Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

If you were worried about relying on Elflein, it must mean you wanted to bring someone in to back him up. And not a late round pick, because those are meaningless.

Why do you believe late round picks are meaningless?

And, to me the offensive line was a problem that should have been addressed in free agency, not via the draft. Did I say otherwise somewhere? Perhaps in the immediate aftermath of the draft I expressed concern that the team didn't do something to better address the offensive line but that would have only been because they already failed in free agency.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Why do you believe late round picks are meaningless?

And, to me the offensive line was a problem that should have been addressed in free agency, not via the draft. Did I say otherwise somewhere? Perhaps in the immediate aftermath of the draft I expressed concern that the team didn't do something to better address the offensive line but that would have only been because they already failed in free agency.

I don't think they are, but that seems to be the sentiment around here....and since you talked about the team not adequately addressing the OL, I figured you shared the sentiment.

The team has addressed the line in free agency. Did you see the list I posted? 10/16 linemen on the roster were signed in free agency the past two offseasons.

5 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I don't think they are, but that seems to be the sentiment around here....and since you talked about the team not adequately addressing the OL, I figured you shared the sentiment.

The team has addressed the line in free agency. Did you see the list I posted? 10/16 linemen on the roster were signed in free agency the past two offseasons.

Yeah, I saw that list. I am not in the camp that believes the team hasn't invested resources into the offensive line. I am in the camp that believes they didn't correctly invest resources into the offensive line to achieve an adequate result. My belief isn't only about this offseason. It is a longer term belief going back over 15 years. They haven't solved the problem that I have perceived in that time and therefore they haven't adequately addressed it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Anyone know what the compensation \ injury settlement would be for those guys Lang, Stanton?

That depends on the injury. I imaging their salaries are minimum deals. Worst case for the team is they pay the guys their minimum salaries for the full year.

5 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

That depends on the injury. I imaging their salaries are minimum deals. Worst case for the team is they pay the guys their minimum salaries for the full year.

Yes. To further expand on this, team’s work off of estimations of how many games the player will miss. If the player is supposed to miss 5 weeks, the team would pay them 5/17ths of their base salary to compensate them. Given the presumed injuries to Lang, Stanton, and Price, I would guess that all three would receive their full base salaries for the year. 

As part of these settlements, the teams often pay for surgery and treatment for the player, but the specific terms of each settlement are negotiated by the player/his representatives and the team. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Like who?

You are going to make me work lol.  At any rate, as a few examples, in the 2014 draft I wanted Gabe Jackson in the 3rd round and we picked Scott Crichton instead.  In the 2017 draft we selected Ben Gedeon in the 4th round when David Sharpe and Julie'n Davenport were available.  Don't know if those were the types of answers you were looking for or not?

22 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

You are going to make me work lol.  At any rate, as a few examples, in the 2014 draft I wanted Gabe Jackson in the 3rd round and we picked Scott Crichton instead.  In the 2017 draft we selected Ben Gedeon in the 4th round when David Sharpe and Julie'n Davenport were available.  Don't know if those were the types of answers you were looking for or not?

And are they any good? 

I can understand Crichton/Jackson, but a lot of that is hindsight, and even if it’s not, it’s just one example. 

Are Sharpe and/or Davenport any good? Sharpe is listed as a backup, and Davenport has been up and down this preseason. Plus, both players are tackles, which isn’t really where the Vikings are weak along the line. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

And are they any good? 

I can understand Crichton/Jackson, but a lot of that is hindsight, and even if it’s not, it’s just one example. 

Are Sharpe and/or Davenport any good? Sharpe is listed as a backup, and Davenport has been up and down this preseason. Plus, both players are tackles, which isn’t really where the Vikings are weak along the line. 

They are a few tangible examples in the past where I looked over highlight tapes and scouting reports of players prior to each draft, and thought they would be worthwhile picks at the time. Not that I am a pro scout or anything ha ha!

• Like 2