Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Fleck's agent leaks that he's being considered at Florida State to get an extension in MN.

For the Twins, shame that neither of them panned out. Kohl Stewart was the one I had more hope for. But he was also the one who had Tommy John, which is getting more likely that they can round back into form, but not always.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Fleck's agent leaks that he's being considered at Florida State to get an extension in MN.

For the Twins, shame that neither of them panned out. Kohl Stewart was the one I had more hope for. But he was also the one who had Tommy John, which is getting more likely that they can round back into form, but not always.

Nice job by Fleck's agent.

I personally think they were already planning on giving the extension prior to any leak about Florida State...and it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that he'd be considered for any opening that comes up, including USC. I'm just more interested to see where his salary will fall in the Big Ten...I wouldn't be surprised to see him get up close to #5.  He ain't gonna get Harbaugh money, but his salary should be more than what Purdue gave Brohm.

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

I personally think they were already planning on giving the extension prior to any leak about Florida State...and it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that he'd be considered for any opening that comes up, including USC. I'm just more interested to see where his salary will fall in the Big Ten...I wouldn't be surprised to see him get up close to #5.  He ain't gonna get Harbaugh money, but his salary should be more than what Purdue gave Brohm.

I hope he has a huge buyout. Big enough to turn away teams like FSU and USC. I know they aren't afraid to blow money (Taggert) but I'd like for them to think twice about it.

I’m not really worried about Fleck leaving. Maybe I’m wrong, but when I listen to him, I don’t get the read that he’s using Minnesota as a stepping stone. 

Obviously if a perennial top 5 program came calling, it might change. But Fleck comes off as a guy who’s more interested in being the coach who turns a program like Minnesota into a perennial top 10 type program, and building a program with a long term culture. Rather than moving his “row the boat” culture from school to school every few years. 

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not really worried about Fleck leaving. Maybe I’m wrong, but when I listen to him, I don’t get the read that he’s using Minnesota as a stepping stone. 

Obviously if a perennial top 5 program came calling, it might change. But Fleck comes off as a guy who’s more interested in being the coach who turns a program like Minnesota into a perennial top 10 type program, and building a program with a long term culture. Rather than moving his “row the boat” culture from school to school every few years. 

I think that's probably the case, but had USC, for example, come knocking, or FSU, both of those programs have been in a rough patch, and while I'm not sure about this year Fleck would have left, once he felt like he had MN in a decent spot, he'd probably want the next project and both of those would be a step up as well.

In other news, Wild with a come from behind road win last night. That was odd for them.

19 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I think that's probably the case, but had USC, for example, come knocking, or FSU, both of those programs have been in a rough patch, and while I'm not sure about this year Fleck would have left, once he felt like he had MN in a decent spot, he'd probably want the next project and both of those would be a step up as well

But I can’t really see either of those programs adopting his “row the boat” culture. Especially USC. 

30 minutes ago, Klomp said:

This may be a bit hot takey, but I can see Fleck doing for Minnesota what Dabo Swinney has done for Clemson. A decade ago, most people probably viewed Clemson as a stepping-stone job too. Not anymore.

I think there’s a lot of work to do before Minnesota is that type of job. But I like where your head is at. 

35 minutes ago, Klomp said:

This may be a bit hot takey, but I can see Fleck doing for Minnesota what Dabo Swinney has done for Clemson. A decade ago, most people probably viewed Clemson as a stepping-stone job too. Not anymore.

That would involve Minnesota getting to (and staying) at the same level as Ohio State. A top-10 program. Do you really think that is possible in Minnesota?

21 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

That would involve Minnesota getting to (and staying) at the same level as Ohio State. A top-10 program. Do you really think that is possible in Minnesota?

I've always thought it's possible, but it takes a commitment from the Regents to make it happen, and thus far, they've been hesitant to make that kind of financial commitment...something to which Glen Mason has complained about for a couple of decades now.  Now, they were probably right to not invest that kind of money when Glen was the head coach, because he was nowhere near the recruiter than Fleck is, but now, in Fleck, they have a guy who can recruit as well, if not better than, Brewster, but seems to be able to coach as well as Mason.  Now they just need to continue to invest in him and his program, and he can return the favor.  No, they may not have the campus atmosphere of Tuscaloosa, Madison or Iowa City, but it does have it's selling points.