Mock Draft/Off-season Thread

OhioG

Obviously I'd prefer a different QB, but I wouldn't hate it either.

My "issue" is that I think most everybody goes before you have us picking them. I think Edmunds goes late teens, same for McGlinchey. Davis I don't have a good read on yet, but I think all of your 2nd rounders end up doing earlier than listed except maybe Jones. I like pretty much all your picks, just don't know how realistic they are.

5 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I am thinking a 2019 3rd rounder along with Cody Kessler and Nate Orchard (KC needs YOUTH at LB/Edge) I am thinking should be the offer? Anyone else think different?

Think it will take a little more but you're in the ballpark.

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Obviously I'd prefer a different QB, but I wouldn't hate it either.

My "issue" is that I think most everybody goes before you have us picking them. I think Edmunds goes late teens, same for McGlinchey. Davis I don't have a good read on yet, but I think all of your 2nd rounders end up doing earlier than listed except maybe Jones. I like pretty much all your picks, just don't know how realistic they are.

Very true in that many of the players are expected to go before where I selected them as of now in some mocks, but the interesting thing is to interrogate what sets our/everyone expectancy.

Past draft history has proven to me that there are players that everyone piles love on for mock drafts that end up going much later.

...And in a draft where there is certain to be crazy QB action at the top along with potential trades for such QBs, premium talent will get pushed down the board.

Last year even up until the final mocks before draft week Malik Hooker, OJ Howard, David Njoku, Ryan Ramczyk, Before the draft last year, we all thought it was almost impossible for Malik Hooker to fall to 12. Every mock had him going top 7 and some even top 3. He went 14.

I know we all remember OJ Howard being a guaranteed lock on all big boards and mocks to go top 12 with many final mocks having him going top 9 and top 6 even...He went 19th. Ramczyk the best OT thought to go top 15 went 32. David Njoku a top 20 lock went 29.

Historically centers slide in the draft and there are many Centers that people think can be starters had later on so it's actually realistic that Price goes top 2nd round. Some don't even have Price as the number 1 center but instead believe James Daniels to be that. With RB depth in the draft pool RBs can slide as is the case with Hughes at CB. With McGlinchey the difference between the late teens and number 21-24 isn't real that big of a margin especially when a serious run on QBs happens.

Ultimately, you could definitely be right as I acknowledged to myself such perceived realities before doing the mock, but I definitely think where I selected the players in my mock is still in the plausible ranges for their selection.

We shall see. it's definitely a best case scenario fun mock.

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Superb overall, though we know how I feel about certain hands. TE late with this being a deep TE draft? Punter?

Four 1st round picks?  Has that ever even happened?  Don't think I'd trade up for OT, though I wouldn't mind an early 2nd used on one (Okorafor comes to mind as an example) since even if Joe comes back next year, I don't think he stays beyond that.  

Don't mind the LB selection, on paper our LBs look solid and yet .... somethings missing.  That said, I'm not up for trading or diminishing Shoberts spot given that he's one of the few draft picks over the last couple years that has actually shown growth. 

FS is a glaring "FIX ME NOW" need - dunno if waiting til the 4th round to touch it is wise.  

6 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

Don't mind the LB selection, on paper our LBs look solid and yet .... somethings missing.  That said, I'm not up for trading or diminishing Shoberts spot given that he's one of the few draft picks over the last couple years that has actually shown growth. 

Pass coverage and depth are missing. This unit needs bolstering.

6 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

FS is a glaring "FIX ME NOW" need - dunno if waiting til the 4th round to touch it is wise.

Agree.

Not much available in FA or in this draft, but we have to take a shot earlier at the best of the bunch.

Apparently Dorsey spent considerable time with Davenport, about 40 minutes unscheduled.  Don't think thats a smoke screen either - could well take that young man at 4.  

I think we have better players at DE than we do at S currently, so I'd rather got for Fitz @ 4.  That said, if Davenport turns up the heat for pass rush, that'd be cool - but again I wonder, barring FA signing or trade, could McCourty move to FS and would such a move be a net positive for the secondary?  

From what I am reading it really seems like Dorsey is going to make a run at Cousins.  I don't think Washington will give him the tag again as that is a major cap hit and they just need to move on as Cousins will isn't going to resign with them.  This would give Kizer a great person to sit behind and develop....I have doubts he will but he is still very young.

Here is what I think is going to happen.

FA

Kirk Cousins...thining 5 year 120 mil heavily front loaded

Terelle Pryor...3 year 27 million with incentives up to 35 mil.

Jarvis Landry/Sammy Watkins/ Allen Robinson...have heard the Rams are willing to use the tag on Watkins and same for Jabs with Robinson..5 year 70 million

Malcomb Butler...NE is not going to pay him and we have the money...3 big name FA we still have plenty sitting to resign our own FA...5 year 72 mil

Draft

1a   We trade out to the Jets and get 1st, 2nd, 2019 1st, and 3rd and 5h, 2020 1st and 4th they take Darnold

Giants take Rosen, Colts take Quenton Nelson...Luck will need the protection

4b. We take Barkley and give Haley the best RB in the draft to pair with Cousins...we now have weapons between draft and FA

Broncos are going with Allen (my pick for them) or Mayfield

6c.  Minkah Fitzpatrick...I see him at safety with Peppers

14d   Trade up with GB and we take Josh Jackson...give up Jets and Texans 2nds, and and a 5th round

2a  Frank RagnowC/G  Green Bay always loved their lineman and with Wolf and Highsmith we have an immediate back up future star

2b Leighton Vander Esch/Darius Leonard ILB

3a Dalton Schultz TE....he can catch and block 

3b  Alex Cappa OT we trade both 4th's and a 7th...I really like this kid

5a Mike White QB

5b Jaylen Samuels FB 

6a  Chad Thomas DE

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Source(s)?

Particularly since I believe that this would be a Brownsesquely stupid thing to do?

Hey Rizzo,

It was Joe Thomas. You wouldn't know because he refuses to be a guest on your wah wah morning show. He happens to be a HOF LT who would rather be a part of a Browns winning run than be a part of the group right before the Browns winning run. He wrote in SI that we should go get Cousins, then use our 5 picks in the top 65 to take the best players possible, be aggressive in free agency, and win now. He's there first hand and feels like if we made that a reality that we are playoff bound immediately. And sorry, I don't disagree with him. We have had TWO winning seasons since 1999, the most recent being 2006 with Derek Anderson. Cousins has matched Anderson's TD numbers every year, while completing 10% more of his passes, and throwing 35% fewer interceptions. 

People don't seem to understand that even by drafting the best QB this year, there is a 90%+ probability that they end up being worse than what Kirk Cousins is as a QB.  

8 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

People don't seem to understand that even by drafting the best QB this year, there is a 90%+ probability that they end up being worse than what Kirk Cousins is as a QB

I need a source, if not, this is just careless fodder.

9 hours ago, StewieRules said:

Apparently Dorsey spent considerable time with Davenport, about 40 minutes unscheduled.  Don't think thats a smoke screen either - could well take that young man at 4.  

Bro, relax, that very well may be the case that Dorsey is interested but that doesn't mean he has a first round grade on the guy. He is an intriguing guy, but not worth the #4 pick, Dorsey did take a guy similar to him last year in Tanoh Kpassagnon and that was at pick #59.

12 hours ago, StewieRules said:

I just feel we can get better. Yes, we have had a lot of growth at that position but even PFF rates Schobert as "Average" and Kirksey as "Poor" which is actually in line with what I thought about them, nothing spectacular outside an occasional sack which was drawn up by Williams. I actually hope we use some of our mid round picks (Maybe a 2nd for Rashaan Evans or Leighton Vander Esch) on a few guys who are high upside guys, Josey Jewell, Jack Cichy,Tegray Scales, Jason Cabinda, Joel Lanning and Skai Moore. I am just not excited out our LBs outside of Jamie Collins.

12 hours ago, Wolfhunt said:

From what I am reading it really seems like Dorsey is going to make a run at Cousins.  I don't think Washington will give him the tag again as that is a major cap hit and they just need to move on as Cousins will isn't going to resign with them.  This would give Kizer a great person to sit behind and develop....I have doubts he will but he is still very young.

Here is what I think is going to happen.

FA

Kirk Cousins...thining 5 year 120 mil heavily front loaded

Terelle Pryor...3 year 27 million with incentives up to 35 mil.

Jarvis Landry/Sammy Watkins/ Allen Robinson...have heard the Rams are willing to use the tag on Watkins and same for Jabs with Robinson..5 year 70 million

Malcom Butler...NE is not going to pay him and we have the money...3 big name FA we still have plenty sitting to resign our own FA...5 year 72 mil

Draft

1a   We trade out to the Jets and get 1st, 2nd, 2019 1st, and 3rd and 5h, 2020 1st and 4th they take Darnold

Giants take Rosen, Colts take Quenton Nelson...Luck will need the protection

4b. We take Barkley and give Haley the best RB in the draft to pair with Cousins...we now have weapons between draft and FA

Broncos are going with Allen (my pick for them) or Mayfield

6c.  Minkah Fitzpatrick...I see him at safety with Peppers

14d   Trade up with GB and we take Josh Jackson...give up Jets and Texans 2nds, and and a 5th round

2a  Frank RagnowC/G  Green Bay always loved their lineman and with Wolf and Highsmith we have an immediate back up future star

2b Leighton Vander Esch/Darius Leonard ILB

3a Dalton Schultz TE....he can catch and block 

3b  Alex Cappa OT we trade both 4th's and a 7th...I really like this kid

5a Mike White QB

5b Jaylen Samuels FB 

6a  Chad Thomas DE

You're very, very wrong on the money. You've got us paying 61 million dollars a year to those four guys alone. The reason we have so much cap space this year is because of rollover money, which does not accumulate beyond one year. So while we'd still have money THIS year to pay a few one year vets, we would be at or over the cap next year. A hundred million in cap space and you managed to blow it on four guys. One specifically is hilarious, who in their right mind is giving TP multiple years at 9M AAV? The dude played on a one year prove it deal and proceeded to crash and burn. If he's back it's on a one-year, 3-4M deal tops.

As for the draft, your numbering system is insane and confusing and I hate it. Also, I don't love Barkley top five but I won't cry myself to sleep about it. Okay with Minkah at six. I like Josh Jackson a lot but I don't know if I'd move that much capital for him or try to target Davis/Hughes late 1st. Late round picks are late round picks.

Here I will give it a go. Let me know what you guys think?

Free Agency:

Allen Robinson WR

Cody Latimer WR

Charles Sims RB

Luke Wilson TE

Avery Williamson ILB

Kyle Fuller CB

Eric Reid S

Dontari Poe DT

1(1) Saquon Barkley RB

1(4) Josh Allen QB

*Trade Browns trade 2(33), 2(35), 5(175) to Pittsburgh for their 1(28)

1(28) Orlando Brown OT

2(63) Ronnie Harrison S

3(65) DJ Moore WR

4(108) Oren Burks LB

4(137) Adonis Alexander CB

Archived