GWT: Week 20 Jaguars @ Patriots

gopherwrestler

Jacksonville Jaguars @ New England Patriots  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Jacksonville Jaguars
    • New England Patriots

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

I actually think Bortles had tons of success (when he was playing well early Dec) vs man. The Jaguars used a lot of crossers with their speed guys (Lee, Cole, Westbrook), both shallow and deep. They had enough mix-ups of some gos (mostly with Cole), but a lot of the big plays were off deep crossing route types.

Maybe the last two games were outliers. I admittedly haven't studied them beyond that. He had trouble fitting the ball into tight windows against the man coverage that Buffalo threw at him, but did well against the Steelers when they played zone.

I definitely think one of the big keys to the game will be whether the Jaguars have success with the deep ball.

Hypothetically if it were announced tomorrow that Brady were not going to play, what do you guys think the line would be on this game?  I still think you could definitely make the case for the Patriots as favorites or at least a close line given:

- Hoyer is a vet who knows the offense and would have a lot of weapons at his disposal 

- Hoyer has had some success in the past in much worse situations and even against good defenses 

- The Patriots were probably going to focus on the running game anyway with Lewis and White

- The game is at home

- Belichick factor 

- Pats defense has been very good the second half of the season and should be able to handle Bortles 

Not that I think there's any chance Brady wouldn't play, even if he's seriously hurt, just an interesting hypothetical. 

9 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Patriots D is a bit better equipped to stop the Jaguars rushing offense with their 4-3 base (or really 4-2-5) with some big tackles inside. Steelers' 3-4 was repeatedly gashed with Dupree and Watt standing up on the edges. Lot of space inside for Fournette, and sometimes he wasn't even touched until he was 4+ yards past the LOS. Patriots also play more man than the Steelers, and Bortles can struggle against man.

Jags could do some damage with play action on early downs. They didn't do that much vs. the Bills but did vs. the Steelers and had some success with it. 

It's a 3-3-5 with a 50 front and Bear alignment to occupy the C-G-C that they have preferred since last year.

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Hypothetically if it were announced tomorrow that Brady were not going to play, what do you guys think the line would be on this game?  I still think you could definitely make the case for the Patriots as favorites or at least a close line given:

- Hoyer is a vet who knows the offense and would have a lot of weapons at his disposal 

- Hoyer has had some success in the past in much worse situations and even against good defenses 

- The Patriots were probably going to focus on the running game anyway with Lewis and White

- The game is at home

- Belichick factor 

- Pats defense has been very good the second half of the season and should be able to handle Bortles 

Not that I think there's any chance Brady wouldn't play, even if he's seriously hurt, just an interesting hypothetical. 

I would say the line would probably be even.

12 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Maybe the last two games were outliers. I admittedly haven't studied them beyond that. He had trouble fitting the ball into tight windows against the man coverage that Buffalo threw at him, but did well against the Steelers when they played zone.

I definitely think one of the big keys to the game will be whether the Jaguars have success with the deep ball.

Overall Blake struggled vs the Bills. I don't think it would have mattered what defense they ran,  he couldn't even hit screens consistently in that game lol.

Also, keep in mind that playing man turns your corner away from the quarterback, something that Blake took advantage of vs the Bills (and a couple of times vs Pitt).

Between his mobility and the speed of Cole/Lee/Westbrook, playing man I think makes it easier for Blake to know what to do with the ball. 

9 hours ago, mission27 said:

Hypothetically if it were announced tomorrow that Brady were not going to play, what do you guys think the line would be on this game?

I think the Line instantly drops 5 points. Just the Brady Factor.

Him & Rodgers are the only two players I can see do this in the NFL.

12 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

It's a 3-3-5 with a 50 front and Bear alignment to occupy the C-G-C that they have preferred since last year.

No. Last couple seasons they've typically had a 4 DL rotation with various fronts and alignments depending on the matchup. Most common is 4-2-5. They've probably run 3-2-6 as often as 3-3-5.

Archived