gopherwrestler

Jacksonville Jaguars @ New England Patriots  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Jacksonville Jaguars
    • New England Patriots

Just now, August4th said:

that's a good problem to have

Truth. I don't really care about optics when it comes to Super Bowls. If the Jaguars somehow gets to the game and the entire NFC team gets diarrhea the day of the game and pukes and is sick as dogs and dehydrated and can barely move and we win, i would give zero fs as long as we hoist that trophy at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

I’m just frustrated because if we do shut him down and punch our ticket to the Super Bowl, the narrative is gonna be “the Bills sucked, the Steelers weren’t focused and Brady was hurt; the Jags are one of the weakest Super Bowl teams ever”.

And then there’s going to be just a whole lot of discrediting both teams in the Super Bowl, because it won’t be much better for the Eagles with Foles or “the team that only had to beat Foles to make it”. 

I mean this with all due respect, mainly because you are a mod and can get me in trouble, but who the hell cares? Like I'm a Patriots fan. If we win the Super Bowl the narrative is going to be we cake walked and went through a Titans team that shouldn't have been there, Blake Bortles, and then one of two back up QB's. And last year it was the Falcons chocked. And two years before that the Seahawks should have given the ball to a guy who sucked in short yardage situations. 

People will always find ways to discredit success that they aren't part of. That's why you win and say "kiss my rings". You'll be happier when you don't worry about it. 

That said, you don't have to worry about it, because you're playing the Patriots. Game on. 

Just now, lancerman said:

I mean this with all due respect, mainly because you are a mod and can get me in trouble, but who the hell cares? Like I'm a Patriots fan. If we win the Super Bowl the narrative is going to be we cake walked and went through a Titans team that shouldn't have been there, Blake Bortles, and then one of two back up QB's. And last year it was the Falcons chocked. And two years before that the Seahawks should have given the ball to a guy who sucked in short yardage situations. 

And you still come on the forum years later and spend hours arguing about how the defense actually did good against the Falcons and how Bountygate didn’t discredit the first three Super Bowls. So I mean “who the hell cares?” Literally everyone who continues to argue those things on here sometimes 15+ years later.

But I also didn’t say after winning it. I was talking about the two week lead up when we get think pieces about how every other team actually should be there rather than focus on the two teams that are there. I want 58 articles on why Harrison Smith is going to ruin Bortles’ night, not 30 sideshow articles about how we’re only seeing the Jaguars because Brady was hurt.

14 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Truth. I don't really care about optics when it comes to Super Bowls. If the Jaguars somehow gets to the game and the entire NFC team gets diarrhea the day of the game and pukes and is sick as dogs and dehydrated and can barely move and we win, i would give zero fs as long as we hoist that trophy at the end of the day.

if the steelers went 7-9 and somehow won the SB and got labeled the worse SB winning team ever.. I would take that in a heartbeat

Just now, iPwn said:

And you still come on the forum years later and spend hours arguing about how the defense actually did good against the Falcons and how Bountygate didn’t discredit the first three Super Bowls. So I mean “who the hell cares?” Literally everyone who continues to argue those things on here sometimes 15+ years later.

But I also didn’t say after winning it. I was talking about the two week lead up when we get think pieces about how every other team actually should be there rather than focus on the two teams that are there. I want 58 articles on why Harrison Smith is going to ruin Bortles’ night, not 30 sideshow articles about how we’re only seeing the Jaguars because Brady was hurt.

Yeah but I get to take solace in the fact that I am right an I am educating the board with my wisdom. I'm doing important work. And actually our defense did do good against the Falcons, and Spygate is an entirely different overblown thing, if someone says your team only got this far because they cheated by breaking a rule everyone was breaking, feel free to complain. 

For your second paragraph, listen man, I spent two weeks leading up to a Super Bowl reading about a million deflategate articles and every so often hearing about Marshawn Lynch was pissing off the NFL by not answering interview questions. Could be so much worse. If you're not looking forward to it though, by all means call up the Jags and tell them to take a pass on this one. 

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

And actually our defense did do good against the Falcons, and Spygate is an entirely different overblown thing, if someone says your team only got this far because they cheated by breaking a rule everyone was breaking, feel free to complain. 

So this does answer who cares. As I said.

Just now, iPwn said:

So this does answer who cares. As I said.

No you're complaining about a potential media narrative about your team being undeserving of being in the freakin Super Bowl after they presumably have made their first Super Bowl ever (we'll call this some dark alternate timeline). I'm antagonizing stupid people.

Just now, lancerman said:

No you're complaining about a potential media narrative about your team being undeserving of being in the freakin Super Bowl after they presumably have made their first Super Bowl ever (we'll call this some dark alternate timeline). I'm antagonizing stupid people.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Still - I would still prefer to beat the Pats without this “Brady was actually hurt” discussion clouding up the following two weeks. These sideshow storylines are not fun, ever.

Why don't you wait until they beat the Patriots first before thinking about this "problem"

2 minutes ago, Plat2 said:

Why don't you wait until they beat the Patriots first before thinking about this "problem"

Why? My thoughts aren’t going to change whether or not Brady is actually healthy or whether or not the Jaguars will win. I expect this injury will have far more an impact on “optics” than it will on the actual outcome of the game, so I threw out a single post mentioning the fact after I said I expect him to be fine. 

4 minutes ago, Plat2 said:

You know how sometimes people think about all the potential problems they would have if they suddenly became rich, I feel like this is like that

Most of the talk is about the Patriots O vs. Jags D, but I really think the reverse is just as interesting.

I honestly haven't studied the Jaguars offense much at all this season, though I plan on re-watching the Jags-Bills playoff game soon to see how the Bills kept the Jags to 10 points. But here are a few numbers to consider:

Jaguars O is 18th in plays/drive and 12th in yards/drive, while the Patriots D is 31st and 32nd. However, the Jaguars redzone offense is 1st in pts/possession and 2nd in TDs/possession, while the Patriots redzone defense is 2nd and 4th. So this could very much be a battle in the RZ.

Jaguars are 9-0 when Bortles throws it fewer than 32 times and 6-3 when he throws it more than 32 times. However, the Jaguars are only 5-4 when Bortles throws it for fewer than 230 yards, and 7-2 when he has more than 230 passing yards. Meanwhile, the Jaguars are 6-3 when rushing for more than 4 yards per carry, but they are also 6-3 when they rush for 4 yards per carry or less. However, they are 7-2 when rushing for 150+ yards, and 5-4 when running for less. So the Patriots limiting the Jaguars offense will come down to whether it can discourage the Jaguars from running the football, prevent the deep ball, and force Bortles to lead long drives that include a lot of short throws.

Archived