The Apple Thread 

On 6/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, Xenos said:

Maybe I’m easily fooled but I thought the fake buttons were real unless I turn my iPhone off completely. 

I think you indeed, might be easily fooled.  🙃  I find nothing at all convincing about them, aside from externally kinda looking like a button on casual visual inspection.

I'm picky, but Haptic feedback stuff still just isn't anywhere near the level of replacing actual physical/mechanical buttons.  It's why i absolutely despise the trend in the car industry, of replacing every possible button, dial, or physical control, with a touch screen.  Not to mention the ghastly aesthetic consequences.

I mean, haptic stuff works fine enough in a phone/tablet (though seems to make the fake buttons utterly pointless to me).  When i'm using a phone, i'm generally focused on that.  But in so many of the other applications it's spreading to, buttons are just so much nicer in their "no look" feedback, or just quick casual touch indexing while not paying attention.  Touch screens are showing up everywhere though.  Feels like a lot of things are getting touch screens, purely for the sake of having a touch screen...when functionally and ergonomically, a button would still be superior.

Epitomized by those idiotic "smart screen" toasters.  Gtfo with that nonsense.  😩

• 4 weeks later...

I currently have a Samsung Note 8, which released in 2017. The phone is still running well, but I'm planning on getting a new phone this year. Was going to get an iPhone 12 Pro Max a month ago, but decided it's best to wait until this September/October since the new phones are coming out.

Right now I've got my mind made up on two phones: iPhone 13 Pro Max (or whatever they end up calling it) or the Google Pixel 6 Pro.

The Pixel is sort of like the iPhone of Android phones. It runs pure Android since it's made by Google. Those phones have also been lighter on hardware than competitors like the Samsung Galaxy/Note series, which normally have insane hardware. This time, however, it seems the Pixel is going to be much more in the flagship ballpark. Here are some rumored specs:

t2XLwra.png

Those are pretty much flagship specs. Still need to see this "Google chipset" and how that works once the phone is released. There was a post that Google will announce 5 years of support for the Pixel, which is great for me since I normally keep a phone for like 2-3 years anyway.

As far as iPhone goes, the intriguing thing to me is how well the phone works and the entire ecosystem. I don't own apple products like the airpods, airtags, or Apple Watch, but I would definitely be interested in those items if I were to get an iPhone. The concern with iPhone's for me is their specs are not all that great on paper. Even on the iPhone 12 Pro Max, the screen is still 60hz refresh rate, which is so outdated. Android phones have all had 90hz and 120hz refresh rate screens for a while now that it's not even a noteworthy feature anymore.

I still have a few months to decide, so I'll probably be back once more concrete information is released about both phones.

On 7/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, showtime said:

As far as iPhone goes, the intriguing thing to me is how well the phone works and the entire ecosystem. I don't own apple products like the airpods, airtags, or Apple Watch, but I would definitely be interested in those items if I were to get an iPhone. The concern with iPhone's for me is their specs are not all that great on paper. Even on the iPhone 12 Pro Max, the screen is still 60hz refresh rate, which is so outdated. Android phones have all had 90hz and 120hz refresh rate screens for a while now that it's not even a noteworthy feature anymore.

Apple has never won the performance war on paper, no matter which product it is. They've always been equivalent, or better in a lot of cases, when they go to the bench. The performance has always been better than the numbers would suggest. Even the screens don't match in numbers, but they're clearer, better colors, and just look better. If you're concerned about the numbers, go in somewhere and look at a 12 Pro Max.

For the ecosystem, it all just works. Once you connect AirPods to your phone, you can also just change the audio out and connect them to an AppleTV, Mac, or your Watch if you want to leave your phone behind. HomeKit is great. You just scan a code, and add a smart device. Then it's just all in a hub together, you can add people to the house, and it all has to meet a higher security standard than non-HomeKit stuff.

Something else to think about is that Apple is going all in on privacy and security. Apps have to meet their standards to get in the App Store, so it's more locked down, but you also don't have to worry about getting a virus from a new app you're trying. On the other side of that, Google is an advertising company.

• 2 months later...

As expected with COVID screwing up both supply chains and the whole teamwork on a new product aspect of device design, the new iPhones are another pretty underwhelming upgrade. Even the jump from the 11 to the 13, where 2 years is usually a pretty good jump, it doesn’t seem like that much.

That said, I did end up making the jump. My battery has tanked because of the increased usage while stuck at home for COVID. And Verizon Business is running a promo with $1,000 on a trade in of an 11 Pro and an additional discount on our monthly bill. Upgraded me to a 13 Pro Max and the wife to a 13 Pro, and basically all we have to do is pay the tax on them and then get reimbursed through a bill reduction each month until it’s effectively free. Really hard to argue with that, even if it isn’t the most compelling upgrade.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:06 AM, MrDrew said:

Apple has never won the performance war on paper, no matter which product it is. They've always been equivalent, or better in a lot of cases, when they go to the bench. The performance has always been better than the numbers would suggest. Even the screens don't match in numbers, but they're clearer, better colors, and just look better. If you're concerned about the numbers, go in somewhere and look at a 12 Pro Max.

Pretty much all new phones can run all the apps needed in an acceptable amount of time. Its crazy to me how people still spec shop when the phones do practically all the same exact things, they just get there different. 

I’m still using an 8+ since its release a couple years ago but I’m eyeing the 13 pro max for an upgrade. This phone is still pretty much entirely functional though. The only issues are the memory is like 95% full and the speaker is kinda warbled but I have AirPods 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't know, man. That 13 Pro doesn't look to good to me. I think I'm just going to wait for the Google Pixel 6 Pro.

I mean what were you expecting or hoping for?