NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Leader said:

ProFootballTalk -   Legendary lineman Larry Allen dies at 52.

It's pretty amazing watching Larry Allen improve as his career went on. 

That isn't to say he wasn't a monster pretty much immediately, but when he was younger, a lot of it was him going "Okay, you're lower than me, and you won the hand battle. Now what? You're still not strong enough to actually win here". 

When he started getting his hands on guys consistently, his film improved from dominant to hilarious at times. 

4 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

... it's hard to find evidence that having a superstar WR is one of the keys to winning Super Bowls.

Think of the great, truly great (HOF lock),  WRs in recent NFL history and very few of them have really consistently put their team over the top, despite being absolutely amazing players....Rice was maybe the last, with 3 championships; since him....Moss? 0. TO? 0? Bruce/Holt? 1. Harrison/Wayne? 1. Megatron? 0. Jones? 0. Fitzgerald did all he could during Arizona's run in '09 but they still came up short. 

vegas rebutted this but he had a list of decent/good WRs, like Evans/Godwin in TB. Obviously you need SOME talent at WR (unless you have Mahomes) but "A GREAT WR IS OUR MISSING PIECE" just doesn't seem to work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That isn't to say he wasn't a monster pretty much immediately, but when he was younger, a lot of it was him going "Okay, you're lower than me, and you won the hand battle. Now what? You're still not strong enough to actually win here". 

When he started getting his hands on guys consistently, his film improved from dominant to hilarious at times. 

I remember the game on Monday Night (I believe it was MNF) when his QB threw what looked like a pick six and Allen chased the dude down and made the tackle. 

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It made Reggie tossing him aside add to his legend. Allen was young at that time and not really comfortable on the edge but Reggie tossed a giant aside with perfect timing and unnatural power. Allen moved inside and gained technique to become the prototype at guard. RIP, big man. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I remember the game on Monday Night (I believe it was MNF) when his QB threw what looked like a pick six and Allen chased the dude down and made the tackle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

My first thought when I read Larry Allen passed was, "I remember him. That dude was HUGE." He was 6'3" 325. Crazy how things change over 30 years. 

Some guys carry it differently, Reggie himself was 6’5 listed at 291 although I’m sure he played heavier later in his career. No question players have gotten bigger, it was pretty rare to see lineman over 6’4 and now the NFL has them everywhere. There are guys playing at higher ht/wt these days but in no context is 6’3 325 not a giant unless maybe they’re standing next to Andre. 

• Like 2

Pretty wild reading about CMC resetting the RB market at 19M AAV a day after Jefferson signs a deal that's twice as long at 35M AAV

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff WriterJun 4, 2024, 01:32 PM ET

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Reigning Offensive Player of the Year Christian McCaffrey once again has reset the running back market, signing a two-year extension with the San Francisco 49ers averaging $19 million per year, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

McCaffrey will receive an additional $8 million over what he was scheduled to make in 2024 and 2025 while adding $24 million in guarantees. The deal was negotiated by WME Football.

I think we can find a way to keep two of our current WRs while turning over the room. I think Wicks, and Reed. I don't know if we keep both Kraft and Musgrave. It's no knock on the position or the players it's about what you want on the field most of the time. I think it ends up being Musgrave we resign, but it's so early. It's also been proven why I am not a GM many times. Just my thought process on the matter.

19 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I think we can find a way to keep two of our current WRs while turning over the room. I think Wicks, and Reed. I don't know if we keep both Kraft and Musgrave. It's no knock on the position or the players it's about what you want on the field most of the time. I think it ends up being Musgrave we resign, but it's so early. It's also been proven why I am not a GM many times. Just my thought process on the matter.

You pay Watson.  I think you pay one of Doubs and Wicks, and you probably pay Reed.  Keep churning the bottom guys, and when you decide not to pay one of these top 4, then you take another relatively early WR.

TEs seem to be pretty affordable.  Kraft is currently the 50th highest paid TE, at ~1.4 per.  The 20th TE makes 6 million per. 

We keep panicking over the future cost of these players, but if they all sign for top 10 money, then we had an outlandishly good offense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You pay Watson.  I think you pay one of Doubs and Wicks, and you probably pay Reed.  Keep churning the bottom guys, and when you decide not to pay one of these top 4, then you take another relatively early WR.

TEs seem to be pretty affordable.  Kraft is currently the 50th highest paid TE, at ~1.4 per.  The 20th TE makes 6 million per. 

We keep panicking over the future cost of these players, but if they all sign for top 10 money, then we had an outlandishly good offense.

agreed on the TE.  pay them as the draft class is less consistent with replacements vs what WR typically has on a yearly basis.  add to that the cost savings on TE vs WR