GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

I'm actually ok with it. He loses about 5 seconds, but he also knows the play calls coming. If you take a time out with 2:03 left then that allows the possibility of a pass play since the 2 minute warning stops the clock anyway. The greater availability of plays means a much better chance of getting the first down. So you have to balance the worth of those 5 seconds vs the increased chance of giving up a first. Either decision is acceptable, imo.

I'll take my chances with them throwing, a lot more that can go wrong.

hey um can we stop all these bortles hot takes

he's not a good quarterback bc he burned sean davis after a defense was already keyed in against the run and the run game had been established for him against a run d that was lacking its' general

and

likewise

he isn't a bad quarterback bc he threw a bad one against a hungry bills defense that was able to get consistent pressure and predicates itself on that

he's either a good or bad quarterback based on his entire body of work

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I'm actually ok with it. He loses about 5 seconds, but he also knows the play calls coming. If you take a time out with 2:03 left then that allows the possibility of a pass play since the 2 minute warning stops the clock anyway. The greater availability of plays means a much better chance of getting the first down. So you have to balance the worth of those 5 seconds vs the increased chance of giving up a first. Either decision is acceptable, imo.

Seriously doubt that's what Tomlin was thinking. And time is more important there anyway.

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

Seriously doubt that's what Tomlin was thinking. And time is more important there anyway.

Maybe not, in fact probably not. But you can luck into a decent decision. And not giving up a first is more important than 3 seconds

3 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I'll take my chances with them throwing, a lot more that can go wrong.

And right. A lot easier to stop the run when you know it's coming. A lot harder to stop a run or pass when either is possible and you have to play both.

Again your decision is 100% reasonable, but so would the other way. IF that is what he was thinking disagreeing with him doesn't make him an idiot and unable to do math. It just means he made a different reasonable decision than you would have.

3 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

he's either a good or bad quarterback based on his entire body of work

And I wish people wouldn’t be hyperbolic about this either. He’s been up and down his entire career. He plays bad games and he plays great games. This season has been a solid, game managing season. He’s capable of making the plays to lose games. But he’s also shown to be able to make plays to win games.

Just now, iPwn said:

And I wish people wouldn’t be hyperbolic about this either. He’s been up and down his entire career. He plays bad games and he plays great games. This season has been a solid, game managing season. He’s capable of making the plays to lose games. But he’s also shown to be able to make plays to win games.

Yep. And the truth is he has stepped up and made plays when needed in both playoff games.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

That is just what's gonna happen with people who arent interested in putting him in proper perspective. It's boring to just say what's obvious, which is that he's inconsistent.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Maybe not, in fact probably not. But you can luck into a decent decision. And not giving up a first is more important than 3 seconds

And right. A lot easier to stop the run when you know it's coming. A lot harder to stop a run or pass when either is possible and you have to play both.

Again your decision is 100% reasonable, but so would the other way. IF that is what he was thinking disagreeing with him doesn't make him an idiot and unable to do math. It just means he made a different reasonable decision than you would have.

I'm not sure where you're getting 3 seconds either. They let like 18 seconds run down to get to the 2 min warning. Plus however much time they lost after running two plays.

8 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Agree to disagree. You save the time and tell your D to make a freaking stop for once

1 minute ago, BLick12 said:

I'm not sure where you're getting 3 seconds either. They let like 18 seconds run down to get to the 2 min warning. Plus however much time they lost after running two plays.

Your right 3 seconds is too small. The previous play started at 2:18 so it was probably 10-12 seconds. I don't know why I thought it was under 5.

3 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Agree to disagree. You save the time and tell your D to make a freaking stop for once

Given the time that I admitted I was wrong on above my belief changes, but this is a bad take. You still have to consider what is most likely to benefit the team. You can't just ignore that and then blame the players. That would be like a coach with a horrible QB and great RB throwing 50 times a game and saying not my fault my QB isn't making plays.

This Jax team is clicking right now, very nervous about next week. 

The pass rush could cause some serious problems, and while Pitt did put up a lot of points, the Pats don't have all the playmakers the Steelers do.

Brady is going to have to be surgical again, and our RBs and WRs are going to need to get separation for quick hits (MUCH easier said than done) against this defense. 

5 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

This Jax team is clicking right now, very nervous about next week. 

The pass rush could cause some serious problems, and while Pitt did put up a lot of points, the Pats don't have all the playmakers the Steelers do.

Brady is going to have to be surgical again, and our RBs and WRs are going to need to get separation for quick hits (MUCH easier said than done) against this defense. 

This defense has actually been susceptible to quick hits. It's why I felt Steelers were a better match up than Pats against this defense.

Plus I don't expect Bill B to make as many coaching mistakes that Tomlin did.

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Given the time that I admitted I was wrong on above my belief changes, but this is a bad take. You still have to consider what is most likely to benefit the team. You can't just ignore that and then blame the players. That would be like a coach with a horrible QB and great RB throwing 50 times a game and saying not my fault my QB isn't making plays.

But I already argued that the best decision there was to save time and defend all plays. I think time was more precious there than limiting the Jags' playbook. I definitely see your point too, though.

Archived