NFL News & Notes

Leader

Have we talked about how disastrous this NFL targeting rule is going to be? The rule has is a complete joke in college football in the way it is enforced and how it impacts a game (mandatory ejections). The rule currently provides for a 15-yard penalty when a "player lowers his head to 'initiate and make contact' with his helmet against an opponent." So any time a player lowers his head in any way to hit a player anywhere on his body, technically you have targeting. Apparently at the May meetings they are going to discuss the issue of mandatory ejections as well, similar to college...yikes. Let's hope that doesn't pass.

Recently, I saw someone had broken down the film of an NFL game last year under this new rule and found over 20 would-be "targeting" penalties in one half, lol.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Have we talked about how disastrous this NFL targeting rule is going to be? The rule has is a complete joke in college football in the way it is enforced and how it impacts a game (mandatory ejections). The rule currently provides for a 15-yard penalty when a "player lowers his head to 'initiate and make contact' with his helmet against an opponent." So any time a player lowers his head in any way to hit a player anywhere on his body, technically you have targeting. Apparently at the May meetings they are going to discuss the issue of mandatory ejections as well, similar to college...yikes. Let's hope that doesn't pass.

Recently, I saw someone had broken down the film of an NFL game last year under this new rule and found over 20 would-be "targeting" penalties in one half, lol.

I think it'll very much become an on the field judgement call - with the refs singing the tune the league mandates.

I think Davante would have been involved in two incidents last year - the CHI and CAR games when he got speared helmet to helmet.

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If this is the rule I hope it’s reviewed before it’s enforced. I like the college rule but this is much different and too subjective to the refs feeling that day. A rule with this much riding in it needs to be clear and concise and should probably be ruled on from a booth. The NFL should buzz down whenever this penalty could have possibly occurred like a review inside two minutes.

As for the Adams hits what if he lowered his helmet? Too many questions for this rule there should be no question at all.

Edited by Reaper

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just not allowed to run up the middle I guess. Running backs lower their head to initiate contact pretty much every run. 

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just not allowed to run up the middle I guess. Running backs lower their head to initiate contact pretty much every run. 

That's the first thing I thought. Do RBs get to lower their head when making contact and if so what the hell does the defender do? 

2 hours ago, Reaper said:

If this is the rule I hope it’s reviewed before it’s enforced. I like the college rule but this is much different and too subjective to the refs feeling that day. A rule with this much riding in it needs to be clear and concise and should probably be ruled on from a booth. The NFL should buzz down whenever this penalty could have possibly occurred like a review inside two minutes.

As for the Adams hits what if he lowered his helmet? Too many questions for this rule there should be no question at all.

No, no, no.....no, no. Please lets not add YET ANOTHER "lets go to the tape" stoppage. My goodness are we ever going to get back to simply playing the game (?) which is already  slowing down to a crawl what with all these reviews and replays.

As for the hits Adams endured - they were both spearing IMO. The CHI LB caught Adams dead on in the face (this one looked really nasty) as he was stopped and being held up by other tacklers. That whistle should have blown - but I'm unsure if the CHI LB could have stopped his momentum - and the CAR LB (Davis I believe it was) tried to put his helmet into Adams earhole blocking after a Hundley Special just got served up. Both were instances of dead on helmet to helmet contact initiated by the defender. Cut and dried IMO.

36 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is the play at 1:02 a penalty on Eddie Lacy?

Man, I guess it would be. It's close though isn't it? He got in there with mostly shoulder. I guess I'll reserve judgement until I see how tight they call it, if it gets ticky tack I'm going to be pretty bummed.

54 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is the play at 1:02 a penalty on Eddie Lacy?

No. He simply lowered his shoulder and delivered a blow to the defender - with his shoulder.

I believe the intent of the rule is to prevent spearing - which most often is a defensive penalty.

Add on edit: I dont believe the intent of the rule is to cause RBs / WRs to maintain an "upright" stance at all times. That would prove hazardous to their health :)

Edited by Leader

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

No. He simply lowered his shoulder and delivered a blow to the defender - with his shoulder.

I believe the intent of the rule is to prevent spearing - which most often is a defensive penalty.

Add on edit: I dont believe the intent of the rule is to cause RBs / WRs to maintain an "upright" stance at all times. That would prove hazardous to their health :)

He lowered his head and is looking straight at the ground. He also initiated contact with his head. You can make the argument he's trying to lead with his shoulder, but if you're going to kill DBs for this, it's only fair to hit the offense too. Which is the crux of the issue. 

44 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He lowered his head and is looking straight at the ground. He also initiated contact with his head. You can make the argument he's trying to lead with his shoulder, but if you're going to kill DBs for this, it's only fair to hit the offense too. Which is the crux of the issue. 

He didnt hit him with his head. He hit him with his left shoulder and in order to do that he has to lower the shoulder - and since the head is attached, it comes with it.

Again - we'll see how it plays out on the field, but I suspect the intent it to prevent defensive spearing - which is far more prevalent (and potentially damaging) than RBs / WRs trying to avoid a tackle by hitting a defender with their head. It doesnt really do much good.

Edited by Leader