NFL News & Notes

Leader

21 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I like that it compensates teams for developing talent that they lose at the coaching/FO levels.  Having success is such a catalyst in the NFL for having your group poached. 

Recouping some value for the effort you put into building a successful group is important.

But only if that talent isn't a white male. It's a ridiculous rule and gets into the nuance of race and the different definitions based on who you speak to. For example

-Niners got 2 3rd round picks for Saleh. Saleh is Lebanese. Arabs are classified as White by the US Consensus yet considered a minority by the NFL

-Italians being considered white is a new development. Sicilians are some of the most mixed blood in the world with European, Moorish, African etc blood. Yet they do not classify as a minority by the NFL

So if you don't look like a typical Western/Central European male, then you're considered a minority in the eyes of the NFL. But then there's Mike McDaniel...

NFL should leave race politics out of hiring process. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Cant go too hard on this cause a bunch of folks passed on the guy....but the tidbits I've heard about the Carolina FO....it's been a dysfunctional place. Maybe that'll change.

Frankly, this sounds made up 

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

Frankly, this sounds made up 

Remember in the mid 2000s when someone would interview Ron Wolf and he always seemed to know which guys the Packers should have picked 3 years prior?  I buy this about as much as I bought Ron's post retirement GMing.  

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 2:11 PM, Brit Pack said:

I was just thinking about Eliot Wolf the other day and what he is up to and apparently he will be the non-GM GM for the Pats and bringing Alonzo Highsmith with him. Good for them both!

Interesting remembering that media speculation was kinda 50-50 between Wolf and Gute when TT stepped down, maybe almost more speculation towards Wolf than Gute at first.    

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

2 third place votes for LaFleur. Who had no pro bowlers. Who had a 1st year starting QB. And the youngest team to ever win a playoff game.

2 third place votes.

Lol awards are silly nonsense.

Let's see...
-The winner coached the Browns to the playoffs, which given the Factory of Sadness rep should be an automatic podium finish. Doubly so if you drag a near-40-year-old Joe Flacco out of retirement to wrap up the season.
-2nd place took the Texans from 2nd worst team to a shocking Playoff Dark Horse.
-3rd place took the F*CKING LIONS to the NFC Championship.
-After that you had expected dominance from the 49ers and Ravens, solid recovery from the Rams, a few "please don't call me racist" votes in Jeff Fisher 2.0- sorry, Tomlin... and a little interest in a surprising reclaimation job by the Colts.

Yeah, Packers ain't the sexy pick for stuff like this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Let's see...
-The winner coached the Browns to the playoffs, which given the Factory of Sadness rep should be an automatic podium finish. Doubly so if you drag a near-40-year-old Joe Flacco out of retirement to wrap up the season.
-2nd place took the Texans from 2nd worst team to a shocking Playoff Dark Horse.
-3rd place took the F*CKING LIONS to the NFC Championship.
-After that you had expected dominance from the 49ers and Ravens, solid recovery from the Rams, a few "please don't call me racist" votes in Jeff Fisher 2.0- sorry, Tomlin... and a little interest in a surprising reclaimation job by the Colts.

Yeah, Packers ain't the sexy pick for stuff like this.

Oh i get it.

Im not enough of a homer to think Matt shouldve won.. to not be above Steichen, McVay... that's just super silly.

"Team struggles early in year with young players, turns into an actual contender and takes a super bowl contender to the limit. With apparently ZERO star talent, on the back of the Head Coaches offensive system while trying to right the defensive ineptitude"

Sounds like a pretty amazing coaching job if you ask me. GB does a trash job at playing hype man for sure. Not sexy, no, but surely worthy of being mentiong in the TOP 5 coaching jobs of the year.

enough on that though. who actually cares about these awards, theyre just silly circle jerks.

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

yea LaFleur wasn't deserving of the award. but he should have received more love from the voters 

He should be ahead of Tomlin. Probably some biased fans involved in that situation.

Either way he wasn't deserving in the top 3. If Packers played consistent in the first half, we are probably looking at him in the top 3 of most deserving.

Former Packers Julius Peppers and Steve McMichael voted into the HOF.

Thought this quote from McMichael was a pretty funny.

According to the Chicago Tribune, this is what McMichael had to say about his time in Green Bay: “For 13 years, I helped the Bears beat the Packers every year. I whupped their ***, right? So the last year, I went up there on my last leg and I wasn’t any good anymore. So I stole their money and whipped their *** again!”