2017 Cornerback Review Part 7: Patrick Peterson

RandyMossIsBoss

On 7/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, ET80 said:

I get the personality concerns, but it still kills me that Kevin Johnson was picked ahead of him...

Particularly when you consider the position.  Certain positions, it just is what it is, you come to expect (if not outright excuse) guys being slightly different cats by comparison to the expected norm, personality-wise.  In a sense, it's almost like professional fighters - you tend to find a trend of those more "brash" personalities among the guys who truly make their mark at certain positions, it just kind of comes with the territory.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:31 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Marcus Peters

Notable Takeaways:

• Allowed opposing passer rating of 44.8, lowest recorded yet.
  • Lined up almost exclusively at LCB on plays I counted.
  • Allowed just 1 TD and picked off 5 passes in final 10 games. 

Headcase and all, still cant believe the Chefs let a talent like that go.

11 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Headcase and all, still cant believe the Chefs let a talent like that go.

Just goes to show how much of a headcase he is...he was a 1st round talent, but the University of Washington was all too quick to kick him off the team for his behavior.

KC moving on from such a dynamic defender is very telling.

The way I see it with Peters is who Andy Reid and the Chiefs chose him in the 1st round. He cant be that much of a headcase from that happening. He doesnt get in trouble off the field. His problem is on the field where a young guy cant control his emotions. I believe still to the day, and Nick Wright "First Things First" said it best (by the way Nick Wright is a Chiefs fan and he hated the move that the Chiefs traded way Peters), Peters was all for the protest of the Anthem and in Kansas City thats a big no. The community doesnt want players to protest. Not to mention yes Peters antics on the field. No way the Chiefs was going to invest big money of a guy to be the future cornerstone not only just on defense but on the entire team. Lets face it, Hill has done far worst things in his life than Peters. Kelce has done some bad things as well. Kelce got an extension and Hill hasnt been in any rumors of getting traded. Also a side note, Peters also didnt how the Chiefs traded Smith. Remember Smith got traded before Peters got traded. So add all that up and thats why Peters is in LA.

The way I see it, as Peters mature and he has the like of Joyner and Talib (who helped mentor Harris Jr. and Roby in Denver), plus Wade Phillips, his antics will be less and less. Being in LA, the community isnt as passionately against protesting like it is in Kansas City. Peters will fit in just fine. Again, people will bring up the LA lifestyle. Ill say it again, Peters hasnt got in trouble off the field. He even said it at his press conference when a reported asked him about character concerns.

As for the football player, the Rams got a young stud player. We will look back years from now and say that the trade for Peters was the best trade the Rams made since Marshall Faulk. Speaking of Faulk, he had his immaturity issues as a young player in Indy that got him shipped out. He said that when he started to mature it was too late because had already been traded. Had he not had those immaturity issues, we couldve had Faulk and Peyton leading the way in Indy. Funny how things work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 1:18 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Kendall Fuller up. New season is almost here so I probably won't get through as many of these as I'd have liked, but I am hoping to get 3 more done: PP, William Jackson III and Casey Hayward.

First I wanna say, good job. It takes a lot of time and effort to do this kind of thing. I tell myself every year that I’d like to do something similar and just never put the full effort into it.

secondly, no big play slay?? Come on now!

19 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

So far for Fuller; his technique as you pointed out, is what’s impressed people in camp thus far. Has quick feet and technically sound

Fuller was first round talent. Arguablely top 15. Local guy. Naturally the Redskins trade him for Captain Checkdown.

On 8/5/2018 at 1:18 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Kendall Fuller up. New season is almost here so I probably won't get through as many of these as I'd have liked, but I am hoping to get 3 more done: PP, William Jackson III and Casey Hayward.

Thank you for the feedback on the personal request. I greatly appreciate you and your effort.

Fuller was great last year.  One thing I'm sure you saw when watching him, but didn't mention in your write-up, is how great he was at sniffing out screens and consistently putting himself in position to blow them up.  That was huge for us last year, and was an underrated aspect of his game.  His instincts are off the charts, and I think he'll have a good career.  I believe he would have had a great career playing with what I think will be a very very good (and young) Redskins DL over the next few years.

My main worry with Fuller, if I was a Chiefs' fan, would be that he wasn't forced to cover for as long as his peers were due to the Redskins' ability to put pressure on the QB so frequently, and so quickly.  This, in comparison to the Chiefs, who ranked bottom 5 in the league last year in pressure percentage.  

How much of his improvement last year was due to being fully healthy in Year 2 and the natural improvement from rookie season to sophomore season, and how much was due to playing on a defense that led the league in pressure percentage?  It's similar to the Patrick Robinson phenomenon last year with that beastly Eagles DL, albeit Fuller is much younger, and should be given more benefit of the doubt that he'll repeat his performance.  Still, I believe it's a legitimate question.

No team put pressure on opposing quarterbacks at a higher rate last year than … drumroll, please … the Redskins! The Redskins? Yep—per Football Outsiders’ premium charting data, Washington got pressure on a league-high 36.7 percent of opponent pass plays—the highest quarterback pressure rate, in fact, of any team in the league over the past three seasons (which is as far back as their tracking goes). Not all of these pressures produced sacks, of course—Washington finished fourth in the league with an 8.1 percent adjusted sack ratewhile racking up 42 quarterback takedowns on the year (seventh)—but a league-best 90 percent of those sacks were of the high-quality variety; just four came on non-pressure plays like coverage sacks or situations where the quarterback ran himself into trouble.

In other words, the Redskins defensive front was as underrated as it was disruptive. That unit got consistent pressure on opposing passers, whether it came from its top edge rushers (like Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith, who combined for 21.0 sacks) or via blitz (47.6 percent of which generated pressure, sixth best). That performance is even more intriguing when you consider that top pick Jonathan Allen missed all but five games; add him back into the mix, along with the team’s top selection this year, Daron Payne, and we may not be sleeping on Washington’s defensive front for much longer.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/6/21/17486716/weird-nfl-stats-2018

Also, different source (note Chiefs in the bottom 5):

And quick pressure:

QuickPressureRate.jpg

On 8/6/2018 at 11:06 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Fuller was great last year.  One thing I'm sure you saw when watching him, but didn't mention in your write-up, is how great he was at sniffing out screens and consistently putting himself in position to blow them up.  That was huge for us last year, and was an underrated aspect of his game.  His instincts are off the charts, and I think he'll have a good career.  I believe he would have had a great career playing with what I think will be a very very good (and young) Redskins DL over the next few years.

My main worry with Fuller, if I was a Chiefs' fan, would be that he wasn't forced to cover for as long as his peers were due to the Redskins' ability to put pressure on the QB so frequently, and so quickly.  This, in comparison to the Chiefs, who ranked bottom 5 in the league last year in pressure percentage.  

How much of his improvement last year was due to being fully healthy in Year 2 and the natural improvement from rookie season to sophomore season, and how much was due to playing on a defense that led the league in pressure percentage?  It's similar to the Patrick Robinson phenomenon last year with that beastly Eagles DL, albeit Fuller is much younger, and should be given more benefit of the doubt that he'll repeat his performance.  Still, I believe it's a legitimate question. 

Coming out of Virginia Tech, he reminded me of Adam ‘Pacman’ Jones; the Tennessee Titans’ version.

Archived