Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Matt Schneidman -   Matt LaFleur cranked up the heat inside the Hutson Center today (I can confirm it was hot as hell) to simulate what it might be like in Tampa on Sunday.

Tampa forecast the 4:30 kickoff on 10/18?
83 degrees - partly sunny (which means, it'll be more sun than not) with 45% humidity. Today in Green Bay? 56 degrees. 
The Bucs used to mandate GB wear their green uni's (and Chicago wear black) to maximize the "cook em" factor. Be surprised if they dont again.

Wow, fun.  

Olivia also mentions that Gary and Lewis, as well as Adams and Clark, are all practicing.  

Said King isn't, nor Ervin.  Ervin played 23 snaps versus Atlanta; I don't recall reading that he'd gotten hurt.  Anybody remember hearing or seeing anything? 

Redmond got hurt in that game, and I'd thought I'd read that Barnes had something with his shoulder.  I wonder if Reiner not mentioning either of them means they were both practicing?  Or if she just wasn't really focused on whether they were or weren't and might not have noticed even if they weren't?  

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

Martin being back......in terms of getting into games back.....seems early to me. I thought he was going to be out longer than this.

They have to practice before they can play. With a conservative Packer medical staff (except in the case of Martellus Bennett), I'd say "back in practice" is a promising first step.

From the article:

"Both players now have a 21-day window to be activated from injured reserve to the 53-man roster. They are free to practice, and either player can be activated at any point during the three weeks."

Edited by JQ1

Great news on Martin and EQ. Was hoping both would be back, and hopefully both can play Sunday, especially EQ with Lazard out. 

Don't like seeing King not practicing with the quad. Hopefully he's very close because Brady will pick on Jackson all day long if he's in there. Jaire can take care of Evans, but we don't know at this point if Godwin will be back or not. 

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Martin being back......in terms of getting into games back.....seems early to me. I thought he was going to be out longer than this.

He was set to miss six weeks, looks like he had the surgery first week of September, so it's 6 weeks more or less today.  I thought he'd be out longer too, but forgot how early on he got injured.  He may or may not play this week as @JQ1 points out, but in terms of being back at practice he's right on schedule.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do with him when he's ready to go in.  ILB group has shown out better than expected, but with Kirksey still out you know the team would like a guy in the middle they could leave in and not playing signal caller switchy switchy series to series like they did against the Falcons.  Are they confident in Martin being able to call the defense though?

Meanwhile EQ's in the reverse situation, he's going right in to Lazard's role most likely.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Gonna be interesting to see what they do with him when he's ready to go in.

I imagine they'd work him up to game speed / condition via special teams. When and if he actually takes down snaps on D......anybody's guess.
Its not like he was getting rave reviews during a normal training camp/preseason - and going from that to real game action......

My expectations will be muted early on.

Any word on whom we might be working out?

Because if you count TE Deguara's spot, the Packers have 3 open spots with 2 guys coming off IR soon.

So I figure they'd be working some guys out... even if PS guys... as they might bring someone up from PS. My current guess would be DL Winn, as he's used up his two free passes back to PS... and could be claimed if they attempted to bring him up from the PS again for a single game... of course, there was little interested in him before, so they might be able to keep doing it with no claims.

Also if King is injuried, then they might bring up Stanford Samuels (if not call Tramon).

36 minutes ago, Beast said:

Any word on whom we might be working out?

Because if you count TE Deguara's spot, the Packers have 3 open spots with 2 guys coming off IR soon.

So I figure they'd be working some guys out... even if PS guys... as they might bring someone up from PS. My current guess would be DL Winn, as he's used up his two free passes back to PS... and could be claimed if they attempted to bring him up from the PS again for a single game... of course, there was little interested in him before, so they might be able to keep doing it with no claims.

Also if King is injuried, then they might bring up Stanford Samuels (if not call Tramon).

Martin and EQ should be activated soon enough leaving with just one roster spot left to fill.

We signed TE/HB Dominique Dafney to the practice squad to leave us with one open PS spot remaining. I'm not sure why we haven't brought Curtis Bolton back to the practice squad, he was impressive in preseason last year and was very close to making the roster when injury struck. We kept him all this time only to give up when he's so nearly recovered.

Edited by Chili