NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Going to be a hell of a lot harder to replace Kevin King and Bahk than it is Aaron Jones.

The Packers have had a solid 20 year run at LT with Clifton/ Bakh, can't say the same thing about RB
The Packers won a Super Bowl with (2) UDFA's starting at corner

Premiums are indeed much harder to find, are more valuable and cost more - but again- Packers history does not support your comment above
If its so easy to replace Jones, then why did he just set the RB record for TDs, a record that stood since Jim Taylor 50 years ago ?

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

My apologies if I wasn't clear.  Yes, my total comp for him would be about $20M over 3 years.  With 10-12M guaranteed.

I agree, he shouldn't take under 7, but.....he's got injury risk and risk of limited production.  What happens if some of his goalline TD are eaten by Williams?  Or if Rodgers throws more TD's?  That's some nice guaranteed money for a running back.

Age wise...he's not a workhorse.  And shouldn't be moving forward.  28 should still make him attractive as a free agent.  But I do get where you are coming from.

I love Aaron Jones, but I'm not paying a RB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

If King plays less than 1/2 the games this year then yes, it clearly would affect his market value. He plays them all and well, he's going to get paid. He's going to be 25. I'd give him a nice payday to extend now and take my chances. 

We differ there, too.  King's injury risk scares me a ton.  

Just now, vegas492 said:

We differ there, too.  King's injury risk scares me a ton.  

You take bigger risks at positions of higher value with talent. All good though! It's good to have differing opinions and discussions on points of view. 

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I love Aaron Jones, but I'm not paying a RB. 

Not saying I would either, but an extension makes more sense if the club wanted to keep him around.

I'd love a tag/trade scenario, but I can't remember the last time a RB got a tag and was traded.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Not saying I would either, but an extension makes more sense if the club wanted to keep him around.

I'd love a tag/trade scenario, but I can't remember the last time a RB got a tag and was traded.

I never said anything about tagging him because I would never consider that. I said if he threatens to hold out, meaning this year, I'd trade him immediately. 

Just now, Golfman said:

You take bigger risks at positions of higher value with talent. All good though! It's good to have differing opinions and discussions on points of view. 

Don't get me wrong...big time King fan here.

But his injury history is scary.  

And if I'm being fair, I thought he showed more as a healthy rookie than he did last year.  More consistent.  And...that could have been in part due to scheme.

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I never said anything about tagging him because I would never consider that. I said if he threatens to hold out, meaning this year, I'd trade him immediately. 

I only brought it up because it came to my mind, had nothing to do with what you posted.

I'd be all for a tag and trade, but again, I just can't recall that ever happening to a running back.

Not really sure what I'd do if he threatened a hold out.

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats the way of the world. Top talent goes to the bottom feeders.
The "good" bottom feeders put a decent organization together...make a few years of good decisions...and get off the bottom.

I think Miami can do this with Flores. I like the moves he's made so far, but hope he doesn't trade up. He can still get a decent QB at 5.

46 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Let's play the game, what did the top 13 Rushers in the NFL make in 2019?

1. Derrick Henry - 1.7 million

2. Nick Chubb - .91 million

3. Christian McCaffrey - 2.1 million

4. Ezekiel Elliott - 8.2 million

5. Chris Carson - .65 million

6. Lamar Jackson - 2.5 million

7. Leonard Fournette - 7.4 million

8. Josh Jacobs - 2.2 million

9. Joe Mixon - 1.5 million

10. Dalvin Cook - 1.7 million

11. Marlon Mack - .75 million

12. Aaron Jones - .70 million

13. Carlos Hyde - 1.8 million

Yes, let's play a game... the game of where those top rushers were drafted.
I don't have the time to go through all of them - but it would seem that the majority of them are 1st and 2nd rounders and several of them are top 10 picks in the entire draft.

• Like 1

Most teams have between six and nine players earning significantly more than $5m pa. If you have a Mahomes on the team (ie a first contract QB) you can afford more than a team with $30m+ pa sunk into their QB (which was what @Outpost31 has harped on about for ages).  The Packers have spent the big bucks at premium positions (QB, pass rushers, offensive tackles no.1 WR and (soon) NT.

While there are certain higher paid positions on the Packers that are not premium spots (like Linsley and Turner) that look like good targets to find cheaper options (meaning probably in the draft), there is still very little room for tying up $14m at the RB position unless you want to let go a future second contract on (for example) Alexander, Savage, Jenkins, King. I'd say a good RB is easier to find than at most other positions.

It all means that many fans get conflicted. Most, if not all of us love what Jones has done - it makes it very tough to see a good player let go, whatever the justification.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I don't have the time to go through all of them - but it would seem that the majority of them are 1st and 2nd rounders and several of them are top 10 picks in the entire draft.

And what they all are......without any doubt whatsoever.....is on somebody else's roster!

Again - we dont want to pay AJ. Fine. Get his replacement on the roster. Replace the production - not - at single season record levels - but not back to the sameo/sameo kinda production we've been getting from the position.

I'd consider the one year tag if we CANT get that production on the roster before he's gone.

With AR facing growing challenges.....if we want to maintain our level of success....we're gonna need the same (if not more) from the RB position.

24 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Packers finish in yards/attempt:

2019: 14th

2018: 2nd

2017: 5th

2016: 8th

2015: 13th

2014: 11th

2013: 4th

The problem during the McCarthy has never been the running game, it's the refusal to use the running game. 

• Like 1