NFL News & Notes

Leader

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

That could very well be - but I dont think terms of the previous contract follow him thru waivers. Could be wrong - dont study or research such things - but I thinks that correct.

I believe if you claim someone on waivers you also claim the contract but also get the rights. Waiting till they clear also clears the contract. 

34 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Dolphins, Browns, Bills, Panthers, Eagles, Chiefs, Redskins, Rams, Seahawks.  Niners tried.  Nine teams have made a player trade this season.

Packers haven't made a trade that would show up on an ESPN ticker since... When? 

Meant to make a new post with this. 

8 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I thought anyone released who was under contract had to pass through waivers for 24 hours?

6 hours ago, Leader said:

That could very well be - but I dont think terms of the previous contract follow him thru waivers. Could be wrong - dont study or research such things - but I thinks that correct.

There are no waivers in the offseason for vested veterans.  After the trade deadline and during the season, even vested veterans are subject to waivers (a la Marty B).

Pretty rare for teams to cut non-vested veterans in this part of the season because typically the moves are made for cap reasons, and only vested veterans have cap saving potential.

Young-ish players also have trade value due to their cheap contracts, which is prompting some trades of mediocre/low end guys in addition to the higher profile trades.  E.g. the Torrey Smith compensation for the eagles.

• Like 1