NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The sad part is that if Rodgers really was a deciding factor for FA's, GB would have landed OBJ and probably won that SB.

I've zero doubt AR and others on the team were communicating with OBJ: Come on down!
I think his target was always LAX (if fits his life hand to glove) and media reports GB was in the mix / leading the pack were misleading. Do I know that? No.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've zero doubt AR and others on the team were communicating with OBJ: Come on down!
I think his target was always LAX (if fits his life hand to glove) and media reports GB was in the mix / leading the pack were misleading. Do I know that? No.

I'm just referring to the idea that Rodgers believes he is an effective recruiting tool for FA's.

That Campbell tweet was not my favorite thing to read this week. I really don't want to move MLF because I think he's done fine with the offense, and switching gears with Love is probably not in the best interest of GB. Gute to me is a top 5 gm in the league, I wonder though if Harbaugh or Belichek could recognize that and accept less involvement in the front office end.

That's not a good look for MLF though, and you kind of have to extrapolate to guys like Jaire in terms of how the PR of Barry is being handled internally.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I wandered into the Jets forum to see what their thoughts on the Rodgers comments were, but didn't find anything.  Wasn't a total waste because I did find this gem.

At least some of them seem to think Wilson has trade value.  Wow.

He is better than Rosen was, and I believe that he got traded around.  Trey Lance got some return as well.  I think we are looking at a salvage job.  If they can get a 5th or something for Wilson, it is better than straight cutting him.  I will never underestimate an NFL front office's cocksuredness when trying to reclaim a wasted asset.  THEY couldn't get anything out of him, but WE know what we are doing.  Sure you do...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He is better than Rosen was, and I believe that he got traded around.  Trey Lance got some return as well.  I think we are looking at a salvage job.  If they can get a 5th or something for Wilson, it is better than straight cutting him.  I will never underestimate an NFL front office's cocksuredness when trying to reclaim a wasted asset.  THEY couldn't get anything out of him, but WE know what we are doing.  Sure you do...

Rosen got traded for a RD2 and RD5.  No way in the world Wilson nets anything close to that.  Every GM in the league knows Wilson in done as a Jet, and I am guessing his 2024 contract is more than another team would want to pick up.

2 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

That Campbell tweet was not my favorite thing to read this week. I really don't want to move MLF because I think he's done fine with the offense, and switching gears with Love is probably not in the best interest of GB. Gute to me is a top 5 gm in the league, I wonder though if Harbaugh or Belichek could recognize that and accept less involvement in the front office end.

That's not a good look for MLF though, and you kind of have to extrapolate to guys like Jaire in terms of how the PR of Barry is being handled internally.  

1st it was Jaire not playing for 6 weeks due to his shoulder "injury". Then Rasul D said something about the defense and he was traded.  Now Campbell isn't happy what's going on within the defense.  The team is starting to fracture from within and it's all on Barry.  No wait, it's on MLF too as he retained Barry stupidly this year.  It's turning out to be a real train wreck for MLF and it's his doing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

1st it was Jaire not playing for 6 weeks due to his shoulder "injury". Then Rasul D said something about the defense and he was traded.  Now Campbell isn't happy what's going on within the defense.  The team is starting to fracture from within and it's all on Barry.  No wait, it's on MLF too as he retained Barry stupidly this year.  It's turning out to be a real train wreck for MLF and it's his doing.

Nah, its just 3 more weeks.  Making a move now wouldn't impact anything

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Nah, its just 3 more weeks.  Making a move now wouldn't impact anything

Tell that to his players who have no faith in him.  If Barry somehow pulls one out of his arse and they win the next 3 .. don't be so sure MLF has the balls to can him.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Kid never had a chance in NY.  If he was drafted and developed by the Packers bet he would have been good. Dunno a 5th I'd do it.  He'd still need to ride the pine for a year.  He's got talent.  Decent arm throws a pretty ball.  Good mobility and pocket awareness.  Got creamed behind that O-line.  No chance.  Or maybe he's just permantly ruined it happens.  The only place worse for a QB to be drafted is perhaps the Bears.  

Wouldn't mind having him as a back up QB to Love.  He's only 24.  Needs to grow some man hair get cheesed up a bit.  5.4 mil next year then a 5th year option which won't get picked up. We'd need to redo his contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Kid never had a chance in NY.  If he was drafted and developed by the Packers bet he would have been good. Dunno a 5th I'd do it.  He'd still need to ride the pine for a year.  He's got talent.  Decent arm throws a pretty ball.  Good mobility and pocket awareness.  Got creamed behind that O-line.  No chance.  Or maybe he's just permantly ruined it happens.  The only place worse for a QB to be drafted is perhaps the Bears.  

Wouldn't mind having him as a back up QB to Love.  He's only 24.  Needs to grow some man hair get cheesed up a bit.  5.4 mil next year then a 5th year option which won't get picked up. We'd need to redo his contract.

TBH, my favorite kind of back-up QB is like Matt Flynn.  I don't care if we get a comp pick, or develop the guy at all.  I want him to fit into the room and be Jordan's eyes from the sideline.  And he merely has to be competent if he plays.  From the little that we have seen, I am pretty confident that Clifford can be that type of guy.  

• Like 4

"That his plan is to play “at least’’ two more years with the Jets because he considers this one “a lost year’’ and he believes he’s got a lot more left in the tank.

Finally — and most importantly — that he stands strongly behind the Jets’ leadership of Douglas, Saleh and offensive coordinator/bestie Nathaniel Hackett despite the fact the Jets have produced 13 offensive TDs in 14 games.

This last point is the most significant, because it’s confirmation (without actual confirmation from the team owner) that, despite the understandable outrage from fans for the 5-9 record and inability to survive the Rodgers injury and at least contend the way other teams in the league have after losing their respective starting quarterbacks (see the 9-5 Browns, 8-6 Bengals, 8-6 Colts and 7-7 Vikings), the Jets will be running it back in 2024 with the same leaders.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/19/sports/aaron-rodgers-opinion-is-only-one-that-matters-to-jets/