Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Interesting idea

I wrote just a couple pages back that the Vikings could convert some of Harrison Smith's salary into a signing bonus to open up cap space...

They can convert some of Smith’s 2019 salary into a bonus that is prorated for the remaining 3 years of the contract. That wouldn’t add any money to the deal. The effect would be to lower Smith’s cap hit in 2019, while increasing it in 2020 and 2021.

For instance, they could give Smith a $4.5M bonus plus $3.85M salary this year instead of the $8.35M salary he’s currently due. 

Instead of Smith converting $4.5M it was Kendricks converting $4.15M. 

Rudolph was never going to be traded just to make room for signing Bradbury. 

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

They did it with Eric Kendricks instead.

Kendricks is a good choice too.  I know someone here thought that the team wouldn't restructure a player a year after they just signed him. This is why I didn't bother to argue too much.  Everything has its time. The time for reality is has come for that person.  Just like the Eagles would restructure Lane Johnson and Bennett, the Vikings will choose players early in their contract to restructure.  The earlier, the better.  And the player will agree to do it because it is beneficial to the player too.

Edited by Cearbhall

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Kendricks is a good choice too.  I know someone here thought that the team wouldn't restructure a player a year after they just signed him. This is why I didn't bother to argue too much.  Everything has its time. The time for reality is has come for that person.  Just like the Eagles would restructure Lane Johnson and Bennett, the Vikings will choose players early in their contract to restructure.  The earlier, the better.  And the player will agree to do it because it is beneficial to the player too.

That was me...and yes, I was wrong...but I still think it's highly unusual to do so, despite the benefits.  I understand that the player gets some cash now, but I also believe there has to be some other benefit other than just cash up-front...but I don't personally know what that would be.  

• Like 1

If I'm interpreting how things work correctly the $2.15M that was converted to a signing bonus will hit the cap, each of the next 4 years at $537.5k? Meaning his cap charge would be:

2019: $4,418,750?

2020: $10,137,500

2021: $11,137,500

2022: $12,137,500

2023: $8,962,500

17 hours ago, swede700 said:

but I also believe there has to be some other benefit other than just cash up-front...but I don't personally know what that would be.

The benefit to the player is enhanced job security.  More money prorated later means there would be a larger dead cap hit for the team to move on from the player later.  Ergo, the team is less likely to move on from that player.

Another potential benefit is the tag ramifications.  If it is a player that is earning enough it will enhance the amount a team would be required to devote to holding that player for a year on one of the tags.

There really is no downside for players so they'll pretty much always agree.

There are some potential downsides for teams so they have to be careful.  The team avoids some risk if they do not have to do it.  However, when tight against the cap the benefit is enough for teams to go forward with giving players simple restructures.  The wise team will choose players that they are most certain are guys they want to have for a few more years.  The team will also look for players with as many years left on their contract as possible to mitigate some of the risks by spreading the proration between as many years as possible in order to minimize the total amount they have to convert.

Edited by Cearbhall
Three typos corrected
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 3:34 PM, VikeManDan said:

If I'm interpreting how things work correctly the $2.15M that was converted to a signing bonus will hit the cap, each of the next 4 years 5 years at $537.5k $430k? Meaning his cap charge would be:

2019: $4,418,750? ($4,848,750)

2020: $10,137,500 ($10,030,000)

2021: $11,137,500 ($11,030,000)

2022: $12,137,500 ($12,030,000)

2023: $8,962,500 ($9,930,000)

Was close. Needed to spread over the 5 years remaining including 2019. Correct cap hit in parenthesis above.

Edited by VikeManDan