Joe Thomas Retirement Watch & Why Drafting an OT at # 4 is Pure Insanity

Mind Character

In the last 6 years, I can't remember being as disgusted as I am this year about the Offensive Tackle draft talent pool.

I went in all excited after hearing about Connor Williams and Orlando Brown, but now having watched 11 tackles, I came away thinking that I've never been more thrilled that we don't need a LT as there are none available via Free Agency and the draft prospects are worse with serious limitations.

With Joe Thomas seemingly relaxing in to his post playing days, the bad news is that we may need one.

Joe Thomas may indeed retire this offseason. He's enjoying having a top podcast and he's lost tons of weight.

Even if he does...the absolute worst draft scenario is one where we spend the # 4 pick on an OLineman to force the selection on a need when the current crop of OTs are mostly garbage and 2nd rounders at best that will be pushed into the 1st round based on need.

To pass on Minkah, Saquon, or Chubb to panic fill a need would take us back to past eras of draft incompetent after recently having a good one.

PLEASE my fellow FFers...don't start mocking Orlando Brown or Connor Williams at 4 to us...

Watch more than 2 games of those guys.

I was down on Mike McGlinchey toward draft season last year, but he is the only 1st round OT talent this year. Even still, he's bottom half of the first round material and b/c he's at a premium position that means he's worth taking somewhere in the second half of the 1st round.

Orlando Brown is a 3rd round prospect that lacks the feet, and contact balance to excel at the position. He's massive but he's one of the worst waist benders I've seen in years and will be eaten alive by the bull rush in the pros as his pad level is terrible and he doesn't understand leverage. He also struggles with speed rushers tremendously. OKlahoma's scheme protected him as the ball got out before he gave up a sack tons of times on the film. In a less quick game offense, he'd be thought of as saloon door and a QBs worst friend.

Connor Williams is overrted and plays with little strength and constantly oversets or undersets to negative effect. He's a mid second early 3rd round pick at best, and he's better suited to play guard. At guard, he has the chance to be really good,

I went back and really watched Kolton Miller's game closely, and I misevaluated him orignally. I thought he had a chance to be one of the better OTs in the draft, but upon further review of more games he is consantly playing on skates, lets less talented DEs get under his pad level and push him around. His foot work is as sloppy as it gets at times, and he lacks the functional strength and hip flexibility to excel at the position. He's a 3rd or 4th rounder in my mind now.

Or, door #17, realize that we have one of the GOAT LT and haven't done anything during his illustrious 10 year career, so we could probably be fine with an average LT for a while so long as the QB position is figured out. After that, we should draft a cornerstone to protect said franchise QB.

3 minutes ago, cattleman78 said:

I think free agency will have a lot to do with Joe playing. If we sign Cousins I think he will likely play. Draft may have something to do with it also.

Free agency, perhaps, but I can’t see Thomas waiting until after the draft and free agency to decide.

That would put them (the team/FO) in a bind potentially and based on what he’s shown the last decade, he’d want to do things the right way.

From what I have read, his main concern is his health.  Even if he is on the fence now, he will have the itch to come back.  He is a competitor, I can't see him standing on the sidelines when he knows he can still be one of the top tackles in the game.  I think he comes back until at least the 2020 season, unless he gets injured again then he may hang them up. 

My heart will break if he retires. I'm sure I have worn out more jerseys with his name on the back than he has. (I'm kidding but I have gone through my fair share of Thomas jerseys). As for drafting an heir apparent for Thomas... This draft has a really good OT class. It also has a ton of skilled talented on both sides of the ball. There is a great chance we can just sit back at #33 an get one of the better linemen in the draft. Or if we fall in love with one, trade up into the first and get one of the best. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I can't see JT going out on a 0-16 season 

that'd be giving up 

he's not that kind of guy

I think he'll agree to come back, but if we are winless or hopeless he'll ask for a trade. 

Get a 5th back for a playoff team and send JT off the right way if we're not a competitive team 

I have a feeling this is a big reason why Hue was retained. Thomas was interviewed awhile ago and it sounded like he would retire if Hue wasn’t back. He said he didn’t think he’d want to play for yet another regime. My bet is he’s back. 

5 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I have a feeling this is a big reason why Hue was retained. Thomas was interviewed awhile ago and it sounded like he would retire if Hue wasn’t back. He said he didn’t think he’d want to play for yet another regime. My bet is he’s back. 

This gives me mixed feelings about JT.

He has been our best player since we came back, for sure,  but if his coming back is a reason why we are stuck with Hueball, then....

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2018 at 4:11 AM, Mind Character said:

In the last 6 years, I can't remember being as disgusted as I am this year about the Offensive Tackle draft talent pool.

I went in all excited after hearing about Connor Williams and Orlando Brown, but now having watched 11 tackles, I came away thinking that I've never been more thrilled that we don't need a LT as there are none available via Free Agency and the draft prospects are worse with serious limitations.

With Joe Thomas seemingly relaxing in to his post playing days, the bad news is that we may need one.

Joe Thomas may indeed retire this offseason. He's enjoying having a top podcast and he's lost tons of weight.

Even if he does...the absolute worst draft scenario is one where we spend the # 4 pick on an OLineman to force the selection on a need when the current crop of OTs are mostly garbage and 2nd rounders at best that will be pushed into the 1st round based on need.

To pass on Minkah, Saquon, or Chubb to panic fill a need would take us back to past eras of draft incompetent after recently having a good one.

PLEASE my fellow FFers...don't start mocking Orlando Brown or Connor Williams at 4 to us...

I was down on Mike McGlinchey toward draft season last year, but he is the only 1st round OT talent this year. Even still, he's bottom half of the first round material and b/c he's at a premium position that means he's worth taking somewhere in the second half of the 1st round.

Orlando Brown is a 3rd round prospect at best but likely really only worth a 6th rnd pick up s he that lacks the feet, and contact balance to excel at the position. He's massive but he's one of the worst waist benders I've seen in years and will be eaten alive by the bull rush in the pros as his pad level is terrible and he doesn't understand leverage. He also struggles with speed rushers tremendously. OKlahoma's scheme protected him as the ball got out before he gave up a sack tons of times on the film. In a less quick game offense, he'd be thought of as saloon door and a QBs worst friend.

Connor Williams is overrted and plays with little strength and constantly oversets or undersets to negative effect. He's a mid second early 3rd round pick at best, and he's better suited to play guard. At guard, he has the chance to be really good,

I went back and really watched Kolton Miller's game closely, and I misevaluated him orignally. I thought he had a chance to be one of the better OTs in the draft, but upon further review of more games he is consantly playing on skates, lets less talented DEs get under his pad level and push him around. His foot work is as sloppy as it gets at times, and he lacks the functional strength and hip flexibility to excel at the position. He's a 3rd or 4th rounder in my mind now.

I still don't feel like Joe is coming back especially since his vocabulary interviews and on the recent Thomahawk show seems to be distancing himself from the Browns as he says things like "the Browns did well with these trades," "their offense is looking a lot better," instead of using we or we're.

I dont think the trades move the needle for him to come back, and I'd expect a retirement announcement to come on Monday.

If he does come back itd be a la Favre where he'd skip all of camp.

Even if Joe retires I dont want to see mocks with us taking shots or rollimg the dice on LTs in the 2nd as beyond Mcglinchey none of them are really starters and wont be BPA.

Make a trade ot sign a stop gap vet.

...And for the love of all things good, please no more Orlandp Brown in the 1st or 2nd mocks....please someone watch a couple games of his first and just ask yourself what the outcome of each snap would be if Oklahoma didnt get the ball out so fast.

I'vr said it from the beginning he's a 5th round talent off film alone without ever seeing te combine.

On 1/18/2018 at 4:11 AM, Mind Character said:

Orlando Brown is a 3rd round prospect that lacks the feet, and contact balance to excel at the position. He's massive but he's one of the worst waist benders I've seen in years and will be eaten alive by the bull rush in the pros as his pad level is terrible and he doesn't understand leverage. He also struggles with speed rushers tremendously. OKlahoma's scheme protected him as the ball got out before he gave up a sack tons of times on the film. In a less quick game offense, he'd be thought of as saloon door and a QBs worst friend.

I agree, this year's LT prospect are pretty weak, none approach a #4 overall pick. From what I have seen Connor Williams will be a middle of the pack 1st round selection and with his feet, he has a shot to be OK as a LT, but I do not see a star. He had a very nice Combine.

None of the other guys will IMO, be 1st rounders!

I have had Thomas' retirement on my mind since much earlier and thought perhaps the #4 pick might have to be used on one to protect our new QB, but I guess we will either have to be very lucky with a later pick or just have to wait till next year's draft.

Archived