NFL News & Notes

Leader

35 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Exactly!  Let’s look at this closer.  We know Rodgers is above average intellectually and that he’s driven by perfection - he demands it of himself and those around him.  Add on the weight of being the highest paid player in the world and thinking to yourself everyday that you have to go out and prove yourself over and over again that you’re worthy - so you think you have to be solution to all of the vagaries around you.  Add on to that the knowledge that your body isn’t as stable/strong as it used to be, that you have trust issues (with coaches, players, schemes), and you can see yourself regressing but are unable to pull back because your salary and your ego dictate that you must be the solution!

All of this just adds up to a mental and psychological instability - a Petri dish for dysfunction to ferment.  I’ve said it in here before that I think he needs a sports psychologist to work these issue out.  

Let’s use golf as an analogy.  Some of the greatest players in the game, with the best mechanics and confidence, go through slumps/yips, which can mentally destroy confidence.  If you’re standing over your ball with any doubt at all, there’s a significant chance you’ll miss the shot.  You won’t miss all of them (plug Rodgers in here), but that lack of self confidence - that doubt - will make it more likely for you to miss.  Confidence is everything.  You might doubt your physical capabilities, even if they aren’t a material issue, and BAM - you’ve just manifested enough doubt to being prone to mistakes.

Maybe Rodgers is doubting his knee will hold up, or that his collarbone has affected his throwing motion, when in fact they aren’t a material factor but a mental one?  He’s got some work to do for sure, and much of it is in his confidence and in his head, in my opinion.

Sports psychology is nothing new. I hope the Packers get Aaron to consider seeing one. 

Woody Johnson should write McCarthy a blank check as compensation for the iffy GM situation. I think that's the main source of apprehension with the jets job. But I could see McCarthy bringing the jets into the playoffs in two years. The jets desperately need culture and a coach who knows the offensive side of the ball. 

https://clutchpoints.com/jets-rumors-mike-mccarthy-very-high-on-list-of-head-coaching-candidates/

“If Mike McCarthy decides that he wants to jump right in a coaching this could be a landing spot for him. If he’s not at the top of the Jets’ list, I’m told that he is very high up there. They love the work that he did with the Green Bay Packers offensively,” Mike Garafolo said on NFL Network.

Edited by Howler

3 minutes ago, Howler said:

He will have problems with the press there. They are certainly more preying

FIFY

I think I like NY Jets fans because they are almost always someone else's problem. I loved their presence at the old NFL drafts in the 80's and 90's.

Stubby vs NY press would be very entertaining.

Edited by blueswedeshoes

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

FIFY

I think I like NY Jets fans because they are almost always someone else's problem. I loved their presence at the old NFL drafts in the 80's and 90's.

Stubby vs NY press would be very entertaining.

Bellichick almost wound up there. That would have been TV magic! 

On 12/18/2018 at 7:55 AM, Howler said:

Woody Johnson should write McCarthy a blank check as compensation for the iffy GM situation. I think that's the main source of apprehension with the jets job. But I could see McCarthy bringing the jets into the playoffs in two years. The jets desperately need culture and a coach who knows the offensive side of the ball. 

MM + Reggie McKenzie = HC + GM package deal

Profit. 

5 hours ago, Golfman said:

Josh Gordon suspended again and he said he's seeking help for mental health issues. If you are one who prays, might be a good kid to pray for. He's got some major issues with inner demons and I hope he gets the help he needs. 

It's a sad story. 

If that's true he must be done in the NFL right? I'm thinking this was the last shot anyway. Hopefully he actually gets some help.

On 12/18/2018 at 10:55 AM, Howler said:

https://clutchpoints.com/jets-rumors-mike-mccarthy-very-high-on-list-of-head-coaching-candidates/

“If Mike McCarthy decides that he wants to jump right in a coaching this could be a landing spot for him. If he’s not at the top of the Jets’ list, I’m told that he is very high up there. They love the work that he did with the Green Bay Packers offensively,” Mike Garafolo said on NFL Network.

I just can't see MM wanting to live in New York, but who knows. Stranger things have happened in this league. I still think he takes a season off, and waits for Pittsburg to open up. :D

Edited by Toddfather
  • Like 1

WR Demaryius Thomas turns 31 tomorrow.
He just suffered a torn Achilles - so you've gotta figure 2019 is gone to rehab.
He's under contract to HOU next year for 14M and it appears theres no dead cap if they cut him. 

Question - you think he's got a future in the league?

3 hours ago, Leader said:

WR Demaryius Thomas turns 31 tomorrow.
He just suffered a torn Achilles - so you've gotta figure 2019 is gone to rehab.
He's under contract to HOU next year for 14M and it appears theres no dead cap if they cut him. 

Question - you think he's got a future in the league?

No, he's on his last leg.  Seriously .. he's on the end of career death spiral.