Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Andy Herman -   Hypothetically if the Packers move on from Preston Smith, Adrian Amos, either Turner OR Wagner, Funchess, Kirksey, and Lowry, plus restructure Adams - how many of Jones/Williams/Linsley/Bakhtiari/King could they get back?

Just now, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   Hypothetically if the Packers move on from Preston Smith, Adrian Amos, either Turner OR Wagner, Funchess, Kirksey, and Lowry, plus restructure Adams - how many of Jones/Williams/Linsley/Bakhtiari/King could they get back?

Why in God's name would we move on from Amos or Preston Smith? 

• Like 2

Don't want to sign both Jones & Williams. It's not a great idea to pay one RB much less two.

Love Linsley, but you don't give him a 3rd contract. With Patrick & the 6th round of the 2020 draft, the Packers are setup to move on from him... Thanks for the memories!

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Preston wouldn't bother me. When you draft a guy like Gary top 15 he should be starting by year 3. Amos I totally agree. The dude has done nothing but solidify the safety position for us. 

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Conservative Packer fans have said they're done with the NFL due to "politics in sports" so maybe the list will lurch forward next season. 

I don’t care if I agree with their politics or not, I just don’t follow beat writers To hear their personal political opinions. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Oh, it's not the beat writers, it's stuff like Z wearing the Breonna Taylor shirt on Monday. 

Careful we are getting awfully close to politics and the thread will get locked. Best leave that stuff totally out of the discussion. 

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Preston Smith's cap hit is getting up there, especially when it jumps to $16M next year.  If you think Rashan Gary can replace that production for a fraction of that price, the Packers clear $8M in cap space.  I'd probably look to extend/restructure him first, but it's not off the table.  Don't see them moving on from Amos either.

10 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

what yall think we do with tim boyle in the offseason? never got to substantiate his camp flashes with actual playing time (at least yet). RFA... if they throw the original round tender and someone snags him, that's only a 7th for us, no? 

I believe it's a Right of First Refusal if it was a former UDFA.

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Cutting Preston next year would save 8m next year (8 dead...in 2022 it is 12 savings 4 dead)... Preston hasn’t been that productive yet this year (last year he had some numbers but was clearly behind Z). He’d be our edge 3 as far as rush grades go. I get cutting Preston this offseason if it meant keeping King.

Cutting Amos would save about 5m next year or 8m in 2022. He’s solid not special. He’s not a 9-10m safety. For 2021 the savings isn’t worth it. 2022 though I think he gets released.

My guess is they are both on the team next year.  2022 though they’ll either have to restructure or get cut.