Red Dead Redemption 2

MikeT14

Played this game a ton this weekend. One thing I really like is that you aren't overloaded with missions. The maps massive and there's a lot to do, but the different missions popping up every now and then and also in succession to other events works for me. The last open-world game I played was Far Cry 5 and that game was way more chaotic. I think Rockstar made it like that to give you more freedom/slow down the playing experience a little.

Anyways I just started Chapter 3. Funds are low right now because I bought the aforementioned fast travel - going to crush missions throughout the week to build up some cash. Not really big on robbing places and things like that at the moment because the bounties are annoying as hell lol

I've heaped a ton of praise on the game... here are some of my early criticisms..

1) Clunky: moving, shooting, riding, running, it's just so wonky. But that seems to be a staple of the Rockstar games so I'm not all that bothered by it. But in a firefight I really hate the lack of response on the sticks. And the auto aim messes me up. I struggled with it in GTA5 and I still struggle with it now
2) The night and day cycles are too fast. It'll be 8:PM and getting dark so I start raiding houses. By the time I ride to one nearby, raid it, and escape to the fence it's already getting light again. It's like an entire night passes by in 30 realtime minutes
3) I'm still early in the story but so far the weapons are kind of blah. I know in 1899 there wasn't a huge variety of arms but it doesn't seem to matter what rifle I'm using they all feel about the same aside from their fire rate. The 3 or 4 different pistols feel very similar. Just doesn't seem like much reason for me to spend $ on upgrading them.
4) Already feels like there is too much available ammo and food provisions. I very rarely ever have to worry about my ammo level, seems like I'm at capacity at all times. Aside from the springfield rifle which the ammo seems to only be available from the catalog at the gun store. I'm always overloaded with food, I end up selling most of it. WIsh it felt more scarce

Thats all I got so far. Mostly the game has been amazing. I've only had it 2 days but I've put well over 20 hours in already (don't judge me I have 2 kids in college now and lots of free time). THe environments are gorgeous, the interactions with the NPC's are well done, the random events are entertaining, the voice acting is excellent, the characters are interesting. Just so so much to love. I will be playing through this a few times I think.

• Like 1

Yea, this game is clunky as hell.  I can tolerate it for the most part, but its the worst when I'm riding my horse and the controls just go bananas on me so I flip cartoonishly into the air after my horse runs into a tree.

I also don't like the AI in the game.  In big shoot-outs with any of my gang mates, it seems like it doesn't really matter if you take cover or not because they probably won't even shoot you.  Sometimes they do, but its 50/50.  There's also the occasional texture problems, but it's an open world game so nothing major and I bought the game on the OG Xbox One so that has something to do with it.

Otherwise I'm like you.  Not a lot of complaints.  There's just soooo much content.

Yeah just stared playing and definitely agree it's clunky.  Maybe it's just because I'm in the beginning but there seems to be so much restriction on my movements.  Arthur only moves so fast or my horse only goes so fast, hoping it opens up a bit once I get more into it. 

13 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

4) Already feels like there is too much available ammo and food provisions. I very rarely ever have to worry about my ammo level, seems like I'm at capacity at all times. Aside from the springfield rifle which the ammo seems to only be available from the catalog at the gun store. I'm always overloaded with food, I end up selling most of it. WIsh it felt more scarce

I think I've gotten to the point in the game where ammo is more of an issue and I have to go buy more, but honestly in Rockstar games, ammo's never been overly scarce like TLOU or RE or something. 

As good as this game is in terms of immersion and world building, it's equally bad in terms of gameplay. Holy crap is the aiming system absolute arse. I hate how the game basically was built to use auto aim. You guys talked about the clunkiness and I agree. I hate how it takes forever to clear a room because you have to perfectly position the character to open a drawer that will probably have nothing,

I'm kinda torn what I think of this game right now. On one hand I appreciate the ambitious effort to create a game where you have to think about your decisions and you have more severe consequences if you act recklessly, and you really feel like you're in the world. On the other hand the games is just flat out not fun to play from a gamplay perspective. I feel like in many scenarios you are given dog crap and expected to make chocolate cake. Why can enemies shoot me through bushes with perfect aim when I can't see them? Why are all my inputs delayed especially when aiming? Why is taking cover worthless half the time?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

As good as this game is in terms of immersion and world building, it's equally bad in terms of gameplay. Holy crap is the aiming system absolute arse. I hate how the game basically was built to use auto aim. You guys talked about the clunkiness and I agree. I hate how it takes forever to clear a room because you have to perfectly position the character to open a drawer that will probably have nothing,

I'm kinda torn what I think of this game right now. On one hand I appreciate the ambitious effort to create a game where you have to think about your decisions and you have more severe consequences if you act recklessly, and you really feel like you're in the world. On the other hand the games is just flat out not fun to play from a gamplay perspective. I feel like in many scenarios you are given dog crap and expected to make chocolate cake. Why can enemies shoot me through bushes with perfect aim when I can't see them? Why are all my inputs delayed especially when aiming? Why is taking cover worthless half the time?

Good point on the drawer thing, that first mission where I had to loot the cabin was a major turn off for me.  It took forever to slowly walk around and pick up items one by one.  

The world and interactions have me totally hooked on this game, but I think I agree with every point you made.  Granted I've only played for about 2-3 hours so I'm hoping I get used to it. 

I feel like Rockstar crossed a line with this game and tried to make it so realistic and immersive and tried to reflect that in the gameplay itself that they just made it not fun to play. Basically I feel like my life in the game is as hard as it would be living back then. Yet the world and story are so amazing that you are still willing to suffer through the gameplay to experience what it has to offer.  I dunno if this is genius or completely retarded.  Would the overall experience be the same if I would just glide through everything and clear areas and bandits smoothly and more satisfyingly? There are some gameplay oversights that are unforgivable, but I feel like some of them might be there by design? What a bizarre experience this game is.

I hope some of the gameplay things get worked out because I am really excited about the multiplayer. I dunno if I'd be willing to play it though in the game's current state....or maybe it will be amazing because everyone will be struggling and shootouts are going to take 10 mins because everyone will be playing like they're drunk cowboys which is how it actually was? I have no freaking clue.

Edited by Mossburg

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

While I see your points and agree with most of them, I'm not "suffering" through the gameplay. It's just different, for a little better some ways, and more worse than others. I'm still enjoying playing. 

I think a big part of it is just me. Between the last RDR and this one, I've mostly played online games that focus almost exclusively on smoothness of gameplay. Recently I've been playing a ton of Rocket League and Quake Champions, both games have extremely satisfying mechanics. I guess playing this makes me feel like I'm going back in time and playing a relic.

3 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I think a big part of it is just me. Between the last RDR and this one, I've mostly played online games that focus almost exclusively on smoothness of gameplay. Recently I've been playing a ton of Rocket League and Quake Champions, both games have extremely satisfying mechanics. I guess playing this makes me feel like I'm going back in time and playing a relic.

I get it. It's hard with online's quick, smoothless, to something that is literally telling you that you have to slow down. There are parts that are frustrating no doubt. I will be very intrigued to see what is altered for online. 

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

Whats your rank in RL tho?

My neighbor has a older system and his plays different from mine thats just months old. His gameplay is weird, lagging and such. For me its smooth, Im not noticing any chunkiness. Plays no different than that Spiderman game the kids play. Im loving the gameplay, just like GTA5.

• Like 1

I'm loving the slower pace so far. The gun play feels a little too snappy and I would have liked it a little grittier but in all everything feels ok. I think the most apt description of this game is Red Dead Redemption was GTA with Cowboys. Red Dead Redemption 2 is a cowboy simulator. Although at first I wasn't a fan the slower pace is really drawing me in. I spent an hour yesterday just catching wild horses and another hour playing poker. I no other game did I spend time doing mundane tasks and actually enjoying it like this one.