2018 Free Agency

turtle28

2 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Well not far off then what we had with Preston Brown then. But it seems like Compton is a McDermott type player. Sean loves team captains, that give it there all, and a good locker room presence. He is big big blue collar type guys... Seems like Compton fits the mold.

Compton can diagnosis plays well and is a good locker room guy, his legs just aren't fast enough to get him where he needs to be on the field.  He's a pretty big liability on defense.  

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Murphy is definitely a better fit as a 4-3 DE. One thing you should be concerned about is he’s coming off a torn ACL & MCL. I wouldn’t expect the same player that the Redskins got in 2016 when he had 9 sacks, at least not the first half of the year.

Will Compton is a solid reserve. Great lockeroom guy who’s a good leader and really a smart football player who can make all the calls and diagnose what the opposing offense wants to do based off of formations and studying a lot of tape. The problem is that he’s not very athletic or very big and he doesn’t get himself in position to make plays most MLBs/ILBs should be making as starters. He has “it” mentally and as a leader but not physically.  He’s an ok player but not someone you should want as your starter.

Somone else who you may be signing who was a former skin is Junior Galette. He’s a good pass rusher with a lot of moves. He has a quick first step and can put a lot of pressure on opposing offenses trying to block him. 

Thanks. I don't think it is Galette. We have a lot of pass rusher after adding Murphy. Trent may not even start. 

And it sounds that Compton could be a good starter at MLB if you surrounded him with more athletic people. If he is a smart kid and can read defense as you say then I wouldn't mind having him as the QB of the defense so to speak and just have athletic OLBs and run stuffing DTs like we added with Star Lotulelei.

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Presumably those players will still sign somewhere else, meaning some sort of compensation, assuming we do not go a mediocre player spending spree.

Well, if Breeland's injury is going to require a 4 month recovery like it was alleged in the tweet from Rapaport (I think?), he's could easily fall out of the compensatory free agent window and thus net the Redskins nothing even if he signs somewhere else.

Honestly, I think they should bring him back on a one year deal. Let him get his feet under himself again (sorry, bad pun) and then go after free agency next year. Or heck, if he balls out keep him long term.

Grant's deal is going to be much more interesting since it's very likely he has a grievance in the offing.

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well, if Breeland's injury is going to require a 4 month recovery like it was alleged in the tweet from Rapaport (I think?), he's could easily fall out of the compensatory free agent window and thus net the Redskins nothing even if he signs somewhere else.

Honestly, I think they should bring him back on a one year deal. Let him get his feet under himself again (sorry, bad pun) and then go after free agency next year. Or heck, if he balls out keep him long term.

Grant's deal is going to be much more interesting since it's very likely he has a grievance in the offing.

This is definitely on the table if Breeland would consider it. I would not be opposed to a resign of a one year deal for 2-3M because he knows the system and we know what we are getting with him.

Just now, MikeT14 said:

For those of you still foolish enough to believe Doug is making any real decisions. 

https://t.co/eHPgNVx1L2

Like Williams, Gruden said he heard the trade was in place from Allen.

“I think it was the day the President addressed the nation,” Gruden said, referring to Donald Trump’s State of the Union address on Jan. 30, the same night news of the trade broke. “I was watching it when [Allen] called and said there’s a possibility [of getting Smith.] ‘How do you like him?’ And, ‘we’re working with Andy Reid to possibly do a deal.’”

So, this deal was all Moron's idea. Success or failure, it's on his head.

“This guy can do so many different things with the ball. Throwing it, running it, smart, getting you in the right play, productively for a long time. So it’s exciting,” Gruden said of Smith, who had his best statistical season in 2017: 4,042 passing yards, 26 touchdowns and only five interceptions. “Players play hard for him once they get to know him. Just talking to him, I can tell he’s got that vibe about him, that poise, that calmness that you look for in a quarterback.”

Gruden's also buying into his career year being his new norm ...

Archived