GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

11 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im not pinning anything on Mitchell.   I just said he is a loudmouth idiot, and he doesnt back up his talk on the field.

Bell is an idiot too.   Almost kind of glad he will likely be gone this offseason.   Miss his talent....but he has made stupid comments all year....including mentioned how he will retire if he is tagged again the week of prepping for an important playoff game.

My main issue with your logic comes when you say "Pittsburgh's silence to Mitchell and Bell".   Are you kidding me?    They are grown men.    I love this notion that some fans have that these GROWN MEN need to be babysat, and if they mess up or say something stupid, its a direct reflection on the entire team or the head coach.      No....thats just stupid.   They are individuals.     Society as a whole is getting into a dangerous trend of demonizing groups based on one persons actions as opposed to looking at each individual and holding THEM accountable.

Did the Steelers, as a whole, look ahead?   I dont know.   Seemed to be like they just werent prepared for what the Jags threw at them early in the game.   Kind of reminded me of the 2005 Playoffs when the Steelers did something similar to the Colts and jumped out to an early 14-0 lead that the Colts never really bounced back from.     There were alot of poor decisions and bad performances yesterday....but was it because they "looked ahead"?     I cant say since I wasnt in the locker room. 

Either way, this notion that the Steelers team as a whole were being unreasonable based on the comments of two players who are known for having big mouths is silly.    

Sure, but you can only go by what people are willing to say.    No one is saying anyone needs to be babysat - but when 2 players and the coach talk about playing NE in the AFCG, there is only one logical conclusion here.   It's that simple.    Even Decastro acknowledged the comments didn't help, and I'm sure many others on the team felt the same way.  But end result - you make statements like that, and you have 2 players and the coach who clearly show they're looking to NE-PIT AFCG - the roasting afterwards is going to come and frankly, it's entirely justified.  You pull a Joe Namath and guarantee victory, win and you're the toast of the town.   Lose, and well, you're just toasted.

And remember, the consequences are just getting roasted on social media.   So it's not like anyone is getting arrested, losing a job, etc.   But given they didn't confine the comments to just Mitchell - and remember, Coach Tomlin himself added to this perception in November to begin with - when you look at the entire timeline involved, I have no problem with Tomlin being lumped in with those comments, either.  You make statements like those on public record that Tomlin made in November, then have Mitchell & Bell follow up - being accountable for those statements, well that's we are seeing.    And to be clear - this would have happened 20 years ago if 2 guys and a coach were on record as looking to NE-PIT AFCG and lost to Jacksonville, too.  The difference is the scope of the public's response isn't so public as it is now.

Either way, this will blow over - once JAX-NE coverage ramps up, this will be yesterday's news.   Another day, another headline is coming.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Sure, but you can only go by what people are willing to say.    No one is saying anyone needs to be babysat - but when 2 players and the coach talk about playing NE in the AFCG, there is only one logical conclusion here.   It's that simple.    Even Decastro acknowledged the comments didn't help, and I'm sure many others felt the same way.  But end result - you make statements like that, and you have 2 players and the coach who clearly show they're looking to NE-PIT AFCG - the roasting afterwards is going to come and frankly, it's entirely justified.  You pull a Joe Namath and guarantee victory, win and you're the toast of the town.   Lose, and well, you're just toasted.

And remember, the consequences are just getting roasted on social media.   So it's not like anyone is getting arrested, losing a job, etc.   No one But given they didn't confine the comments to just Mitchell - and remember, Coach Tomlin himself added to this perception in November to begin with - well, I have no problem with Tomlin being lumped in with those comments, either.  You make statements like those on public record that Tomlin made in November, then have Mitchell & Bell follow up - being accountable for those statements, well that's we are seeing.    And to be clear - this would have happened 20 years ago if 2 guys and a coach were on record as looking to NE-PIT AFCG and lost to Jacksonville, too.  The difference is the scope of the public's response isn't so public as it is now.

As far as I know, Tomlin only talked about it when he was prompted by the media about what games vs the Pats are like and he said something along the lines of wanting to play them again    Okay...so what?    He didnt claim they were going to definitely play again.   Just that he wanted another shot at them after how the regular season game ended.

Bell and Mitchell deserve to be put on blast for running their mouths.    Im not disputing that.   Im disputing the claim that the Steelers as a whole were unreasonable based on a few players comments.

13 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

As far as I know, Tomlin only talked about it when he was prompted by the media about what games vs the Pats are like and he said something along the lines of wanting to play them again    Okay...so what?    He didnt claim they were going to definitely play again.   Just that he wanted another shot at them after how the regular season game ended.

Bell and Mitchell deserve to be put on blast for running their mouths.    Im not disputing that.   Im disputing the claim that the Steelers as a whole were unreasonable based on a few players comments.

Tomlin’s comments about playing in the AFCG actually started before the week 15 game. In November. 

http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-already-looking-ahead-patriots-game-including

By itself would have been nothing but when you add Bell / Mitchell comments I get why the team is viewed as looking past Jax.   When your coach is talking about it in November... Like it or not the org is going to be painted in that light as a whole.   It’s not hard to see why.  

9 hours ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Then again Tomlin was talking about a "second meeting" with the Pats as well. Don't have to worry about that now.

Came here post something of this nature; it starts from the Coach on down. Always looking ahead, always running his mouth. 

14 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Yea but a good portion of the Steelers points were their playmakers making unreal catches/plays.

Pats don't really have those players outside Gronk.

Individually? No. But let's not act like the Patriots offense doesn't have a plethora of weapons, who, as a unit, can cause mismatches.

Great receiving backs, great all around back in Lewis, GOAT TE, deep threats like Cooks and Hogan.

I think the Patriots really lean on Lewis and Burkhead in this matchup and pound the football.

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Individually? No. But let's not act like the Patriots offense doesn't have a plethora of weapons, who, as a unit, can cause mismatches.

Great receiving backs, great all around back in Lewis, GOAT TE, deep threats like Cooks and Hogan.

I think the Patriots really lean on Lewis and Burkhead in this matchup and pound the football.

I do agree that I think the big matchup will be Lewis, Burkehead, and now White put of the backfield, both running at this stout defensive line and catching passes when they get favorable matchup. 

As for Cooks and Hogan, I'm honestly not expecting much. Hogan is just coming back and Cooks has been underwhelming lately tracking the ball, and this Jags secondary has the man power to keep those two check one v one. 

I think the Jags focusing on Gronk will hopefully open up some passing lanes over the middle for Amendola.

That was a tough game to watch with me wanting to the Steelers to win. And with how the Jaguars ended the season, I didn't have much faith in them. I'm interested in next week, I suspect the Patriots will handle the game pretty easily, but it's hard to know because I've thought that before.

Listen all that brashness and looking ahead rather than what’s in front of you  doesn’t matter. Like it has no bearing on the game. Dunno why we people hang on to these things. Case and point, Ramsey just said they’re gonna win the SB. If the Jags win its confidence and belief. If they lose its naivety and cockiness. And seen as providing bulletin board material. Like it does not matter. 

Now with that said, if your HC is a victim of looking ahead or whatever, then of course your players are gonna follow suit. So the players being outspoken is on the coach. But like I said it doesn’t matter. It has no bearing on the game. Sports analysis is full of narratives and people are looking for one to feel out the coverage of the game. 

24 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Case and point, Ramsey just said they’re gonna win the SB. If the Jags win its confidence and belief. If they lose its naivety and cockiness. And seen as providing bulletin board material. Like it does not matter. 

I just want to say something about this. Maybe this is my teal glasses trying to find a way that this is different. But Ramsey was at an event for fans, who had come to the stadium at night to great the team. He was playing hype man to get the fans excited because they came out to support the team when they didn’t have to. To me, that seems a good bit different than talking about it all week to the media.

Mitchell and Bell definitely were looking forward at the same time can you blame them for believing that they would win? Le'Veon Bell did not look past the Jaguars you went out there and played his *** off and quite frankly Mike Mitchell also played his *** off the problem is he's just not that good. Now I'm not absorbing the Steelers players for potentially getting ahead of themselves but I think the Jaguars made a much bigger deal of it than it needed to be understandably so because it is the playoffs and it is disrespectful when some players on an opposing team are not taking you seriously but in reality Mike Mitchell likely isn't on the roster at the beginning of next season anyway it hopefully Todd Haley isn't the coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers next season.

25 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Listen all that brashness and looking ahead rather than what’s in front of you  doesn’t matter. Like it has no bearing on the game. Dunno why we people hang on to these things. Case and point, Ramsey just said they’re gonna win the SB. If the Jags win its confidence and belief. If they lose its naivety and cockiness. And seen as providing bulletin board material. Like it does not matter. 

Now with that said, if your HC is a victim of looking ahead or whatever, then of course your players are gonna follow suit. So the players being outspoken is on the coach. But like I said it doesn’t matter. It has no bearing on the game. Sports analysis is full of narratives and people are looking for one to feel out the coverage of the game. 

Agree 100 percent.  But if you are willing to talk the talk pre-game, then fail and you will get the post-game fallout.  Which in the end, is nothing more than PR stuff and feel-good moments for JAX and their fans, and more salt in the wound for the PIT fanbase/players.    Once you make this kind of stuff public, it's the inevitable result.  

Once games start next week, this will be all forgotten - at least, until the next JAX-PIT rematch.  Since both teams won the division, it's locked in for 2018.  THAT should be must-see TV lol.

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

I just want to say something about this. Maybe this is my teal glasses trying to find a way that this is different. But Ramsey was at an event for fans, who had come to the stadium at night to great the team. He was playing hype man to get the fans excited because they came out to support the team when they didn’t have to. To me, that seems a good bit different than talking about it all week to the media.

But see people will ignore that. They see that headline and will make it seem like a much bigger deal than it is. It’s not gonna matter where he said it or whatever context is behind it. Ramsey is a bold and confident guy so they’re going to see it as “well it’s just his persona”

Archived