Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

51 minutes ago, Robbroy45 said:

This seems...like a pretty good idea, and not too different from the role he played last year

Leaves the team pretty thin behind H. Smith and A. Harris.  Seems we have much better depth at LB, especially considering passing situations with out talent at DB and pulling a LB off the field.  Perhaps looking at him as a hybrid S/LB.  I suppose he could play some OLB and still be a back-up S if needed.

Edited by Snake Plissken

5 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Leaves the team pretty thin behind H. Smith and A. Harris.  Seems we have much better depth at LB, especially considering passing situations with out talent at DB and pulling a LB off the field.  Perhaps looking at him as a hybrid S/LB.  I suppose he could play some OLB and still be a back-up S if needed.

My first thoughts as well, we've already lost two Safeties this offseason. If this is the plan, the Vikes may need to find some cash to bring in a veteran FA.

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

My first thoughts as well, we've already lost two Safeties this offseason. If this is the plan, the Vikes may need to find some cash to bring in a veteran FA.

They'll likely only run with 4 safeties on roster as it is, so it's not really that big of a deal.  We didn't really even know Anthony Harris could handle playing full-time until last season and they've been fine.  If they can manage to keep Kearse as a hybrid LB/S and have 2 backup safeties as well, they'll be more than fine.  

Edited by swede700

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

There's safety in numbers ... of safeties.

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Could speak as to how comfortable they feel about the AAF kid and the rookie.

Zimmer/Gray have had a nearly flawless track record with DB evaluations and development since coming to Minnesota. 

Every significant acquisition (Munnerlyn, Newman, Waynes, Alexander, Hughes -- note, all corners) has panned out, at least after a year or so of development. 

All of their contract extensions (Smith, Sendejo, Rhodes) have been good value, with Smith and Rhodes winning All Pro after signing extensions, and Sendejo developing from a marginal starter to a good safety. 

They've found significant contributions from late round / UDFA acquisitions (Kearse a 7th rounder, Harris and Hill as UDFAs) despite serious concerns at the time they were added (Kearse was inconsistent in college, Harris was dramatically undersized, Hill had questions around drug use). 

The few draft picks that haven't hit have all been 7th rounders (James, Price, Tocho). 

They've also a few guys in camp who've turned out to be plus starters elsewhere (Kurt Coleman put up 11 INTs for the Panthers in 2 years, Justin Coleman turned into one of the better NCBs in the league and signed with the Lions for $36M/4). 

This year the Vikings start in great shape -- an embarrassment of riches at corner, and one of the best safety tandems in the league. Smith is the only DB who's 30. 

They've added the best safety in the AAF, and a couple more late round picks. Don't think we should expect anything from those additions this year, but there's absolutely no reason to worry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krauser said:

Zimmer/Gray have had a nearly flawless track record with DB evaluations and development since coming to Minnesota. 

Every significant acquisition (Munnerlyn, Newman, Waynes, Alexander, Hughes -- note, all corners) has panned out, at least after a year or so of development. 

All of their contract extensions (Smith, Sendejo, Rhodes) have been good value, with Smith and Rhodes winning All Pro after signing extensions, and Sendejo developing from a marginal starter to a good safety. 

They've found significant contributions from late round / UDFA acquisitions (Kearse a 7th rounder, Harris and Hill as UDFAs) despite serious concerns at the time they were added (Kearse was inconsistent in college, Harris was dramatically undersized, Hill had questions around drug use). 

The few draft picks that haven't hit have all been 7th rounders (James, Price, Tocho). 

They've also a few guys in camp who've turned out to be plus starters elsewhere (Kurt Coleman put up 11 INTs for the Panthers in 2 years, Justin Coleman turned into one of the better NCBs in the league and signed with the Lions for $36M/4). 

This year the Vikings start in great shape -- an embarrassment of riches at corner, and one of the best safety tandems in the league. Smith is the only DB who's 30. 

They've added the best safety in the AAF, and a couple more late round picks. Don't think we should expect anything from those additions this year, but there's absolutely no reason to worry.

While Sendejo certainly improved under Jerry Gray and Mike Zimmer, I never thought he was a "good" safety.  I would say that his deficiency consisted in mainly being a pretty poor tackler.  He was the guy who always looked for he big hit, but he couldn't wrap up a ball carrier to save the horns on his helmet.  good tackling for a safety is such a basic requirement, and Sendejo just wasn't very good at it.  I'm not sure his other skills compensated for his lack of tackling ability.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

While Sendejo certainly improved under Jerry Gray and Mike Zimmer, I never thought he was a "good" safety.  I would say that his deficiency consisted in mainly being a pretty poor tackler.  He was the guy who always looked for he big hit, but he couldn't wrap up a ball carrier to save the horns on his helmet.  good tackling for a safety is such a basic requirement, and Sendejo just wasn't very good at it.  I'm not sure his other skills compensated for his lack of tackling ability.

Take it for what it's worth, but analytically, Sendejo was considered an above-average safety, which could be considered "good" by some, but is probably just a level below good.  Either way, I think we can all agree that Harris probably has the potential to be better than Sendejo, who was decent, in his own right.  

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

While Sendejo certainly improved under Jerry Gray and Mike Zimmer, I never thought he was a "good" safety.

Call him what you want, Sendejo played considerably better in 2016 and 2017 than any of us expected he could. Reactions when he signed his contract extension heading into 2016 were almost entirely negative (I was unhappy with it), but he turned into a good player, and was well worth the deal. 

Point is just that I'm inclined to trust whatever Zimmer and co are comfortable doing with the safety depth this year.

• Like 4