Mock Draft/Off-season Thread

OhioG

5 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I disagree with statement here and I would throw my hat in the ring for most SEC games watched every year. To keep is defenses complicated, Saban didnt have his safeties change sides that much.....they may change responsibilities based on the offense/shift/etc....Minka played mostly the role of the centerfielder type safty with Ronnie Harrison player more of the SS/in the box role. You saw Minka being blitzed and things like, because he is just that versatile..much like the Honeybadger when he was at LSU...he reminds me of him with a step more speed and about 1 1/2 level lower on instincts (which is still VERY GOOD....its just that the H.Badger had instincts to rival Sean Taylor/Ed Reed (best instincts I ever saw with a safety)I

If anyone gets board...go look at the Miami 2001 team.....might be the most talented I've seen in college...that defense had Phillip Buchanan, William Joseph, Jerome McDougle, Antrelle Rolle, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Vince Wilfork, D.J. Williams and Jonathan Villma on defense.....that's an NFL defense....Lord Have Mercy....

That's what I was trying to get at. From watching his highlights he is just everywhere from inside CB, to FS deep to blitzing off the edge, to playing man coverage against bother WRs and TEs.

It's really hard to pin him down of what he actually is but the first person I thought about was Honey Badger BUT with bigger size and with the added versatility to play man coverage.

He's essentially a roaming FS playmaker who can play man coverage. That's unbelievable.

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

If we don’t draft a QB at 1 I’ll lose it. Even if we sign Cousins and Teddy and Smith. We need to take the best QB prospect and let him sit for a year or two. Draft Barkley or Chubb at 4 and call it a day. 

If the Browns offer Kirk Cousins 100+ million dollars that they will not be taking a QB #1. Same could probably be said if you give up a 2nd + 4th round pick for Smith so be prepared to lose it lol

8 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

If we don’t draft a QB at 1 I’ll lose it. Even if we sign Cousins and Teddy and Smith. We need to take the best QB prospect and let him sit for a year or two. Draft Barkley or Chubb at 4 and call it a day. 

With you on Smith.  Teddy is an enigma that doctors would weigh in on.  But if we sign Cousins, it stands to reason that he's signing a 5ish year contract, right?  He's 29, stands to reason he'd be a starting QB in the NFL for at least 5 years.  We spend #1 on a QB, we get the dual problems of not getting a return for several years, and likely pissing off our highest paid player (if he even agreed to come here without a verbal guarantee we aren't drafting a QB at #1.  This isn't the Patriots picking a QB in the later rounds every year, this is basically ensuring that if he's not a top 3 QB every year, part of the fanbase will want to replace him with our so called QB of the future. 

59 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Matt Miller says he lines up majority of the time at CB but he is often used as well as a roaming Safety. He is a inside CB that has very good coverage ability and size to play against TEs or WRs.

He can do either. If you want to label him as a safety in the NFL instead of a CB that's fine but again, he is NOT a SS that's Peppers-- he is a FS/inside CB.

Srong safetys can't cover and play in the box as more of a extra linebacker. Fitzpatrick has great coverage ability as a CB so if anything, he would translate to the NFL as a FS who can line up inside or outside at CB.

He is a big version of Tyron Matheiu who has far better 1v1 coverage ability. So translate that to a current player if you wish. 

Matt Miller is dead wrong or you a lying hoping no one will catch it. Again ignoring facts just to push your agenda. Good thing you're not in charge of the Browns. I want my GM to put emotions, bias and agenda's aside and gather all the facts he can to make the best possible decision.

I am not going to waste my time looking for them for you but the facts are out there and Minkah very rarely lines up as an outside corner. He is a nickle/SS period.

If you want help finding the stats I'm sure @Mind Character will gladly post them for you.

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

If the Browns offer Kirk Cousins 100+ million dollars that they will not be taking a QB #1. Same could probably be said if you give up a 2nd + 4th round pick for Smith so be prepared to lose it lol

I was thinking about this the other day...how much would Alex Smith really cost us?

There are a LOT of things, that say, let this deal "Happen"....I'm not saying KC gives us a trade off "Draft Day"

First and foremost alex smith is going to be 34 years old BEFORE the start of the season....2. The Chiefs want to start their young QB and dont want to cut Smith (PR and Salary Cap ramifications)....Currently the Chiefs are 32nd in the NFL in cap space....with a projections of them already being over the cap....alex smith is 17M off the books....and Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill are due up for extensions soon..Dorsey went to get Alex Smith the first time, so KC would be "doing him a solid and handling him the right way".

I am thinking a 2019 3rd rounder along with Cody Kessler and Nate Orchard (KC needs YOUTH at LB/Edge) I am thinking should be the offer? Anyone else think different?

@AkronsWitness

35 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Fitzpatrick has great coverage ability as a CB so if anything, he would translate to the NFL as a FS who can line up inside or outside at CB.

Nah man...see point 2 in bold and the rest below in the quote box.

I noted that he did play the majority of his snaps as NCB-Nickel CB, but after that the aligment he played most was as a Strong Safety/Box Safety.

It's about utilizing a player to their strengths. Jamal Adams and Jabrill Peppers are such good football players that they can play free safety and do it well at times.

Minkah is the same, but that is just not what he does best, and it is not just about how he was used in college but is readily seen when one looks at how he uses his eyes, his hip stiffness, and how he naturally processes plays from various positions on the field.

If we draft him to be our FS, it will likely look like Jabrill looked this year.

On 1/19/2018 at 4:01 PM, Mind Character said:

I really think the people that mock Minkah to us either: 1.)  Don't watch the Browns or know our roster intimately, 2.) Incorrectly assume that a former CB that transitions to Safety must definitely have transitioned to Free Safety., 3.) Don't actually watch Minkah's games closely and see where he's lined up/his play abilities.

It's really that simple.

Anyone that has Minkah as a Free Safety including guys in the media I like at times (Matt Miller) can't have actually watched him.

They see the Browns need a FS and Minkah played CB at Bama and now plays safety...so they assume that means FS.

They mistakenly think that means Minkah plays FS for Bama when Bama lists Minkah on the depth chart as a Strong Safety and his snap breakdown this year was 38% Strong Safety alignment, 52% nickel CB/SS, 4% WLB, 4% Single High FS; 2% Boundary CB.

He literally NEVER plays deep FS whether that be in cover 3, cover 1, cover 2, cover 4...he just doesn't play that role.

And even crazier is that fact that he didn't do a ton of FS play last year either when Eddie Jackson played the FS role at Bama.

The real question is...does his skill set match that of a FS? The answer is hell to the nah he's an amazing SS prospect and nickel SS so leave him there where his skill shines...just like Jabrill Peppers and Jamal Adams.

Could Jamal Adams play FS? Of course, he's talented but it would be under-utilizing him. Same with Jabrill Peppers and Minkah.

Minkah doesn't naturally range and make plays on the ball and is a little stiff in the hips having trouble flipping them and running via a smooth transition...which is why he struggled with Hunter Renfrow in the NCG via the Nickel spot.

If Barkley is gone, the only one worth that pick is Chubb, but it makes more sense to trade down and look for an impact position that we need; that is Corner Back.

There is no LT worth the 4th pick nor is there one worth a top20 selection. The only one worth a 1st round pick is Mike McGlinchey.

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Matt Miller is dead wrong or you a lying hoping no one will catch it. Again ignoring facts just to push your agenda. Good thing you're not in charge of the Browns. I want my GM to put emotions, bias and agenda's aside and gather all the facts he can to make the best possible decision.

I am not going to waste my time looking for them for you but the facts are out there and Minkah very rarely lines up as an outside corner. He is a nickle/SS period.

If you want help finding the stats I'm sure @Mind Character

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I was thinking about this the other day...how much would Alex Smith really cost us?

There are a LOT of things, that say, let this deal "Happen"....I'm not saying KC gives us a trade off "Draft Day"

First and foremost alex smith is going to be 34 years old BEFORE the start of the season....2. The Chiefs want to start their young QB and dont want to cut Smith (PR and Salary Cap ramifications)....Currently the Chiefs are 32nd in the NFL in cap space....with a projections of them already being over the cap....alex smith is 17M off the books....and Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill are due up for extensions soon..Dorsey went to get Alex Smith the first time, so KC would be "doing him a solid and handling him the right way".

I am thinking a 2019 3rd rounder along with Cody Kessler and Nate Orchard (KC needs YOUTH at LB/Edge) I am thinking should be the offer? Anyone else think different?

I heard from a KC beat writer they are probably going to be looking for a 2nd + some change.

However, the Cheifs don't have a 3rd or 5th round pick I believe so I think if the Browns want to get aggressive a 2+6 could get it done. If the market is not there I think refilling their lost draft stock with a 3+5 could be the answer. Which is basically us getting Alex Smith for free for at least a year considering how much draft stock we have.

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I heard from a KC beat writer they are probably going to be looking for a 2nd + some change.

However, the Cheifs don't have a 3rd or 5th round pick I believe so I think if the Browns want to get aggressive a 2+6 could get it done. If the market is not there I think refilling their lost draft stock with a 3+5 could be the answer. Which is basically us getting Alex Smith for free for at least a year considering how much draft stock we have.

Interesting......I feel what you heard here....but asking for a 2nd + change for a 34 year old QB...who you NEED to get rid of anyway....feels to me like asking for Bill Gates to pay $10.00 for a whopper just because he has the money.....

I have gotten into a bunch of debates with other fans proposing possible trades....and they ALL want to start with a 2nd round pick...not because its "Worth it" but because "Well yall have so many 2nd round picks why not just give up one".....

What would you offer them in return? I'm trying to get a logical gauge....giving them a 3rd + a young QB with starting experience and still developmental potential, plus an edge rusher (busto draft pick for a 2nd, but still an NFL caliber player) both on there low rookie contracts, I think is a win win.....

If KC wanted one of our 2nd's (Philly pick, I would even consider 33 or 35)...then I would want something like Smith and a 5th (and since we already have that...then I would want a 2019 4th)....

Please Brothers....let me know if I am being unreasonable here???

16 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Interesting......I feel what you heard here....but asking for a 2nd + change for a 34 year old QB...who you NEED to get rid of anyway....feels to me like asking for Bill Gates to pay $10.00 for a whopper just because he has the money.....

I have gotten into a bunch of debates with other fans proposing possible trades....and they ALL want to start with a 2nd round pick...not because its "Worth it" but because "Well yall have so many 2nd round picks why not just give up one".....

What would you offer them in return? I'm trying to get a logical gauge....giving them a 3rd + a young QB with starting experience and still developmental potential, plus an edge rusher (busto draft pick for a 2nd, but still an NFL caliber player) both on there low rookie contracts, I think is a win win.....

If KC wanted one of our 2nd's (Philly pick, I would even consider 33 or 35)...then I would want something like Smith and a 5th (and since we already have that...then I would want a 2019 4th)....

Please Brothers....let me know if I am being unreasonable here???

It all depends on the market which we will find out. Either way I believe a 3rd rounder is going to be involved. Maybe a team like JAX would be willing to pay their late 2nd round pick. Who knows. It's not what's fair, it's what the market sets the price at given everyone's unique situation.

A team like JAX and CLE could get into a bidding war or sorts driving the compensation up since they both seem like the most logical fits for Alex Smith.

There may be no interest at all and you could get away with offering a 3rd + Orchard.

We will see but the fair price tag for Smith who is still a top 10-15 QB despite his age will probably be a 3rd + change. That's fair given he probably only has 3 years left. What his price turns out to be is how far a QB desperate team is willing to give up. 

I prefer Cousins or a free McCarron/Bradford to and Alex Smith, but if we go try to trade for Smith, I'd offer a late round pick and Cody Kessler.  We seem to hate him, and the Chiefs may be in the market for a cheap backup who didn't embarrass himself when forced to start in 2016.

Mock Using My Targeted Big Board

--------------------------

Draft Criteria: Select the Best Players Available and Consider Need Secondarily

1st Round:

1(1) Browns Select: Sam Darnold QB USC

1(2) New York Giants select Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma

1(3) Indianapolis Colts select Saquon Barkley RB Penn State

------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Trade**** 1(4) to Buffalo for both their 1st(21) + 1st(22) in 2018, as well as their 2018 2nd round pick; We also get their 1st and 3rd in 2019. Buffalo can't resist trading up get Josh Rosen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1(21-via Buffalo) Browns Select: Carlton Davis CB Auburn

1(23-via Buffalo) Browns Select: Tremaine Edmunds LB Va Tech: Head Scratcher?? Not a need you say. Edmunds is a transformational defensive player and is just Too talented to pass up. BPA by a long shot. Has top LB in the league upside and his impact is game/defense changing. Will challenge Schobert and Collins as starter...and could be a star pro bowl impact player long term in lieu of Schobert's likely flash in a pan pro bowl bid. Trade Schobert if you must, but with an abundance of picks you don't pass on transformational talents if they fall in your lap. Will get on the field immediately as an additional pass rusher from the MLB position on 3rd down.

***Trade**** Our 1st pick in the 2nd round and present/future draft considerations (3rd and 4th rounders)

1(24) Browns Select: Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame

2nd Round:

2. (via Texans) Browns Select: Billy Price C Ohio State

2. (via Buffalo) Browns Select: Mike Hughes CB UCF

2. (via Eagles) Browns Select: Ronald Jones RB USC

3rd Round

3. Traded to get pick 1(24)

4th Round:

4. Browns Select: Darious Williams CB UAB

4. Browns Select: Terrell Edmunds FS Va Tech // Kameron Kelly FS SDSU // Armani Watts SS/FS TAMU

5th Round:

5. Browns Select: Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico

5. Browns Select: Bo Scarborough RB Alabama 

6th Round:

6. Browns Select: Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson

7th Round:

7. Browns Select: BPA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Mock Using My Targeted Big Board

--------------------------

Draft Criteria: Select the Best Players Available and Consider Need Secondarily

1st Round:

1(1) Browns Select: Sam Darnold QB USC

1(2) New York Giants select Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma

1(3) Indianapolis Colts select Saquon Barkley RB Penn State

***Trade**** 1(4) to Buffalo for both their 1st(21) + 1st(22) in 2018, as well as their 2018 2nd round pick; We also get their 1st and 3rd in 2019. Buffalo can't resist trading up get Josh Rosen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1(21-via Buffalo) Browns Select: Carlton Davis CB Auburn

1(23-via Buffalo) Browns Select: Tremaine Edmunds LB Va Tech: Head Scratcher?? Not a need you say. Edmunds is a transformational defensive player and is just Too talented to pass up. BPA by a long shot. Has top LB in the league upside and his impact is game/defense changing. Will challenge Schobert and Collins as starter...and could be a star pro bowl impact player long term in lieu of Schobert's likely flash in a pan pro bowl bid. Trade Schobert if you must, but with an abundance of picks you don't pass on transformational talents if they fall in your lap. Will get on the field immediately as an additional pass rusher from the MLB position on 3rd down.

***Trade**** Our 1st pick in the 2nd round and present/future draft considerations (3rd and 4th rounders)

1(24) Browns Select: Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame

2nd Round:

2. (via Texans) Browns Select: Billy Price C Ohio State

2. (via Buffalo) Browns Select: Mike Hughes CB UCF

2. (via Eagles) Browns Select: Ronald Jones RB USC

3rd Round

3. Traded to get pick 1(24)

4th Round:

4. Browns Select: Darious Williams CB UAB

4. Browns Select: Terrell Edmunds FS Va Tech // Kameron Kelly FS SDSU // Armani Watts SS/FS TAMU

5th Round:

5. Browns Select: Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico

5. Browns Select: Bo Scarborough RB Alabama 

6th Round:

6. Browns Select: Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson

7th Round:

7. Browns Select: BPA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Superb overall, though we know how I feel about certain hands. TE late with this being a deep TE draft? Punter?

Archived