Jump to content
Heimdallr

Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The thing is, Kaep doesn't expect to start. He isn't even being offered a shot to compete as a backup. He'd be a perfect backup in Baltimore or Houston. Bottom line - his talent alone should put him on a roster. He's probably in the top 50% of QBs from a talent perspective. The fact that the NFL would rather let guys like Tyreek Hill, Pacman Jones, Richie Incognito, etc. continue to play shows you that it's about money, not about the product.

Why would it be about anything other than money? NFL teams are for profit, that’s the goal. Winning usually doesn’t impact profit for an individual team given that owners share profits.

Tebow isn’t on a roster either, he was probably more talented than many backups who had jobs too. I think Kaep may share the same issue Tebow had, it’s hard for a coach to want to bring in a backup who is going to get more attention than a typical backup deserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Tebow isn’t on a roster either, he was probably more talented than many backups who had jobs too. 

This has to be a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I just don't agree with this, I never saw him as very good. Borderline starter/backup at his peak in my opinion. 

Regardless of the media baggage, with not having played in so long I think he would have a hard time making a roster.

The guy is 4-2 in the playoffs, and fell just short of a Superbowl comeback win. Do you think that Sean Mannion, AJ McCarron, Matt Barkley, Trevor Siemian, or Joe Webb were ever capable of that in their career? 

I do think that being out of the league hurts him, but he's definitely more talented than most NFL backups right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The thing is, Kaep doesn't expect to start. He isn't even being offered a shot to compete as a backup. He'd be a perfect backup in Baltimore or Houston. Bottom line - his talent alone should put him on a roster. He's probably in the top 50% of QBs from a talent perspective. The fact that the NFL would rather let guys like Tyreek Hill, Pacman Jones, Richie Incognito, etc. continue to play shows you that it's about money, not about the product.

Kaepernick was a** when he played. The fact that he is given a private workout, something they never do for anyone else, is a joke. All he had to do was be even moderately intelligent with what avenues were offered to him by the NFL. He thought he was above the NFL and now he's paying for it. He had to do things his way... He doesn't seem to really want to be in the NFL and his actions recently prove that. 

The product would also be better off without Kaepernick. Not sure how that is your stance - Money or Product, Kaepernick just wasn't good enough when he left. Surely isn't good enough now. Was he even playing when he was exiled from the NFL?

The owners aren't running Kaepernick. Your unnecessary antics and problematic attitude make you useless to most franchises. They aren't running. They're ignoring you. I can't blame them, and I hope his whole circus dies down at some point so he can fade off into obscurity. He doesn't give a crap about anybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

He doesn't give a crap about anybody.

I'm pretty sure somebody doesn't tank their multi-million dollar career to take a stand for social justice if they don't give a crap about anybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I just don't agree with this, I never saw him as very good. Borderline starter/backup at his peak in my opinion. 

Regardless of the media baggage, with not having played in so long I think he would have a hard time making a roster.

Kaep was the best offensive player on a '49'er team that went to the Super Bowl, by far!  While he's 3 years out of football, he's also 3 years more mature...with a body that hasn't taken any abuse in 3 years.  In my opinion, the only reason he's not on a roster in the NFL is because NFL team owners are afraid of his activism.  But he is good enough to help a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

Kaepernick was a** when he played. The fact that he is given a private workout, something they never do for anyone else, is a joke. All he had to do was be even moderately intelligent with what avenues were offered to him by the NFL. He thought he was above the NFL and now he's paying for it. He had to do things his way... He doesn't seem to really want to be in the NFL and his actions recently prove that. 

The product would also be better off without Kaepernick. Not sure how that is your stance - Money or Product, Kaepernick just wasn't good enough when he left. Surely isn't good enough now. Was he even playing when he was exiled from the NFL?

The owners aren't running Kaepernick. Your unnecessary antics and problematic attitude make you useless to most franchises. They aren't running. They're ignoring you. I can't blame them, and I hope his whole circus dies down at some point so he can fade off into obscurity. He doesn't give a crap about anybody.

The only way for the circus to die down, in my opinion, is for a team to give him a shot.  Let's not forget that Kaep took the NFL owners to court and it was uncovered that there was, indeed, collusion among the ownership, to deny Kaep a position...not for his play...but for his politics.  They settled by giving Kaep a dump truck full of money.  If I were Colin Kaepernick, I think I would be paranoid regarding the good intent of the NFL too.  Let's remember, these owners are not Boy Scouts...they are businessmen...who couldn't give a fig leaf about fairness and integrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

The only way for the circus to die down, in my opinion, is for a team to give him a shot.  Let's not forget that Kaep took the NFL owners to court and it was uncovered that there was, indeed, collusion among the ownership, to deny Kaep a position...not for his play...but for his politics.  They settled by giving Kaep a dump truck full of money.  If I were Colin Kaepernick, I think I would be paranoid regarding the good intent of the NFL too.  Let's remember, these owners are not Boy Scouts...they are businessmen...who couldn't give a fig leaf about fairness and integrity.

Semantics, but Kaep did not take them to court. He used the league's arbitration process (likely a precondition to an actual lawsuit). We do not know if collusion was uncovered, but the owners did agree to a settlement. The terms of that settlement have not been disclosed, as the settlement almost certainly contains a non-disclosure agreement. However, it has been leaked by "sources within the NFL" that the settlement is likely between one million and ten million dollars. Even if not true, Kaepernick wouldn't be able to dispute it due to the NDA.

You are correct though, the circus would die if a team gave him a legitimate tryout. He either sinks or swims, but he does it on the field. 

Keeping Kaepernick out of the league is a financial decision at this point. The NFL believes it could cut into their bottom line. They also don't want the negative publicity that comes with being a target of a certain individual who likes to rant on Twitter. 

In my opinion, we are about one year (and an election) away from Kaepernick getting a real tryout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

Kaepernick was a** when he played. The fact that he is given a private workout, something they never do for anyone else, is a joke. All he had to do was be even moderately intelligent with what avenues were offered to him by the NFL. He thought he was above the NFL and now he's paying for it. He had to do things his way... He doesn't seem to really want to be in the NFL and his actions recently prove that. 

The product would also be better off without Kaepernick. Not sure how that is your stance - Money or Product, Kaepernick just wasn't good enough when he left. Surely isn't good enough now. Was he even playing when he was exiled from the NFL?

The owners aren't running Kaepernick. Your unnecessary antics and problematic attitude make you useless to most franchises. They aren't running. They're ignoring you. I can't blame them, and I hope his whole circus dies down at some point so he can fade off into obscurity. He doesn't give a crap about anybody.

Said like someone unwilling to look at more than one side of an argument. Others have echoed my sentiments already so I don't need to pile on, but this response reads like someone that hasn't considered anything other his own narrow view of a fairly complex situation. 

Ask yourself this. When has Matt Barkley, David Fales, or Chad Kelly ever shown anything close to what Kaep was able to do in the NFL? Why do those guys deserve to be on an NFL roster over Kaep, from a talent perspective?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he was a better QB I think he'd be on a team. If there was no drama with the same skill set I think he'd easily be in a team.

I don't think he's given up much as far as money goes though. He's sitting pretty good.

Didn't he where a shirt that said something about slavery though at the tryout? What could possibly be his reasoning for that if he "just wants to play". Even signing the waiver shouldn't been that bad if he truly wants to play imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Said like someone unwilling to look at more than one side of an argument. Others have echoed my sentiments already so I don't need to pile on, but this response reads like someone that hasn't considered anything other his own narrow view of a fairly complex situation. 

Ask yourself this. When has Matt Barkley, David Fales, or Chad Kelly ever shown anything close to what Kaep was able to do in the NFL? Why do those guys deserve to be on an NFL roster over Kaep, from a talent perspective?

Could ask the same about Tebow. You’d take those three over him, or whatever the equivalent of those three were when Tebow was pushed out of the league. 

I think the role of a backup QB is to not rock the boat. I think that’s why guys like Kaep and Tebow will get overlooked, their brand is bigger than what the on field output is as a backup.

RGIII is a great example of someone who changed their brand, he was the face of the franchise, got great sponsorship deals, he’s slid into place as a backup once injuries and lack of skill set caught up with him. You don’t see Nike or the media clamoring to get behind RGIII anymore. You’re just not going to get that bringing in a Kaep or Tebow as a backup, whether that’s fair or not.

Edited by vikingsrule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kaepernick was awful in his last season, as he even lost the starting job to Blaine Gabbert.  That tells you everything you need to know.  Yes, he is talented and deserved a chance to compete, but he was nothing better than a backup QB-level player in 2016.  He had regressed every season since the Super Bowl season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Kaepernick was awful in his last season, as he even lost the starting job to Blaine Gabbert.  That tells you everything you need to know.  Yes, he is talented and deserved a chance to compete, but he was nothing better than a backup QB-level player in 2016.  He had regressed every season since the Super Bowl season.  

Again, that's a nuanced topic and not an accurate representation of what happened in that last season. Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly with some of the worst rosters in the league isn't a great place to succeed. That's not really the point here though.

He doesn't expect to be a starter. He deserves an opportunity to compete for a roster spot based on talent alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Again, that's a nuanced topic and not an accurate representation of what happened in that last season. Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly with some of the worst rosters in the league isn't a great place to succeed. That's not really the point here though.

He doesn't expect to be a starter. He deserves an opportunity to compete for a roster spot based on talent alone.

He's been out of the league for 3 years and is going to bring drama via media. Not worth it for a backup QB.

Edited by TENINCH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Could ask the same about Tebow. You’d take those three over him, or whatever the equivalent of those three were when Tebow was pushed out of the league. 

I think the role of a backup QB is to not rock the boat. I think that’s why guys like Kaep and Tebow will get overlooked, their brand is bigger than what the on field output is as a backup.

Tebow was never a good QB. Ever.

He wasn't pushed out of the league and was given opportunities to make multiple rosters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×