Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, craig said:

Thanks, fanfb.  Some Packer-related media doc claimed the team can convert base-to-bonus unilaterally.  An accounting practice, with zero impact on the player payments or timing thereof; so that the team doesn't need the player to sign off on that.  

This seems perhaps inconsistent with that claim?  Either the claim is wrong, and the Packers could NOT convert base-to-bonus without Rodgers approval.  Or else, I suppose, perhaps the claim is true and the Packers could have done so, but chose not to for relationship reasons?  Didn't want to do so without Aaron's OK?  

It's typically built in to auto- restructure a roster bonus. Auto-restructuring a base salary may be a different story.

Or as Wood noted, could be a voidable years issue as well, which would require approval.

Edited by packfanfb

44 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Could just be speculation or blabber, but this whole drama is upsetting and it appears to be affecting the upcoming season. Gute, the FO and Rodgers are all to blame. 

Except you don't need Rodgers permission to re-work his contract. Andrew Brandt confirmed there is language in there that allows teams to do it automatically if they please.

Arden Key released by the Raiders. I had such a crush on this dude. He was dominant for LSU in 2016. His draft stock fell for off the field stuff and a poor combine. I was majorly bummed when the Raiders selected him just the pick before Green Bay. We ended up with Burks. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Could just be speculation or blabber, but this whole drama is upsetting and it appears to be affecting the upcoming season. Gute, the FO and Rodgers are all to blame. 

I mean, you can't blame the FO for not wanting to extend a guy who has 3 years left in his contract.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Except you don't need Rodgers permission to re-work his contract. Andrew Brandt confirmed there is language in there that allows teams to do it automatically if they please.

I probably shouldn't comment because I am assuming something here. The Packers can freely roll base salary to signing bonus and spread it over the remaining years of the contract, but cannot add voidable years to lower the hit next year without Rodgers signing off on it and that is where I would guess the hang up is at.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Arden Key released by the Raiders. I had such a crush on this dude. He was dominant for LSU in 2016. His draft stock fell for off the field stuff and a poor combine. I was majorly bummed when the Raiders selected him just the pick before Green Bay. We ended up with Burks. 

What is eye opening is to go back and look at all the players drafted after Burks. The best player drafted after Burks may well be Valdes-Scantling, 90% of those players will be out of the NFL after their 1st contract, if they are not already. 

14 minutes ago, R T said:

I probably shouldn't comment because I am assuming something here. The Packers can freely roll base salary to signing bonus and spread it over the remaining years of the contract, but cannot add voidable years to lower the hit next year without Rodgers signing off on it and that is where I would guess the hang up is at.    

Well yeah, if I'm the MVP and they come to me and say, hey we want to re-do your contract so we save some cap space, but it's still easy to cut you and move on, I'd say hell no.

I'm sure Rodgers wants assurances and the Packers want their cake and to eat it too, save money this year, but keep our options open for next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I hope that's just speculation, but if it's true, it's kind of a self-own by management. They recognized the need/desirability of adding a big name free agent but because Rodgers wouldn't do their preferred restructure they then ignored two other sources of cap space (Adams, Z Smith) which would've enabled the FA signing? 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well yeah, if I'm the MVP and they come to me and say, hey we want to re-do your contract so we save some cap space, but it's still easy to cut you and move on, I'd say hell no.

I'm sure Rodgers wants assurances and the Packers want their cake and to eat it too, save money this year, but keep our options open for next year.

Exactly, but I understand why both side are where they are at and it is a probably a dead issue for the front office and Rodgers reps. Being a slow period in the NFL season the media will keep playing this card as long as they can get a rise out of Packer fans though.