Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Are there any decent bullpen arms in the Minors that they can pull up for the postseason?

Not really. I'm thinking they will convert Keuchel/Maeda/Varland into pen arms and go with Gray, Lopez, Ryan, and Ober for the starting rotation. I only say Maeda because he's done it successfully before.

On 8/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, JDBrocks said:

Feels more real now for some reason. Honestly, it's all health. A future infield of Lewis, Lee, Correa, and Kirilloff should be solid defensively, and will move Julien to DH. Larnach, Buxton (if he can play CF again 🥴) and Wallner feels like a good outfield, and Jeffers feels like he gets better the more he plays. That's a strong lineup top to bottom if healthy.

It appears that you got your wish as Buxton is in center. 

As far as your comments on the NBA in another post, that's fine if you enjoy that type of basketball (as far as I'm concerned, I don't care about the "scientific support", load management is still nonsense as it takes away from the fan experience...which is the whole reason NBA players even exist...for entertainment purposes). 

I don't enjoy games that just involve dunking and 3-pt shooting...just as I don't enjoy baseball games that encompass strikeouts and HRs.  The art of the pull-up jump shot is gone.  I certainly don't doubt that the players are far more skilled, but that doesn't necessarily make it a more entertaining game.  Baseball players are far more skilled in many areas too, but that doesn't make the HR/K game more entertaining. 

It makes it one-dimensional, which is what the NBA is getting to...it's why I sort of enjoy the tactic that the Wolves are doing in trying the Twin Towers method, because it's something different.  The 80s and 90s (80s moreso than the 90s) version of basketball was just more entertaining because you had more styles of play going on, from the Showtime Lakers to the Rough and Tumble Pistons to the Pick N Roll Jazz to the fundamentally sound Celtics. 

It's nothing I need to "get over", because I understand what you're referring to, it's just not as entertaining to me. 

27 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's nothing I need to "get over", because I understand what you're referring to, it's just not as entertaining to me. 

"not as entertaining" is a lot different than accusing players of not trying hard...

If you don't know about the different systems that NBA teams run and have effectively lumped the entire league into "shoot 3s and dunk" offenses, I can only conclude that you don't watch the league and have made up your mind about what you think the game should look like. Like, you can't watch the current Warriors, Bucks, Celtics, and Mavericks and come away thinking they are doing the same thing.

16 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

"not as entertaining" is a lot different than accusing players of not trying hard...

If you don't know about the different systems that NBA teams run and have effectively lumped the entire league into "shoot 3s and dunk" offenses, I can only conclude that you don't watch the league and have made up your mind about what you think the game should look like. Like, you can't watch the current Warriors, Bucks, Celtics, and Mavericks and come away thinking they are doing the same thing.

That's fair.  I can admit I don't follow it as closely as I used to...partially because I live in an area without the NBA (although it probably should since the Jayhawks are just a half hour away) and partially because I enjoyed the personalities along with the styles of play.  While the skill has gone up, there has also been a lot lost along the way, in the ways of simple fundamental basketball.  I still appreciate it when I do see it, as that's what I grew up on (my grandfather used to play pickup games with many players on the Minneapolis Lakers back in the 40s and 50s when he was the star player on a local semi-pro team).  I also like seeing some of the more team-oriented basketball coming back.  I really hate individual-oriented basketball with one star player who scores 50+ pts and then everyone else with 10 pts or less. 

The Showtime Lakers were my favorite team of all-time because they had a bunch of stars, but they played together as a team.  That had been lost for a good 20+ yrs and is now starting to finally come back across the league.  The Warriors are a good example of that...even if I despise how they got some of that...with Kahn's ineptitude.  The Spurs were always another.  I respected how they played.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Is it the Kirby Puckett curse?  Ever since he had the eye issue that ultimately ended his career, it seems that every single above-average Twin has had injury issues. 

Johan Santana is probably the last superstar I can think of that stayed healthy the vast majority of his tenure. Joe Nathan, maybe. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s always the star/good players that the Twins don’t pay. 

To their credit, they ponied up for Correa and Buxton. They've just busted this season. They've never paid for a top-tier ace though. Their pitching staff this season is probably the best they've had in decades, but it's missing that true #1 guy. Still, the depth is pretty impressive. Not sure that will help a lot in a short playoff series though.