NFL News & Notes

Leader

From ESPN:

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers intend to bring back quarterback Jameis Winston as their starter for the 2019 season, league sources told ESPN. Despite his suspension this season and some inconsistent play, the Buccaneers believe that Winston is the right man for the job and the right quarterback to get behind, according to sources. Jameis Winston said he has "learned a lot" from Dirk Koetter since they started working together during his rookie season and, despite their uncertain futures, they're focused on winning. Winston is only 24 years old, he's due to make $20 million next season, and the Bucs don't think they could get anyone who is better than the former No. 1 overall pick.

Edited by Leader

Jason La Canfora‏:

Cardinals were willing to give Mike McCarthy full authority over coaching and personnel. He is not interested.

Ross Uglem:

I think he probably has a deal in place to be the next coach in Cleveland.

Edited by Leader

^That and the interest John Harbaugh is generating will make me forever dislike Murphy for firing McCarthy instead of just sticking with him and dangling him in a trade. 

John Harbaugh is generating first round pick buzz.  MULTIPLE first round pick buzz. 

If McCarthy could have gotten us a 2nd (and I fully believe he could have considering what the Cardinals have already allegedly offered), it was a stupid, impulsive, idiot decision to fire him. 

You can't convince me that if Harbaugh is generating trade talk after three straight missed playoffs that McCarthy couldn't have generated at least a second round pick. 

6 hours ago, Leader said:

Jason La Canfora‏:

Cardinals were willing to give Mike McCarthy full authority over coaching and personnel. He is not interested.

Ross Uglem:

I think he probably has a deal in place to be the next coach in Cleveland.

If I am running CLE, I'd keep the existing staff.  They have been a different team since firing Hue.  Were I a CLE fan, I would not be very happy to see them ditch this staff for Mac.