Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Leader said:

Glad I dont live in your world of constant disappointment.

It's not about disappointment. It's just a fact about competitive sports. You either win or you don't. When you don't you're the same as every other team who didn't win. The NFL doesn't give out participation trophies. Sorry if people can't handle that. If you're a casual fan who can move on 2 minutes after the team loses at home in the NFCCG and say "great season guys" then that's fine. We're just fans. I just hope the people running the organization don't feel that way. 

Also doesn't mean that seasons can't be "fun." The 2019 season was a lot fun as a fan. 2020 was even better. They were very good seasons, ones I'll enjoy revisiting and watching highlights. But they both ended in failure when the expectation was the Super Bowl, plain and simple. 

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's not about disappointment. It's just a fact about competitive sports. You either win or you don't. When you don't you're the same as every other team who didn't win. The NFL doesn't give out participation trophies. Sorry if people can't handle that. If you're a casual fan who can move on 2 minutes after the team loses at home in the NFCCG and say "great season guys" then that's fine. We're just fans. I just hope the people running the organization don't feel that way. 

Also doesn't mean that seasons can't be "fun." The 2019 season was a lot fun as a fan. 2020 was even better. They were very good seasons, ones I'll enjoy revisiting and watching highlights. But they both ended in failure when the expectation was the Super Bowl, plain and simple. 

Agree to disagree.

When we dont win the SB - that doesnt make us the same as every other team. Not in my book - but listen - I've heard this mantra for decades. First (and most publicly) put forward by George Steinbrenner regards the NYY. If they didnt win the WS - the season was a failure. It's simply not true. Many a good NYY team had many a good season - remarkably better than a lot of the other teams - but fell short of a ring.

That makes the season a failure? Nope. Not in my book.

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's the Brady mentality. When Brady doesn't win the SB, that season is a failure to him, and the Packers' standard with Rodgers should be no different. 

I’m sure that’s how the Packers *organization* feels. It helps them motivate themselves. The question is, should that be how Packers *fans* feel, since fans aren’t the ones in the arena doing anything to accomplish that goal. They are mere observers, sitting on the couch taking vicarious credit for the team’s accomplishments.

By all means, people can think what they want, but I would think that mentality is counterproductive to enjoyment. Many fans might eventually find themselves in an 80’s-like dry spell and regretting they didn’t savor the successes more while they were happening. 

Edited by TransientTexan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

I’m sure that’s how the Packers *organization* feels. It helps them motivate themselves. The question is, should that be how Packers *fans* feel, since fans aren’t the ones in the arena doing anything to accomplish that goal. They are mere observers, sitting on the couch taking vicarious credit for the team’s accomplishments.

By all means, people can think what they want, but I would think that mentality is counterproductive to enjoyment. Many fans might eventually find themselves in an 80’s-like dry spell and regretting they didn’t savor the successes more while they were happening. 

Every fan can feel how he/she wants. I probably take it too seriously tbh, but I'll never change. I expect greatness from this team with 12 at QB and I expect the front office to do whatever is necessary in order to achieve that greatness. To me, "greatness" requires more than 1 SB appearance. Doesn't mean I enjoy the seasons any less. I just reset and get ready all over again for every year. My expectation this year is no different....Super Bowl for the 2021 Packers. 

Zach Kruse -  Packers trying to keep this roster together, so who could be next?

Unsigned players with most snaps in 2020:

Offense: Tyler Ervin, 142 snaps
Defense: Will Redmond, 340 snaps
Special teams: Redmond, 238 snaps
Street free agent: Rick Wagner, 610 snaps

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -  Packers trying to keep this roster together, so who could be next?

Unsigned players with most snaps in 2020:

Offense: Tyler Ervin, 142 snaps
Defense: Will Redmond, 340 snaps
Special teams: Redmond, 238 snaps
Street free agent: Rick Wagner, 610 snaps

why is Rick Wagner listed as Street Free Agent and not Offense?

23 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Counterpoint....Had Gute been more careful, maybe we have Davenport at EDGE as opposed to Jaire at corner.

Yeah but we actually moved down then .. well down and up.

I'm not entirely against moving up when there is a player you really want. But seems like he is actively looking to move up using the 4th rounders every year and I think its really hurting our depth in terms of decent contributors on cheap rookie deals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

I'm not entirely against moving up when there is a player you really want. But seems like he is actively looking to move up using the 4th rounders every year and I think its really hurting our depth in terms of decent contributors on cheap rookie deals.

If the cost to move up to secure "your guy" is a 4'th round pick, you do it.  4'th rounders are nice, no doubt, but just a little better than a scratch off lottery ticket.  Especially when you get a few of them back as comp picks.

8 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Could be whats hurting our depth more is higher picks that aren't producing like you'd hope.
Jackson / CB - 2nd round
Jace / TE - 3rd round

These guys should be plugged in and giving us something by now - but its not happened yet and in Jackson's case, it may be too late. Hopefully the new DC can figure some way he can contribute.

5 hours ago, deathstar said:

If that’s how you choose to fan, ok.

I may be in the minority but if all we do is win 14 games a year that’s awesome.

When I was a kid growing up in the UK watching UK football (what you call soccer), I got incredibly invested in sports results and would be down if my team lost, as I got older I view all sports differently both the NFL and 'soccer' - I'm far more into the NFL now although can't call it football.

We don't play the games - they aren't our achievements. If Rodgers doesn't win a 2nd super bowl that's his failings. Ultimately it shouldn't and doesn't (after the initial disappointment bother me). I would rather my badminton was promoted than Packers win the super bowl or my soccer team wins the league because that's something I've done.

The best way to take sport when watching is play up to the wins and make the most of them and shrug off the losses because they don't matter. I watch sport to enjoy it. Enjoy watching, analysis, discussing the moves. On Sundays those 3 hours are dedicated to the NFL and I will be down if we lose. People think its the end of the world if we lose but its not. 

So yeah I'm with you - I'm with you, sure I want us to win it all but 14 win seasons are great.  It sucks (relatively speaking) watching a bad team that has nothing to play for in December.

Its a long off-season so I've never understood why people want us to start tanking if 5-7 instead of going for the wildcard spot. Sure if we are 5-7 the we probably don't have to win it all even if we get that last spot but you have to wait another 9 months for a meaningful match so make the most of it whilst the season is still live.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Could be whats hurting our depth more is higher picks that aren't producing like you'd hope.
Jackson / CB - 2nd round
Jace / TE - 3rd round

These guys should be plugged in and giving us something by now - but its not happened yet and in Jackson's case, it may be too late. Hopefully the new DC can figure some way he can contribute.

Ultimately you need a number of your draft picks to hit in order to really help with beating the cap and maintaining depth.  Obviously early guys missing is going to make that harder as does giving away your mid round picks.

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If the cost to move up to secure "your guy" is a 4'th round pick, you do it.  4'th rounders are nice, no doubt, but just a little better than a scratch off lottery ticket.  Especially when you get a few of them back as comp picks.

Yes - if it is your guy and its a must get him now, he shouldn't be around at this pick.

When you do it every year though, it gives impression he is actively looking to trade up and not valuing the mid round picks at all.

22 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Ultimately you need a number of your draft picks to hit in order to really help with beating the cap and maintaining depth.  Obviously early guys missing is going to make that harder as does giving away your mid round picks.

Trade up for selected or targeted talent - I dont have a problem with per se - figuring the FO has a handle on the talent, their fit to a proposed (or in place scheme.....) etc.

Missing on 2nd rounders.....that I dont like. Names that come to mind:  Jackson / CB ; Josh Jones (S/Hybrid LB) etc.