Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Talk about cherry picking! If college sports went away, I'd be good with that.

For some, that's likely the best route for them to improve themselves in life, so I'm fine with it, for the most part.  There certainly has been a level of exploitation though, which needs to be remedied.  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 12:21 PM, PrplChilPill said:

Also,I hope the regents never invest big in sports. College should be about education. 

The U of M athletics department raises about $30M per year for the rest of the University, not including the $3.5M in tuition assistance to student athletes.

For any major University, the football program is one of their biggest funding sources, not an expense. 

source: https://gophersports.com/documents/2019/2/1/NCAA_Online_Report_FINAAL_1_11_19.pdf

10 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The U of M athletics department raises about $30M per year for the rest of the University, not including the $3.5M in tuition assistance to student athletes.

For any major University, the football program is one of their biggest funding sources, not an expense. 

source: https://gophersports.com/documents/2019/2/1/NCAA_Online_Report_FINAAL_1_11_19.pdf

Which has nothing to do with my post......

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Why? Genuinely interested in a sound argument in favor of this.

Because college should be about, college. The US is the only nation with college sports like this, rather than, you know, college being about learning and education. There are plenty of other ways to help people that maybe otherwise wouldn't get to go, if there weren't sports. Every minute leadership spends on sports is a minute they aren't spending on other parts of the system. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Because college should be about, college. The US is the only nation with college sports like this, rather than, you know, college being about learning and education. There are plenty of other ways to help people that maybe otherwise wouldn't get to go, if there weren't sports. Every minute leadership spends on sports is a minute they aren't spending on other parts of the system. 

How do you feel about high school sports

31 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

This is getting way off topic, so I can take it to a DM if you/others would prefer, but I don't think that being the only country that does something is necessarily a reason to get rid of it. I also question your notion of what "college" is. I think that there is intrinsic value in collegiate athletics across the board from NAIA to D1, swimming to football.

Your view on this topic seems pretty narrow and straw man-ish to me. Suggesting that any institution that supports an athletics department is doing a disservice to the education of the student body isn't fair, IMO. College is more than academics. It's about a transition to adulthood, it's about learning life/social skills, it's about developing a sense of loyalty/belonging. Getting rid of collegiate athletics does nothing to support those endeavors. 

I 1000% agree that the NCAA is one of the shadiest, dirty organizations in America, and has been exploiting students for years. I think that fixing that problem is a worthwhile goal in order to preserve the benefits that college athletics provide to the student body.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

How do you feel about high school sports

In TX, where football is a way of life? Not so good. I view HS sports differently, because those students are still in HS for HS (at least they should be)....whereas in college sports? Big time college sports is a year round activity, taking hours every day......

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

In TX, where football is a way of life? Not so good. I view HS sports differently, because those students are still in HS for HS (at least they should be)....whereas in college sports? Big time college sports is a year round activity, taking hours every day......

Other countries do not have high school sports just like they don't have college sports.

I think it is great for kids to have extracurricular activities to give them something to do and keep them out of trouble. Whether the school system should be involved could be grounds for debate but I have no problem with it being through the schools in both school and college.  Education ought to include more than math and science.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Other countries do not have high school sports just like they don't have college sports.

I think it is great for kids to have extracurricular activities to give them something to do and keep them out of trouble. Whether the school system should be involved could be grounds for debate but I have no problem with it being through the schools in both school and college.  Education ought to include more than math and science.

I'm all for recreational sports on campus, but that's a totally different thing. And no place did I say only math and science. I'd love more money for arts (which, you know, could come if HS didn't lose money on sports). They literally are not the same thing, college sports and other HS or recreational sports.

4 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I do think high school sports are a good thing but yeah it can be a bit much sometimes. Every around here sports are taking more and more of the year with different camps and leagues

Edited by vikesfan89