Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Just now, beezee said:

Your wrists shouldn't really be involved, honestly.  If they are, the weight is too far back in your hands.

I don't have great shoulder or thoracic mobility, when I push press and sometimes when I get tired on the seated steep press I get into that front rack position.  Something with my right shoulder I need to revert to that position.

For those who want a good trap workout I did a super set of behind the back smith Shrugs (mainly to get the pulling motion started from my traps) right into Hang Cleans.  4-6 sets 8 reps with a pause for the shrugs, 2-6 reps for the cleans.  Depending how heavy you want to go but no more than 6.  Then I did 4 rounds of heavy farmers then did for the first time ****** grip deadlifts ~50% of my 1RM for regular deads and did that for 4 sets 15 reps.  Trying to stay away from too much shrugging because that causes my neck to tighten up so much.  In fact what I'd really like to do is try the cleans for 6 reps then overhead press the weight and go into overhead shrugs.  Another good trap builder that doesn't bother my neck.  Plus works on shoulder stability in the overhead position.  Or you can do a round of snatches into overhead shrugs I think I like that better, that could be killer and pairs better with snatches.

Imma throw this out there, but dont expect a lot of response. Would anyone be interested in some sort of accountability team type thing? Like we all check in with eachother to make sure we work out everyday (but Sunday)? We could do it here or facebook/cell. Some sort of group chat thing? I feel like thats my biggest issue - I have no one to hold me accountable or motivate me via competition. 

24 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Imma throw this out there, but dont expect a lot of response. Would anyone be interested in some sort of accountability team type thing? Like we all check in with eachother to make sure we work out everyday (but Sunday)? We could do it here or facebook/cell. Some sort of group chat thing? I feel like thats my biggest issue - I have no one to hold me accountable or motivate me via competition. 

I'm pretty good about motivating myself, but Id be happy to call you a lazy SOB everyday if that's what you need.

Anyone else too really.

• Like 1

Just finished a course in Metabolic Analytics with Charles Poliquin.  Holy crap that amount that I learned!

After getting my body fat measured I found out my problem is too much estrogen.  Endogenous as well as exogenous.  So I need to detox and get rid of these estrogens as well as make sure I don't use products that will increase the levels again.

On 9/14/2017 at 0:42 PM, Matts4313 said:

So you want an accountabilibuddy? Butters is probably available.

Was at gym today ( YMCA) and you see some interesting things in there. Today I saw a chubby kid and his skinny friend somewhere between 14-16 years old loading up smith machine for squats. I'm finishing up my workout, but felt almost obligated to hang around and do bit extra work.  

Now granted they put lockouts way up about 8 inches below bar, but still almost felt obligated to watch the bigger kid struggle to load plate after plate as smaller one sat back with his camera phone ready to go. In total he loaded around 300 pounds on the bar and then begin to do what maybe a 1/16 squat in which his legs buckled his body titled to one side, but he did manage to get back up those few inches without his spine shooing threw his rectum like some sort of mortal kombat fatality so success I guess... 

Anyone else have expirences like this when you want to say something, but the general rule of get in do your own stuff, shut up, and get out stand in your way? 

side note got a chance to briefly speak with cute hipster girl after workout. Which like I said I did after workout ( which I think follows gym etiquette). 

I've been swimming laps for cardio instead of running lately, and every time I've been at the pool there has been a plump woman in her mid-40s that just swims nonstop for 30-45 minutes at a very decent pace. I can go maybe 4-5 laps before I need to catch my breath, but she just. keeps. going. It is inspiring. 

6 hours ago, project T.O said:

Was at gym today ( YMCA) and you see some interesting things in there. Today I saw a chubby kid and his skinny friend somewhere between 14-16 years old loading up smith machine for squats. I'm finishing up my workout, but felt almost obligated to hang around and do bit extra work.  

Now granted they put lockouts way up about 8 inches below bar, but still almost felt obligated to watch the bigger kid struggle to load plate after plate as smaller one sat back with his camera phone ready to go. In total he loaded around 300 pounds on the bar and then begin to do what maybe a 1/16 squat in which his legs buckled his body titled to one side, but he did manage to get back up those few inches without his spine shooing threw his rectum like some sort of mortal kombat fatality so success I guess... 

Anyone else have expirences like this when you want to say something, but the general rule of get in do your own stuff, shut up, and get out stand in your way? 

side note got a chance to briefly speak with cute hipster girl after workout. Which like I said I did after workout ( which I think follows gym etiquette). 

I've seen it but for the most part, unless the person is literally about to kill themselves, I let it go.  We are all young and dumb, and a stranger approaching you in the gym as a noobie kind of tells them that people are watching and may turn them off.  They'll learn eventually.

6 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I've been swimming laps for cardio instead of running lately, and every time I've been at the pool there has been a plump woman in her mid-40s that just swims nonstop for 30-45 minutes at a very decent pace. I can go maybe 4-5 laps before I need to catch my breath, but she just. keeps. going. It is inspiring. 

We have women like that at my gym, except not with the pool but the stairmaster.  She can be on there for like an hour and a half no issue.  She does like 3 hours of cardio every day.

1 minute ago, freak_of_nature said:

My 3 top Gym pet peeves:

1. People choosing the adjustable bench for solely flat bench work, when there are flat benches available.
  2. Doing curls or any small exercise in the squat rack.
  3. Not putting back the dumbbells in the right spots.

Agree with all of them.  I'll add in not removing the weights from barbells and just going to do something else and letting everyone else in the gym wonder if you're coming back.  Personally I give it 2 mins and then it's mine if you're nowhere to be found.

Also people who use the cable cross overs for single cable exercises when there are single cables available.