Mock Draft/Off-season Thread

OhioG

18 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

Everyone talks about Wentz, Carr, Stafford, Ryan, etc. Kirk Cousins played just as well as they did the past 3 years, yet he's just average? If you think Derek Carr or Matthew Stafford can realistically win the Super Bowl, how can you NOT think Kirk Cousins can? That's what's so baffling to me. Statistically Kirk Cousins is a top 10 QB.

I don't get it either. People just really hate the guy-- seems like how Jay Cutler will always have a bad attitude, the Bengals are a bunch of thugs but the Steelers are all class etc. 

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

i think if cousins has a very good team he can take you deep in to the playoffs

Maybe.

I mean, Trent Dilfer took the Ravens to the top, so you could say that about a lot of QBs.

I am just not feeling Cousins.

19 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Maybe.

I mean, Trent Dilfer took the Ravens to the top, so you could say that about a lot of QBs.

That's ridiculous. To equate Cousins to Trent Dilfer is utter nonsense. Let me ask you this: was New Orleans' decision to sign Drew Brees back in 2006 instead of draft a top QB prospect at #2 a bad idea? Here's the thing: I really do like Sam Darnold as a prospect, but he has similar issues that Kizer had coming out with turnovers. He could be great but it's no guarantee. Kirk Cousins is already great (like I said, a top 10 QB) and would fit into the offense extremely well. And with all of the draft capital and cap space we'd still have afterward, we could become REALLY good REALLY quick. You might have a differing opinion and that's OK but that's how I see it.

8 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

To equate Cousins to Trent Dilfer is utter nonsense.

I didn't.

I identified the low end of the spectrum.

9 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

Let me ask you this: was New Orleans' decision to sign Drew Brees back in 2006 instead of draft a top QB prospect at #2 a bad idea?

To equate Cousins to Brees is utter nonsense.;)

12 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

You might have a differing opinion and that's OK but that's how I see it.

Obviously, I do.

No worries.

10 minutes ago, MarkPrice25 said:

And with all of the draft capital and cap space we'd still have afterward, we could become REALLY good REALLY quick.

Perhaps, on a short-lived basis, having passed on the chance to grab our QBOTF.

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Statistics do not win games.

One of the worst defensive teams in the NFL. Virtually no offensive playmakers once Thompson and Reed were done. Can't run the football.

In losses, Cousins completed 63% of his passes and had 17 total td's to 10 interceptions. For understanding, here is the points given up by Washington in some of those losses...

They had one loss where they gave up fewer than 29 points. That's crazy. And it's crazy to debate why Cousins was only able to go 7-9 when his team couldn't play defense, and when his offensive weapons consisted of Josh Doctson, Jamison Crowder, Ryant Grant and Samaje Perine.

zax87.gif

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

One of the worst defensive teams in the NFL. Virtually no offensive playmakers once Thompson and Reed were done. Can't run the football.

In losses, Cousins completed 63% of his passes and had 17 total td's to 10 interceptions. For understanding, here is the points given up by Washington in some of those losses...

They had one loss where they gave up fewer than 29 points. That's crazy. And it's crazy to debate why Cousins was only able to go 7-9 when his team couldn't play defense, and when his offensive weapons consisted of Josh Doctson, Jamison Crowder, Ryant Grant and Samaje Perine.

zax87.gif

That's all nice to know.

Sounds like he is so good that he would make a rotten bridge to our QBOTF.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

That's all nice to know.

Sounds like he is so good that he would make a rotten bridge to our QBOTF.

You have a flawed image of him but just aren't willing to accept it b/c you don't like the guy. It's like politics. Someone really wants to agree on a topic, but they can't because they come from the other party. 

Just now, H2ThaIzzo said:

You have a flawed image of him but just aren't willing to accept it b/c you don't like the guy. It's like politics. Someone really wants to agree on a topic, but they can't because they come from the other party. 

You might be right about me and my impression of him.

But I add in his cap hit, how he either is a barrier to our getting our QBOTF in the draft if the FO thinks he is the answer at QB or creating a logjam to getting our QBOTF on the field if we still draft him and it just doesn't make sense.

IMHO, he is an awful fit as a bridge and not the answer to getting our QBOTF.

Clutters things up too much for my liking.

Smith is a perfect bridge fit, on the other hand. 

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

You might be right about me and my impression of him.

But I add in his cap hit, how he either is a barrier to our getting our QBOTF in the draft if the FO thinks he is the answer at QB or creating a logjam to getting our QBOTF on the field if we still draft him and it just doesn't make sense.

IMHO, he is an awful fit as a bridge and not the answer to getting our QBOTF.

Clutters things up too much for my liking.

Smith is a perfect bridge fit, on the other hand. 

1. We have 100+ mil to spend. What cap hit are you talking about? If we are smart, which I think the current guys are pretty smart running the team now, then we front load the deal so that come the later years the salary hit isn't as high. 

2. He is going to be 30 years old. We just saw a guy who is 40 go to another Super Bowl and a large group of the leagues best QB's are in their 30's and performing well, so the mindset that he would be a barrier to us getting our QBOTF is a myth because there is more of a chance of him being our QBOTF than the player we may draft at this point.

3. You've given zero factual information to back your opinion on why he is an awful fit, etc. You don't like him, and you blame him for every Washington loss, that part I get. However it doesn't make sense. 

4. Not even sure how to address.

5. So your better idea instead of getting a guy via free agency is to give up 1, or probably 2 high draft picks for a bridge QB, and to also spend our #1 pick on a QBOTF, rather than just using the cap space to sign a top 8 QB? 

16 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

1. We have 100+ mil to spend. What cap hit are you talking about? If we are smart, which I think the current guys are pretty smart running the team now, then we front load the deal so that come the later years the salary hit isn't as high. Our cap is going to be needed to sign guys we want to keep longer term. There are more a few in that category now, and most likely will be more than a few more after we are done with this off-season.

Not to mention that it isn't possible to front-load his contract to mitigate the cap impact.

2. He is going to be 30 years old. We just saw a guy who is 40 go to another Super Bowl and a large group of the leagues best QB's are in their 30's and performing well, so the mindset that he would be a barrier to us getting our QBOTF is a myth because there is more of a chance of him being our QBOTF than the player we may draft at this point.

This is non sequitur. The fact that others have played longer is no proof that he will.

3. You've given zero factual information to back your opinion on why he is an awful fit, etc. You don't like him, and you blame him for every Washington loss, that part I get. However it doesn't make sense. 

What he would cost is about as close to a fact as one can get. Let's say at a minimum it's the franchise tag ($28 or so /year) on a 5-7 year deal. That in and of itself is a deal-buster.

4. Not even sure how to address.

5. So your better idea instead of getting a guy via free agency is to give up 1, or probably 2 high draft picks for a bridge QB, and to also spend our #1 pick on a QBOTF, rather than just using the cap space to sign a top 8 QB? 

I do not believe that we will have to give up at most our R-3 to get Smith. If KC's price is higher, then we move along to FAs (e.g., Keenum, Taylor).

You believe that he is top 8 QB. I do not. I think he is more our Andy Dalton.

No thanks.

I think it is @Bonanza23who regularly accuses me of not liking any QBs in the draft.

This year I do.

I want Darnold.

And I do not want any impediments to supporting him as best as we can.

I want our Big Ben, not Cousins, we are in the position to roll the dice to get him and I say let's roll them.

Whoa!

Comments laced into your post.

ok  guys need some new thoughts

Free agents

Fuller cornerback shut down josh enough said

Nate soldier we get a 30 year old tackle that can start for the next 5 years

draft

1 darnold enough has been written on this

1b barkley a 2000 yard back for my rookie qb

2 Price c ohio state best center in the draft

2b oliver cb colorado more db depth

2c armani watts s  i like alabama db

3 Andrews tight end  another red zone threat

4 Hernandez mean lineman some of the drafts have him dropping here

4 D j chark wr with legit 6:1 height and 4.4 speed has made some spectacular over the shoulder catches.

5 tim settle huge dl figures to be a huge run stopping threat at the next level.

6 shay fileds plays opposite oliver in practice figures to be return man up here

Archived