NFL News & Notes

Leader

11 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Interesting. I live Philbin but I wish MM could have found a way to bring someone in from LA/Philly/ect too to help with the new playbook

If anything else I like what they are saying. Hopefully it translates on the field. I'm worried we will end up with the same WR ISO routes but now they are called things like "Razer" formation. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

If anything else I like what they are saying. Hopefully it translates on the field. I'm worried we will end up with the same WR ISO routes but now they are called things like "Razer" formation. 

Yes - screw those iso routes that have led us to be a top 10 offense 9 out of 12 seasons as head coach

• Like 1

Just now, SpeightTheVillain said:

Yes - screw those iso routes that have led us to be a top 10 offense 9 out of 12 seasons as head coach

With a QB as talented as Rodgers (or Favre) and receivers like Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Cobb, Finley and a franchise left tackle in practically all the years, McCarthy probably should have had top 5 offenses in 9/12 seasons.  The only ones he should be excused for are Aaron's first year and the 2015 season when Thompson replaced Nelson with 59-year-old Jones. 

You cannot deny that our offense had become incredibly stale and predictable.  The 2016 offense was Rodgers making something out of nothing by scrambling. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

With a QB as talented as Rodgers (or Favre) and receivers like Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Cobb, Finley and a franchise left tackle in practically all the years, McCarthy probably should have had top 5 offenses in 9/12 seasons.  The only ones he should be excused for are Aaron's first year and the 2015 season when Thompson replaced Nelson with 59-year-old Jones. 

You cannot deny that our offense had become incredibly stale and predictable.  The 2016 offense was Rodgers making something out of nothing by scrambling. 

to be fair and 2013 where Rodgers missed 8 games and this year

15 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

The iso routes were probably fine when GB had much more receiver talent, but now it's more prudent to scheme these guys open.

22 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I think ISO routes are fine when your playing average to below average defenses but I think ISO routes really struggle against good defenses more than timing focused offenses. 

13 minutes ago, Kepler said:

The iso routes were probably fine when GB had much more receiver talent, but now it's more prudent to scheme these guys open.

Not sure about the WR side of the coin, but the addition of Jimmy Graham might mean more Y - ISO routes next season

Here's an article from SI talking about it, mentions Graham in Seattle too

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/07/13/nfl-tight-end-use-travis-kelce-rob-gronkowski-greg-olsen

“It’s hard to pinpoint who exactly innovated it here in the last five years, but most teams that have a tight end with some athletic ability will do it,” says Greg Cosell, executive producer of ESPN’s NFL Matchup produced by NFL Films. “It’s a big part of the NFL now.”

The Y ISO isn’t a cure-all for what ails stagnant offenses, but it can be an outlet for a talented tight end to showcase his all-around skills and a big asset for quarterbacks. If Travis Kelce and the next generation of game-changing tight ends have their way, you’ll be seeing a lot more of it."

Helps the QB quickly diagnose the defensive calls and opens up some options in the run game too

"McCarthy said the Packers were planning to use Randall in a hybrid role that catered more to his particular skill set moving forward. That Randall had played so much corner during his first three years was born more of necessity than proper fit, with injury woes and the presence of established veterans Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix funneling Randall to the perimeter. “We were going to play him in more of a safety/nickel type role,” McCarthy said. “I think that’s his natural position. I think we all recognize that. Him playing as much corner for us was the best thing for our defense at the time, with Morgan and Ha Ha and really utilizing the players the best way we can"

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/03/27/mike-mccarthy-says-damarious-randalls-departure-best-thing-all/462054002/

49 minutes ago, Leader said:

The new catch rule is the law of the land.

We'll see how it works. On one hand, there will be more catches, but that 3rd step or stretching the ball for gain counting as catch will mean WRs will have to be real careful about not fumbling it. 

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

Obviously. Hopefully its been simplified and "catches" wont continue to be subject to microscopic study.

Keep it simple.

The only problem I envision is that it can get ticky tacky with 3rd step/stretch plus lose control -> fumbles. Would shift the discussion from catch vs incomplete to incomplete vs fumble.

Dunno how common those will be, but I'd instruct my DBs to go for the ball even harder than before whenever a receiver stretches or catches off balance.