Eagles vs Patriots SBLII GDT

Nabbs4u

9 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Neither did the Giants...

Do you know what the margin for error in those two Giants Super Bowls was? You could literally have played the first one 100 times and the Patriots probably win upwards of 90. The Giants had a perfect game plan and still needed the most improbable sequence of events to happen. Even the second one was razor thin. 

I love that people use those games as the formula to beat the Patriots when those were games where some of their most improbable losses in the Brady/Belichick run. 

Seriously use what the 09 Ravens did to blow them out or the 14 and 16 Chiefs. Or some of those Jets games in Rex's early years Or even some of the Miami wins. Like those were decisive wins that show ways to beat the Patriots. There are better examples of games to use as the blueprint to beat the Patriots. 

-sell out to stop the short midfield passes

- force Brady into high risk throws down the field where he is more likely to lead the receiver and force him to make a play. 

-have a strong interior run game where your offensive line has impeccable run blocking. 

-be creative with your pass coverages and keep changing them up so that Brady can't find a pattern. 

-force the Patriots to beat you on the long ball or on screen passes. 

10 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Also this Pats roster isnt nearly as good as those teams were.

Not better than '07 but definitely better than '11. The Pats' secondary in 2011 was held together with duct tape and the offensive skill positions were considerably weaker.

8 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This Eagles overall offense even with Foles is far more dynamic then either of those Giants offenses.

Also this Pats roster isnt nearly as good as those teams were.

Eli was superior in 2011. Also the the 2011 Patriots had a significantly worse defense. They were 15 in ppg and they had one of the worst secondaries in the league. Also on offense Gronk was injured and basically playing as a decoy. So no I really wouldn't say that's true for that game. 

2007 yes. But the Giants were the perfect match up for the Patriots that year and do you really want to bet on the amount of luck the Giants got in that game? 

11 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Do you know what the margin for error in those two Giants Super Bowls was? You could literally have played the first one 100 times and the Patriots probably win upwards of 90. The Giants had a perfect game plan and still needed the most improbable sequence of events to happen. Even the second one was razor thin. 

I love that people use those games as the formula to beat the Patriots when those were games where some of their most improbable losses in the Brady/Belichick run. 

Seriously use what the 09 Ravens did to blow them out or the 14 and 16 Chiefs. Or some of those Jets games in Rex's early years Or even some of the Miami wins. Like those were decisive wins that show ways to beat the Patriots. There are better examples of games to use as the blueprint to beat the Patriots. 

-sell out to stop the short midfield passes

- force Brady into high risk throws down the field where he is more likely to lead the receiver and force him to make a play. 

-have a strong interior run game where your offensive line has impeccable run blocking. 

-be creative with your pass coverages and keep changing them up so that Brady can't find a pattern. 

-force the Patriots to beat you on the long ball or on screen passes. 

That’s not the point and let’s just ignore the narrow margins and the luck the Patriots have gotten in their SBs. But I digress.

You said that Eagles has weaknesses in their LBing corps and secondaries whilst I and others have pointed out that first and foremost they aren’t really weaknesses. Secondly, Pats have gone up against the Giants with inferior LBers and similar secondary yet won. 

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

That’s not the point and let’s just ignore the narrow margins and the luck the Patriots have gotten in their SBs. But I digress.

You said that Eagles has weaknesses in their LBing corps and secondaries whilst I and others have pointed out that first and foremost they aren’t really weaknesses. Secondly, Pats have gone up against the Giants with inferior LBers and similar secondary yet won. 

Ok true. And for one of those games I would submit that the Patriots had a largely inferior defense and a downright awful secondary that contributed to the loss. The Eagles aren't facing a Patriots defense nearly as bad. 

For the first I would say the 07 Giants got very hot at the right time and they had personnel that matched up with the Patriots better than any team in the league. 

Yes the Patriots had narrow margins in those Super Bowls. But lets be honest, the best defense the Patriots ever played in a Super Bowl was Seattle and Brady largely sliced them up towards the end of that and if they lost it would have primarily been off of a defensive blunder. We just saw the Patriots beat probably the most complete defense in the league in Jacksonville. 

Not sure why the past even matters at this point. Totally different Pats team going against a totally different opponent.

I'm expecting a slow start by the Pats offense, with the Eagles jumping ahead in the 1st half and the Pats making a 2nd half run for a thrilling finish. 

Pretty much business as usual.

This Eagles team is easily the most complete team the Pats have seen this season though. Their defense is top notch and their offense has a bunch of weapons. 

Patricia is going to have to prepare a great gameplan.

21 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Ok true. And for one of those games I would submit that the Patriots had a largely inferior defense and a downright awful secondary that contributed to the loss. The Eagles aren't facing a Patriots defense nearly as bad. 

For the first I would say the 07 Giants got very hot at the right time and they had personnel that matched up with the Patriots better than any team in the league. 

Yes the Patriots had narrow margins in those Super Bowls. But lets be honest, the best defense the Patriots ever played in a Super Bowl was Seattle and Brady largely sliced them up towards the end of that and if they lost it would have primarily been off of a defensive blunder. We just saw the Patriots beat probably the most complete defense in the league in Jacksonville. 

You mean an injury riddled Seattle secondary that you beat?

and a Jags team /defense that dominated most of the game and were playing against a cautious and risk averse offense. Sure. 

Patd aren’t facing a running game and an o-line this good. 

You mean an injury riddled Seattle secondary that you beat?

and a Jags team /defense that dominated most of the game and were playing against a cautious and risk averse offense. 

Yeah I mean those teams, those teams still had far better defensive play than the Eagles team this year or either of the two Giants teams. I don't even think that should be controversial. 

Just now, lancerman said:

Yeah I mean those teams, those teams still had far better defensive play than the Eagles team this year or either of the two Giants teams. I don't even think that should be controversial. 

it really isnt. them broncos/seahawks/ravens defenses that brady has shredded were on a different level.

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Eagles defense is amongst the best in the league and the past two games have shown it. Just because you eventually found a way to move the ball on the Jags don’t mean it will apply vs Eagles. One of the key reasons is that the pass rush wore down. Eagles have the rotation the Jags don’t.

Just now, Asciimo said:

it really isnt. them broncos/seahawks/ravens defenses that brady has shredded were on a different level.

I think the thing that's just funny to me is that people bring up the 07Giants/11Giants/15Broncos as the formula to beat the Patriots. One of those was completely different (11 Giants) and in reality there are so many other teams that have more decisively showed how to beat the Patriots as opposed to teams that really just kept them in close games and had the fortune to have a few breaks go their way. 

The Chiefs in 14 and 17 both obliterated the Patriots in the games they played. Nobody is saying copy that. The Dolphins beat them in 14, 15, and 17 both had rock solid games against the Patriots. Nobody is saying copy that.

Eagles defense is amongst the best in the league and the past two games have shown it. Just because you eventually found a way to move the ball on the Jags don’t mean it will apply vs Eagles. One of the key reasons is that the pass rush wore down. Eagles have the rotation the Jags don’t.

The Eagles have a very good defense. I'm not disputing that. But the Jags were a more talented defense at every level. Maybe you could say the Eagles have more depth on the line, but that's about it. I'd take the Jags top talent on the line, their LB's and CB's over the Eagles. The Jags were carried to a conference title game by their defense. The Eagles absolutely were not. 

Likewise what would you say if I told you that from October on the Patriots have been the best team in ppg in the league? The Patriots defense is no slouch and Brady's not going to crap the bed  like Keenum did.

Archived