Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

I really like the USL restructuring. It makes things much more organized and might even set us up for a promotion/relegation system between the lower leagues. Now there are 4 different levels of Pro soccer:

Division 1 - MLS - 23 teams (26 by 2020)

Division 2 - USL Championship - 33 teams

Division 3 - USL League 1 (new league) - 10 teams (projected 20-25 by 2020)

Division 4 - USL League 2 (formerly PDL)- 74 teams

There is also the National Premier Soccer League which has 94 teams and is pretty much equal to USL League 2.

Starting up a Division 3 league that has USL support is huge. Formerly the only potential Division 3 leagues would have been NASL or NISA which are both pretty much dead.

47 minutes ago, RpMc said:

What would like a package from a team like Miami to look like? They have some intriguing assets Josh Richardson and Justice Winslow - vets like Dragic and Waiters - draft picks.

When I went to the Heat-Timberwolves preseason game here in KC a couple of years ago, Dragic was, by far, the most impressive player on the court.  I personally would love to have his shot in the Wolves' backcourt, but there isn't much else on that roster I'd be interested in that would make any sense for them.  Do they have any draft picks?  

10 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Had he been able to stay at catcher he'd be a shoe in. Not so sure now after his time at first.

Agreed. He was a generational catcher, but a mediocre first baseman.  IF he makes it, it will be based on his time as a catcher.

It was good to see him with the gear on again. He's definitely a Twins great.

He may have been a mediocre 1B offensively in terms of power numbers, but not defensively. Still has 3 batting titles an AL MVP award, 6 all-star games and 3 gold gloves to his name.

Baseball Reference has some HOF metrics. Joe is pretty close to two of them.

Hall of Fame Monitor: Batting - 92 (193), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards: Batting - 41 (153), Average HOFer ≈ 50

Edited by Klomp

I mean, I think I'd say that Mauer should probably be a HoF because of his time at catcher and how no one has been all that close to him. That said, I don't know that he'll get in. I would think had he even kept the batting average up, he'd be a HoF. I suspect he'll retire because I don't know the Twins will resign him, and I don't believe he'd play anywhere else, especially with young kids.

Twins' HOFer?  Shoo-in.  Cooperstown HOFer?  No.  I just don't think he was great enough for long enough.  And even if that's not enough for you, his numbers don't anywhere near stack up.  15 years and barely over 2000 hits?  Only 3 gold gloves (all coming as a C) and only 6 AS appearances?  I highly doubt he even makes the 5% necessary to stay on the ballot beyond the first year he's eligible.