Is Star Wars the most overrated film series?

Hunter2_1

i don’t think i know anybody who thinks that any star wars movie is actually a genuinely great film, outside of maybe empire. and everyone knows the prequels were trash. so i don’t think overrated is necessarily the right word

I think that there is some thought that it is overrated because they have such a nostalgic fan base, since even those of us who didn't see the original trilogy in theaters, probably saw them quite young. Most people have a Star Wars memory at least remembering the feeling when they saw them the first time. They aren't great movies, but they've informed so much in terms of sci-fi. And even with that, the original trilogy are some of the most iconic and enjoyable movies out there and have clearly stood the test of time. Is the Star Wars Madness with oranges and bananas with Star Wars stickers on them? Yes, but I don't think that which helps build up the madness around it causes it to be overrated.

15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So it's pretty even with yes/no on here. Not sure that meme is appropriate, Jon Snow. Sorry, Stark. Who's your daddy, Jon? :D 

I honestly think it is. I don't see any logical reason Star Wars can be considered overrated as a film series, aside of that it may just not be someone's cup of tea. I'm not a Lord of the Rings fan, but if I take the time to look at them and see what others find compelling about it, it makes sense. Doesn't mean I consider it overrated, it just means I don't find the need to spend my time watching them.

Now if we are talking about the movies actually being great movies as stand alones, I get that, but as people have said before they aren't considered great movies. It is considered a great series, with an expanded, in-depth universe, and I don't see that as being up for debate. Star Wars has had a larger impact on the movie industry than any other film series by a longshot. Also, the most character arcs and development through the entire series are amazing. These movies feed off of the others, so it really isn't fair to put one of them under a microscope without considering the entire saga (which is one reason I can't stand the hate for TLJ, but that's for another time). So while you may not be a fan of Star Wars, it is definitely not overrated, much less that most overrated film series out there.

And no matter who's blood I have, Ned will always be my father. :) 

Ah, yet another "thing I don't like = over rated, things I do like = under rated" thread.  Disney bought the Star Wars universe for $4 BILLION and would still be making out like a bandit if they paid 3 times that much.  I think they're just fine with it.

I also guarantee all the fanboys who say they are swearing off star wars because they didn't like the narrative direction (to put it nicely) of TLJ will be right back in line for Ep 9.

18 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, out of 9 movies, only 3 seem to be really good (general consensus, obviously there are people who will disagree). The ratings reflect this.

However, Star Wars is renowned as an epic saga. Is it overrated? 

The ratings do not reflect that statement at all.

The epic saga entails A LOT MORE than just the 9 released theatrical films.  TV Shows, comics, books, video games, etc.  Get out of here.

56 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I also guarantee all the fanboys who say they are swearing off star wars because they didn't like the narrative direction (to put it nicely) of TLJ will be right back in line for Ep 9.

Not a chance.

They'll be at the FRONT of the line, buying tickets months in advance.

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I honestly think it is. I don't see any logical reason Star Wars can be considered overrated as a film series, aside of that it may just not be someone's cup of tea. I'm not a Lord of the Rings fan, but if I take the time to look at them and see what others find compelling about it, it makes sense. Doesn't mean I consider it overrated, it just means I don't find the need to spend my time watching them.

Now if we are talking about the movies actually being great movies as stand alones, I get that, but as people have said before they aren't considered great movies. It is considered a great series, with an expanded, in-depth universe, and I don't see that as being up for debate. Star Wars has had a larger impact on the movie industry than any other film series by a longshot. Also, the most character arcs and development through the entire series are amazing. These movies feed off of the others, so it really isn't fair to put one of them under a microscope without considering the entire saga (which is one reason I can't stand the hate for TLJ, but that's for another time). So while you may not be a fan of Star Wars, it is definitely not overrated, much less that most overrated film series out there.

And no matter who's blood I have, Ned will always be my father. :) 

The universe and world is amazing. Like, literally amazing. It even accounts for trade, companies, languages (many of them), an economy etc etc

I was only referring to the movies, in terms of quality.

Ned > Rhaegar :D

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

The ratings do not reflect that statement at all.

The epic saga entails A LOT MORE than just the 9 released theatrical films.  TV Shows, comics, books, video games, etc.  Get out of here.

I specifically said "film".

The world and concept is amazing. 

Archived