NFL News & Notes

Leader

The Chicago Bears hosted the Kansas City Chiefs to open the preseason on Saturday, and the turf at Soldier Field was already in midseason form. As in, it looked pretty rough.

The reason? Elton John played a concert at Soldier Field last week, and the fans did a number on the turf. You’d think that would be enough time to get the field conditions situated ahead of an NFL preseason game. Especially given complaints by kicker Cairo Santos earlier this week.

The Bears practiced at Soldier Field on Tuesday for Family Fest, where Santos didn’t hold back about the rough conditions of the field.

I was at Lambeau for the shareholders meeting a week after it hosted a soccer match in the rain. The field was in perfect shape. At any rate, Bears and their opponents are stuck with Soldier Field for a number of years. The Bears at this point have not purchased the land for a proposed new stadium, and that may not happen until early 2023. 

Watching Buf/Ind. First play I see, Keanum  throws a bomb to Kumerow who immediately fumbles for a turnover. Just as I type this, they reconnect and the announcer mentioned Kum is in his 3rd year as a Bill and had 2 catches last year. Then, Keanu fumbles. 

Edited by Refugee

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Don't know if it's still the case, but Soldier Field turf was "cared for" by the Park and Rec Dept. Enough said

Owned and operated by the Chicago Park District,

Several writers and columnists attacked the Soldier Field renovation project as an aesthetic, political and financial nightmare. The project received mixed reviews within the architecture community, with criticism from civic and preservation groups.[27] Prominent architect and native Chicagoan Stanley Tigerman called it "a fiasco".[28] Chicago Tribune architecture critic Blair Kamin dubbed it the "Eyesore on the Lake Shore",[29][30][31] while others called it "Monstrosity on the Midway" or "Mistake by the Lake".[32] The renovation was described by some as if "a spaceship landed on the stadium".[33][34] Lohan responded:

"I would never say that Soldier Field is an architectural landmark. Nobody has copied it; nobody has learned from it. People like it for nostalgic reasons. They remember the games and parades and tractor pulls and veterans' affairs they've seen there over the years. I wouldn't do this if it were the Parthenon. But this isn't the Parthenon."[28]

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Probably should have drafted 3 straight Georgia players....🤔

I suspect the reason they didn't has a lot to do with the lack of veteran presence in the WR room.  At the time of the draft, the only WR on the roster who was under contract for 2023 was Amari Rodgers.

The Steelers, being not in that position, were the perfect landing spot for him.

43 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If there was a veteran in the locker room (aside from Randall Cobb), maybe you feel better about that personality.

I mean you think the Steelers felt good about Dionte Johnson and Chase Claypool showing leadership? 

Having met Watson at TC, I see can why the Packers would love him, beyond his combine results. Great dude. He's "Packer People" and then some. Just hope he has that alpha personality on the field that Pickens appears to have.

• Like 1