Eagles vs Patriots SBLII GDT

Nabbs4u

22 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Oh I get it. They thought the E was stupid so they wanted to cut it off. Thank you brother

I do see your point though. In the promotional posts and images, the NFL could very easily put the Eagles logo on the right and the Patriots logo on the left

Here's how I see it. Eagles have a great defensive line and will have a strong pass rush. However, some of their key weaknesses in defense in the linebacker corp and a secondary that isn't super tight are going to allow Brady alot of leeway on the short passes that are his bread and butter. He's going to spam that to avoid the pressure and make the Eagles adjust so to open up the run and some bigger plays downfield. Also Gronk is a big mismatch for the Eagles here. 

On the otherside of the ball, I see the Patriots committing to stopping the run and keeping Foles in the pocket and forcing him into a pass game against New Englands secondary. If Foles can handle that he'll have success. But that side of the ball is going to pretty much have all their success tied to whether Foles can play superman. If so, expect a lightshow shootout. If not, I expect the Patriots to pull away with a comfortable lead. 

Either way, I believe this will be the most challenging game both teams play all year. Lot's of tests on both sides of the ball. 

5 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

I do see your point though. In the promotional posts and images, the NFL could very easily put the Eagles logo on the right and the Patriots logo on the left

Exactly. The fun little pissing contest aside (all tongue and cheek), it just looks better having both logos facing each other. It kind of looks weird. Also if you do it that way, you can fit the entire logo for both teams on the poster

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Here's how I see it. Eagles have a great defensive line and will have a strong pass rush. However, some of their key weaknesses in defense in the linebacker corp and a secondary that isn't super tight are going to allow Brady alot of leeway on the short passes that are his bread and butter. He's going to spam that to avoid the pressure and make the Eagles adjust so to open up the run and some bigger plays downfield. Also Gronk is a big mismatch for the Eagles here. 

On the otherside of the ball, I see the Patriots committing to stopping the run and keeping Foles in the pocket and forcing him into a pass game against New Englands secondary. If Foles can handle that he'll have success. But that side of the ball is going to pretty much have all their success tied to whether Foles can play superman. If so, expect a lightshow shootout. If not, I expect the Patriots to pull away with a comfortable lead. 

Either way, I believe this will be the most challenging game both teams play all year. Lot's of tests on both sides of the ball. 

I agree completely agree with your assessment of what the Pats will try to do to the Eagles. I disagree that the Eagles offense is going to need Foles to be superman in order to win. We will be able to run the football on your defense, even though you guys will absolutely be focused on stopping it. It is a question of if Foles can convert on third down and avoid turning the ball over imo. If he can do those two things, I see us putting up points in this game, not 38, but enough to win.

On defense it will come down to if our DBs can play disciplined enough to not get beat deep, while also not just getting gashed for 5 yards on short passes. That is where I am least confident in this team, if our DBs can play disciplined football for four quarters. I am sure the Pats will do everything they can to not allow our pass rush to get home, so it will be hard back there. I believe we stop the Pats running game well enough where it isn't a major problem, but I think Lewis and Co will get some decent yardage. It will be more about if we can get stops in the Redzone for our defense.

I posted something similar in another thread but it belongs here. Here's my thoughts on one way the Patriots might look to gameplan vs the Eagles

In general, NE's defense is known for removing the opposition's biggest threat making them play uncomfortable. I have a different idea on how the Patriots defense might gameplan vs the Eagles. My thoughts for this matchup will be, instead of trying to remove a certain player, they'll focus on muddling key offensive reads in certain concepts; RPO's to be exact.

For example: NE has recently been playing a 4-3 Even. A 4-3 defense is often defined by the alignment of the 3-tech according to the offensive formation strength: Over - he aligns to the formation's strongside, Under - he aligns to the fornation's weakside. In an Even you have on Over front but with the LBs stacked over the interior bubbles or open gaps.

Here's where the might differ in this matchup. In some cases, a good way to defend RPO's is to set your 3 tech to the fieldside (widest part of the field from the hash) with two overhang defenders. The reasoning for the 3tech alignment to the fieldside is that it gives the fieldside overhang defender (or whoever might be the stressed defender on your 2nd level) slightly more time to read w/ out having to overreact to the run or pass option. If that conflict defender stays put and doesn't press or drop, then the QB doesn't have a proper key read on what to do with the ball. Then possibly play either Cover 9, 9 Rat, or even 0 in the secondary. These coverages along with the front alignment described, clouds a QB's key reads in determining his run/pass option, allowing the 2nd level defenders to respect the run, while also providing underneath coverage to take away the interior routes that are often used in RPO's.

I haven't scouted the Eagles in depth in that respect to see exactly which formations they run their RPO's from, so there's a bunch of different ways this could play out and multiple ways to defend different RPO's. But I do know from just watching the NFCCC game that the Eagles destroyed the Vikings with these concepts and I suspect that might be a primary goal and concept that the Patriots will look to defend.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Ok I'm just going to say it. The Patriots logo's face is facing to the right. The Eagles logo's face is facing to the left. Is it really that hard for the braintrusts in the NFL to switch which side each logo is on so they are facing each other. Does the marketing department in this league have any sense of artistic sensibilities. Like wtf. 

For Philly fans, this is like when that dude gave Rocky the wrong trunks in the banner at the Spectrum

It's not for you. It has meanings  and ritual of their own  desire.. I don't' know why either  but apparently they didnt feel the need to do it that way. They are doing it the right way..their right way 

Archived