Nick Perry?

TheOnlyThing

Gutey overhauling OLB this offseason like he did the CB room no doubt about it. Clay and Perry are both gone this offseason. I can't believe I'm saying it but Fackrell likely deserves to stick as one of their depth guys, but GB will need to find multiple replacements there via draft and FA

7 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

If we don't cut him, we have a 14.7M cap hit for him. If we do, it's 11.1M.

So yeah, we save 3.6M minus whatever his replacement makes.

I think it depends on whether he is designated a pre-June-1st or post-June-1st cut. (https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/)

a "pre-June-1st" cut would save 3.6M cap and have 11.1m of dead money on the 2019 cap

a "post-June-1st" cut would save *11.0M cap and have 3.7m dead money on the 2019 cap, and 7.4m dead money on the 2020 cap

teams can designate up to 2 players per year as a "post-June-1st" cut, even if cutting them prior to June 1st. This allows the player to hit the market in the heat of FA. However, the 11.0m cap space is deceiving. As a "post-June" cut, Perry's entire 2019 cap hit (14.7m) would stay on the books until June 1st, by which point the saved money isn't as helpful since 2019 free agency would be largely over. 

also, Perry has a 5.4m roster bonus in 2019. I'm not sure how the pre/post-June stuff would affect this. It's possible that by designating him a post-June-1st cut, the contract would be treated as if he was still on the team up until that point, and the team might have to pay him the 5.4m roster bonus. If so, the team would only end up with 5.6m cap savings after June 1st instead of 11.0m. If anyone knows, feel free to correct. 

You're not going to see elite production out of the OLBs in this scheme.

I'm not saying the potential is capped, but when you're responsible for an inside gap rather than outside contain on standard downs, you're just not going to get those numbers. 

Same deal with the pressure packages. We're blitzing rather than stunting. When your job is to pull attention to get a free rusher, you're not going to pull big sack numbers.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nick Perry is on pace for 3 sacks this season, the same as undrafted free agent Reggie Gilbert.

Kyler Fackrell is on pace for 8 sacks and Clay for 5.

Elite production? 

How about simply mediocre play from a guy counting $10.7M against the cap?

Perry's play has been abysmal in Pettine's scheme in 2018 and unless it improves dramatically in the second half of the season he may well be another long time veteran who Gute sends packing this offseason despite the dead cap number associated with such a move.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not saying the potential is capped, but when you're responsible for an inside gap rather than outside contain on standard downs, you're just not going to get those numbers. 

Same deal with the pressure packages. We're blitzing rather than stunting. When your job is to pull attention to get a free rusher, you're not going to pull big sack numbers.

I mean, you don't think Pettine is compensating for having two bums setting the edge?

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So is some of  that on Pettine for not using Perry to his strengths?

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

Perry's strength used to be just that.  Stout at the POA.  He simply isn't any more.

He has to be dealing with some sort of injury because right now he's getting tossed around.

This guy is always dealing with some sort of injury.  I don't care how great you are - if you can't stay on the field, what good are you?  It appears King might be another guy with this problem...

45 minutes ago, Pugger said:

This guy is always dealing with some sort of injury.  I don't care how great you are - if you can't stay on the field, what good are you?  It appears King might be another guy with this problem...

I'm hoping Jaire doesn't have this problem as well .. he was down again last night with something lower body related.  I really don't have a lot of patience for the soft tissue injuries .. these guys are supposed to be top line athletic talents in the peak of physical condition.  

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm hoping Jaire doesn't have this problem as well .. he was down again last night with something lower body related.  I really don't have a lot of patience for the soft tissue injuries .. these guys are supposed to be top line athletic talents in the peak of physical condition.  

Kevin King too

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Jaire just had a muscle cramp. He stretched it out and went right back in. 

Archived