Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

If you want to watch something ...interesting... the US Mens National Team is playing a World Cup Qualifying game against Honduras tonight at 6:30 Central on FS1. In Minnesota. Outdoors.

Kickoff wind chill will be around -20. 

Just moronic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

If you want to watch something ...interesting... the US Mens National Team is playing a World Cup Qualifying game against Honduras tonight at 6:30 Central on FS1. In Minnesota. Outdoors.

Kickoff wind chill will be around -20. 

Just moronic.

What? That can't be real. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, SotanKing said:

Timberwolves are looking good and exciting. A very young team that has been playing really well after a slow start to the season

Let's hope that they can make themselves relevant from here on out, so I can pay better attention.  😉

It would also help if a team like the Pelicans would be able to move here to KC, so we can get better coverage of the sport.  Right now, it's all Chiefs (and sometimes the Royals when they're relevant)...I'd like something else to pay attention to.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Let's hope that they can make themselves relevant from here on out, so I can pay better attention.  😉

It would also help if a team like the Pelicans would be able to move here to KC, so we can get better coverage of the sport.  Right now, it's all Chiefs (and sometimes the Royals when they're relevant)...I'd like something else to pay attention to.

I think they will start getting more attention if they will do well in playoffs. They have had very few national games this season. Also if Anthony Edwards keeps improving like how he has so far in his 2 year career, Wolves will definitely start getting more attention in national media. Dude is extremely likeable and has the potential to become top5 player in the league.

Anthony Edwards is easily one of the best interviews and most likable guys in sports. However, he has to bring consistency to his game. He's disappeared in quite a few games this year. If he learns to work for his shots each and every night, he'll be special. 

Great win by the Loons tonight! The Red Bulls play so different from any other team, and the Loons looked really outmatched in the first 30 minutes, but to get the goal and then hold it on the road against an extreme high press like that is extremely impressive.

• Like 1

As a soccer fan this may be treason, but I believe it - salary caps make a better league. For the same reason that MLB is complete joke, same goes for every European soccer league. 

Obviously things are different in a sport that actually allows international competition (soccer), but things have also changed incomprehensibly since the Twins last won a World Series. 

The Twins will never again be  'competitive'. The Twins are the equivalent to Everton or Crystal Palace (on a good year). They are allowed to exist to prop up the profits of the big clubs. They aren't actual competition. 

The entire current sports world is just a marketing creation to sell jerseys and TV/streaming packages, and is 90% of that is driven by the stars. The rest of the league/players are just people to play against.

1M people care of the Twins are good. 10x that number care if Aaron Judge does well. 100x that many people care if the Yankees are good.

Messi and Ronaldo (the most successful and influential athletes in the world) make more from their Instagram accounts than they do from their $100M+ contracts. Players are bought and sold based on how many followers they bring, not on their ability to win a title. 

Baseball needs to change, or just lean into the same format that the Premiere League, La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A, and Bundesliga follow - acknowledge the 'super clubs' reign supreme.

• Like 1