Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Just now, VikeManDan said:

He was actually one of the higher rated players on defense per PFF (take it with a grain of salt). I had him as a double minus due to his two holding penalties on kick returns.

That's unfortunate that Kwenkeu got injured, because I understand he was having a pretty strong camp, especially on special teams. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Since several of us have been mods in the past, I'm not sure that's much of an excuse.  Certainly, I can go overboard at times, but I do try and check myself much of the time.  😂

Not to get on to too much of a soapbox, it's up to us to make it fun, not to rely on mods to keep us in control.  Help make it enjoyable again.  🎉  

MFFEA

Make Footballs Future Enjoyable Again

Doesn't really roll off the tongue.

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

If they're healthy they need to play.

Chandler is now the lead candidate for the #2 RB spot and Reagor and Powell both had good showings to put some heat on Nailor for WR4.

I think that with players like Nailor and Nwangwu, the coaching staff really knows what they have already and action in the third/fourth quarter of a preseason game isn't going to move the needle too much for them.  They've been on the team for 2 and 3 years, respectively. Unless they sign Kareem Hunt or another FA RB, Nwangwu is safe (especially after McBride's less than stellar performance returning kicks). I think Reagor and Powell are battling each other for WR5 more than they're battling Nailor for WR4. 

• Like 2

Agree to disagree, especially on Nwangwu. He's earned his roster spot as the KR but has done little to earn his keep as a RB and he needs to show some improvement. That will come with reps in a game and with the practice reps he's showing which the staff sees as you point out. Perhaps they're comfortable with what he's been doing but the visit by Hunt can probably make some eyebrows raise.

You're probably right on the Reagor/Powell/Nailor battle though.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, I see no reason to keep Nwangwu.  With the KR made virtually irrelevant and his ability to show no competence at anything other than that, he'd just take up a roster spot that someone else can fill. Ty Chandler can throw up his hand to fair catch too. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As far as I'm concerned, I see no reason to keep Nwangwu.  With the KR made virtually irrelevant and his ability to show no competence at anything other than that, he'd just take up a roster spot that someone else can fill. Ty Chandler can throw up his hand to fair catch too. 

This is a valid point as well.

I think I'd rest Chandler the rest of the pre-season and roll with Kene, McBride, and Smith in the last two games. That would tell us all we need to know about pursuing a veteran like Hunt.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Powell as well

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

But if he can prove his worth on other aspects of Special Teams, mainly coverage teams, that might make it worth keeping him around.

We usually only use 2 RBs to spell each other during games. Nwangwu will hardly ever be called in likely to spell Mattison/Chandler.

52 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

But if he can prove his worth on other aspects of Special Teams, mainly coverage teams, that might make it worth keeping him around.

We usually only use 2 RBs to spell each other during games. Nwangwu will hardly ever be called in likely to spell Mattison/Chandler.

Has Kene ever played in punt coverage?  That's the only other special teams he could play on.  And last I've heard there's several others on punt coverage that already would have a leg up on him, notably a guy like NaJee Thompson, who sounds like he's been one of the guys standing out on special teams.   

• Like 1