How out-of-this world great has the Green Bay Packers offense been through the first quarter of this season?

Dating to 1940, according to Stathead.com:

- Their 152 points through four games is tied for the 11th-most overall and fourth-most since the turn of the century.

- They are one of only four teams to have zero giveaways.

- Combining those two notes, Green Bay is the only team with 100-plus points and no turnovers in the first four games of a season over the last 80 years. And Green Bay blew past that 100-point barrier 3 minutes into the third quarter of the third game of the season at New Orleans.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 6:02 PM, Joe said:

I didn't think it was either until three people chastised me for the suggestion and I foolishly argued with one. ...

Joe, I'm not sure if I posted, but I admit at least in my head I thought going with 6 linemen was doubtful, I thought it was probably unwise, and thought it unlikely MLF would use it.  I may have posted and reasoned; or maybe I just thought it in my head.

So you were right and I was wrong.   

Walker played 7 snaps.  Did those Walker-at-TE plays end up working well?  I think everything was working pretty well, and the fact MLF used it 7 times probably means it seemed to be working decently, so I assume they did fine.  Was that what they used on getting stuffed at the goal-line?  

I do still wonder at the wisdom of extra lineman, but obviously I'm just a dumb fan, and MLF is much smarter than me and chose to use it.  But yeah, I've questioned its effectiveness for two reasons.  1.  It reduces the number of weapons or targets that the defense needs to defend.  2. It further clutters the box, and invites more defenders into the box.  So it's maybe harder to find a crease without a defender filling in, or to bounce around the corner.   My thinking was also that few NFL coaches use the 6 lineman front very often, so I tend to trust they've considered the pros-and-cons; so I had assumed MLF would probably come to the same conclusion, that it's not worthwhile.  That last logic proved untrue, given that MLF actually did decide the pros-and-cons were favorable for using Wagner 7 different snaps.  

19 minutes ago, craig said:

Joe, I'm not sure if I posted, but I admit at least in my head I thought going with 6 linemen was doubtful, I thought it was probably unwise, and thought it unlikely MLF would use it.  I may have posted and reasoned; or maybe I just thought it in my head.

So you were right and I was wrong.   

Walker played 7 snaps.  Did those Walker-at-TE plays end up working well?  I think everything was working pretty well, and the fact MLF used it 7 times probably means it seemed to be working decently, so I assume they did fine.  Was that what they used on getting stuffed at the goal-line?  

I do still wonder at the wisdom of extra lineman, but obviously I'm just a dumb fan, and MLF is much smarter than me and chose to use it.  But yeah, I've questioned its effectiveness for two reasons.  1.  It reduces the number of weapons or targets that the defense needs to defend.  2. It further clutters the box, and invites more defenders into the box.  So it's maybe harder to find a crease without a defender filling in, or to bounce around the corner.   My thinking was also that few NFL coaches use the 6 lineman front very often, so I tend to trust they've considered the pros-and-cons; so I had assumed MLF would probably come to the same conclusion, that it's not worthwhile.  That last logic proved untrue, given that MLF actually did decide the pros-and-cons were favorable for using Wagner 7 different snaps.  

I don't have any analytics, but I'm almost positive that 6 man lines has been far more successful than you'd think the last few years, and not just in the power run game. Pretty sure it's been quite explosive in the PA game too.

11 hours ago, Norm said:

I don't have any analytics, but I'm almost positive that 6 man lines has been far more successful than you'd think the last few years, and not just in the power run game. Pretty sure it's been quite explosive in the PA game too.

Thanks.